GM Top 100 courses

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe you would get it if you played a few of the classic links or Surrey sandbelt courses? I wonder if perhaps, given other posts you have written, the "traditional" clubs would not float your boat anyway?

I think the Grove is like the Belfry, the Oxfordshire, the Warwickshire, Foxhills, Queenwood, Woburn, Wisley etc. Not what you would call a proper club. Just courses where people come and play, lacking in charm, camaraderie and the sense of belonging that you get from established clubs. It isn't their fault necessarily - you can't buy history - but the Grove is basically a hotel complex plus a course. Quite nice but very overpriced and not in the same league as lesser known clubs; the West Sussex or Hankley Common for example.

While I'm inclined to agree with the tone of this, it should be pointed out that the List - and the reason folk visit - is for the Golf Course, not the Golf Club! Resort complexes only need a veneer of the Customer Service, that should be second nature to them, in order to get full marks for 'Welcome etc'. That will almost certainly be slightly different to the 'clubby' one provided by true Golf Clubs. Which style floats your boat more is up to the individual - I'm probably pretty neutral but expect a certain quality from either - but neither should be favoured when compiling a 'Top 100 Colf Courses', as opposed to a 'Top 100 Golf Clubs' imo.

I do wonder how 'Facilities' are measured for St Andrews Old Course though! :whistle:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That 10th at Wallasey has tripped me up the both times I've played it.
Good tee shot then under clubbed up the hill both times
Is there a worse shot in golf, especially when you've hit it well just to see that ball trickling back towards you :rofl:

I don't know the the stroke index but on paper it should be a piece of cake. Good hole though.. A little different and certainly gets you thinking.

SI12 and its a nothing hole 310 yards and 200+ of those are to the dog leg.

I don't ever think ive hit the 10th in regulation, always underclub and the once i did get it half right I was through the back and lost the ball.

Hate the hole, I just need to learn how to play the effin thing :rofl:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Baaaaa - youse are all sheep.:)

I think its hard to split them, as I said. Play West Lancs in the summer and judge it then.

It is definitely tougher, of that there is no doubt. Better will be subjective.

Your right Fish, the "club" at Wallasey is a lot better in comparison to WL (their club house looks like Grange Hill), although Wallasey's locker room could do with an upgrade - you didn't build them when the joiners were on strike in the 70's did you? ;)

Maybe we'll get an "invite" to play it again ;)

The locker room although clean and tidy is looking dated but not tired, the shower room is :thup: though.

West Lancs locker room in comparison is streets ahead.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ouch, i do get your point ;)

As of this year there is a new pavilion at the 1st tee of the Old Course which acts as a waiting room, cafe and caddy facility for people playing the Old. Staff will also happily ferry you between the public Links clubhouse and the pavilion on buggies. Given the balancing act between the demand for development and preservation of the area, I think they're doing a pretty good job of improving things without harming the mystique.

The only fair criticism I think you can make of the Old Course in its facilities now is that there's no practice range in easy walking range (there is a shuttle bus). But that's a minor gripe in the scheme of things when you're playing the Old. Where else do you get a near constant public gallery waiting for you on the 18th? No other course has that as a feature and it's pretty magical.