GM Top 100 courses

D

Deleted member 15344

Just sat here thinking about Beau Desert. Couldn't remember the name, but after playing it a couple of years ago, I walked off thinking 'I'd pay the £50 to just walk around the place again'

Not played it before but not remembering the name of the course might tell a story ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Val, I agree.

I wouldn't include Royal Liverpool in my top courses. Apart from the history, the place isn't really all that. Maybe because its on my patch but I don't see the appeal. Having played it, I wasn't bowled over. Found it very ordinary. Very well kept but not spectacular in design.

Wallasey though; is outstanding. One of my favourite courses. Every single hole different and rewarding and better views. If there was any space at all to fit grandstands in the place would be an open championship course without doubt!

I think Bromborough is better than Hoylake (and Paul Waring plays there)

Where do you play Tony?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where do you play Tony?

I'm a nomad ATM Val. I was at Upton by Chester untill 2010. However, this year i'm looking at rejoining a club and can't decide between Bromborough and Wallasey. Get to play Most of the Wirral courses with work society.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just had a peruse of the Top 100 'mini-site' - selected from the 'Latest News' bar, so that does work (even if there's lots of empty space below).

Can I suggest a slight alteration to the scoring - of the Condition and Presentation section. While I'm a little less concerned than most about quality of Tees - as long as the area is flat works fine for me - one thing that really gets up my nose is daft signage.

I've lost count of the number of courses that have the signs only hidden in places that, if you can see the sign the sign isn't required as you are on the right path! So if any have that condition, then a negative mark should be awarded for 'signage'! I'm afraid Blackmoor is one of them (between 12 & 13) and Wentworth Edinburgh certainly is (between 2 &3 and 16 & 17)! I can even remember thinking the 4th at Huntercombe looked a bit samey to earlier hole, having turned right and gone to the obvious next tee, rather than left to follow a hidden path, where the sign to the correct one was! :rant:

All you do is follow the trolley paths, and it will take you to the next tee. Each hole has just one path. If you decide to go off piste, and take your trolley across the greens, through the heather, or in and out of the bunkers I can understand you getting lost.:rolleyes: While I call them trolley paths they can be used by golfers carrying.:thup:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with you Andy about Moortown, of the ones in the top 100 I have played, around 8 that is the only one that didn't live up to expectations. Got a few booked in for next year and hopefully Alwoodley and Ganton will be added to that list too.

Alwoodley is defo on my 'to do' list next Summer Josh. The gallery on the website has some stunning pics!!!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a nomad ATM Val. I was at Upton by Chester untill 2010. However, this year i'm looking at rejoining a club and can't decide between Bromborough and Wallasey. Get to play Most of the Wirral courses with work society.

Wallasey are taking members in currently, if you get an application in quick you might just manage in for February all being well, way to late for January now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
All you do is follow the trolley paths, and it will take you to the next tee. Each hole has just one path. If you decide to go off piste, and take your trolley across the greens, through the heather, or in and out of the bunkers I can understand you getting lost.:rolleyes: While I call them trolley paths they can be used by golfers carrying.:thup:

That one at Blackmoor isn't as bad as some others as, if you look around, it's the logical path to follow. But that also means the sign is rather pointless - certainly where it is - it may as well be reworded to state 'Yes, you've come the right way'! Golf sign makers could make those in bulk! :rofl:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I do like Caldy and Heswall.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Enjoy Sherwood Forest, I'm off there on Saturday for a lesson, it's a great track. Also I'd back up the need to play The Hotchkin, a superb course and you really have no excuse if you live in Lincs!

Hacker, what part of the world are you from if your having a lesson at Sherwood, it is the nearest golf course to me.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Both Decent tracks, Caldy wasn't as good as people made it out to be. I wouldn't join either as a member, but do enjoy the occasional games there.

I played Leasowe once, not a top course but has some good links holes. Eagled the first :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its an interesting point about clubs not accepting visitors and green fees being in the top 100. I don't think it's right but as GM have pointed out there are a number of factors involved and this wouldn't appear to be a major consideration

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Leasowe once, not a top course but has some good links holes. Eagled the first :)

I love the first at Leasowe, Would be even better if it was about 50 - 100 yards longer. The second is a bit bland and the 3rd is brilliant. After that it all gets a bit samey samey.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, definitely high on my list, I had a tee-time booked the day before playing Moortowns Open but it was a little too late in the day.

Well up for a little meet at Alwoodley

Had a little look on website it's £100 weekends or £70 after 2pm on a Sunday in summer.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yeah, definitely high on my list, I had a tee-time booked the day before playing Moortowns Open but it was a little too late in the day.

Well up for a little meet at Alwoodley
Alwoodley is just cracking. Best course in Leeds by miles. The twilight offer in the summer is the best deal unless your a cat 1 golfer playing the Yorkshire order of merit. It's defo worthy of a forum meet next year.