GM Top 100 courses

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I should point out just because im a member my view isnt biased. If i had been a member at old mach i would still have said the same. Dont get me started about my home course at Irvine

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played Cruden Bay but I've heard some rave reviews of it from those that have.
I'd be interested to know from those that have played both what strengths Trevose has for it to be ranked above Cruden..

*Ive played Trevose many times

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't played Cruden Bay but I've heard some rave reviews of it from those that have.
I'd be interested to know from those that have played both what strengths Trevose has for it to be ranked above Cruden..

*Ive played Trevose many times
Haven't played Trevose, but know quite a few that have and they were not over impressed. I am playing it next year, so will be able to make up my own mind. Cruden Bay is nice, but I was disappointed that it had a temporary green, and a couple of greens that seemed to have been painted with green glue. Also had a few ok holes, but does have great views. Think courses like Cinque Ports, S & A, St Andrews New are stronger courses, though they don't have the views. Loved Murcar and pleased to see it is in the top 100.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Where do you think it should be?

Its hard to say but I wouldnt put it at 5 theres so just many better courses in Scotland,it looks like the Open courses are favoured in that pole but why?
Whats going on with Woodhall Spa for years it was always high in that list.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its hard to say but I wouldnt put it at 5 theres so just many better courses in Scotland,it looks like the Open courses are favoured in that pole but why?

I've played most of the top courses in Scotland and I wouldn't put many above it. It's a superb layout and a proper test of your game.

All about opinions though.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is Carnoustie really the 5th best golf course in Britain :confused:

Wouldn't be in my top 5 either.

It's tough as old boots, a real boot in the chuckies type of course if your game is off. Not a pretty course and not really a track that is easy on the eye. Some very good holes but others that are basically a slog. I know I'm in a minority but I rate Royal Troon higher than it.

D

Deleted member 17920

I guess Woodhall has dropped down due to the new courses that have been built, Woodhall will never be in the same league for spending as trump Aberdeen and the likes.

will be interesting to see how the work Tom Doak is doing affects its place in a few years time, the 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th and 13th have just been done and these holes are going to be stunning once grown in about May time.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess Woodhall has dropped down due to the new courses that have been built, Woodhall will never be in the same league for spending as trump Aberdeen and the likes.

will be interesting to see how the work Tom Doak is doing affects its place in a few years time, the 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th and 13th have just been done and these holes are going to be stunning once grown in about May time.

I saw the interview in National Club Golfer and the changes sound and look superb Glyn - have to come and have a look in the summer - love heathland courses opening up the views and getting rid of gorse!

http://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/2016/12/15/tom-doak-woodhall-spa-restoration/

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw the interview in National Club Golfer and the changes sound and look superb Glyn - have to come and have a look in the summer - love heathland courses opening up the views and getting rid of gorse!

http://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/2016/12/15/tom-doak-woodhall-spa-restoration/

Good read that, thanks for posting.

Played April 2015 but can't remember loads, was at a time when I didn't know what i was doing from one shot to the next. Was me vs me rather than the course!!!

Might get out there next summer at some point.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good read that, thanks for posting.

Played April 2015 but can't remember loads, was at a time when I didn't know what i was doing from one shot to the next. Was me vs me rather than the course!!!

Might get out there next summer at some point.

I reckon a Woodhall summer trip sounds a good idea :D The sun was out out and lots of great memories from the same last year - and would love to see the changes to the course

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon a Woodhall summer trip sounds a good idea :D The sun was out out and lots of great memories from the same last year - and would love to see the changes to the course

Early/Mid July is about the best I can do.

Would have to be a weekend too.

Am signed up to the eyeballs for 2017!!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wouldn't be in my top 5 either.

It's tough as old boots, a real boot in the chuckies type of course if your game is off. Not a pretty course and not really a track that is easy on the eye. Some very good holes but others that are basically a slog. I know I'm in a minority but I rate Royal Troon higher than it.

I'm with you Jacko. I've played Carnoustie twice and did not enjoy it as mugh as I have done at R Troon. Other than the hole Hogan's Alley the memorable holes are memorable for the wrong reasons. I have a chance of getting back there in 2017 so hopefully I will get a better feel for it and enjoy it more.