GM Top 100 courses

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not had chance to look at the full list yet, but was surprised the Trump Aberdeen had moved up. It will be a great course in 10 years, but currently it doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. The greens are average at best and the whole course just doesn't quite feel like it fits the scenery yet. It's like a publicity photo of Madonna. Looks great until you get up close and personal.

Oh, and S&A is better than Hillside. Wallasey (which I'm playing again on Thursday) should be higher too. Still, you know what they say about opinions.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really need to get the finger out and play S&A, especially as I get it on reciprocal.

My reciprocal aswell plus Pete to host and we still didn't arrange it this year did we!? I played it a couple of times this year though and like it more and more every time.

Definitely get a game sorted there :thup:

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
its true some exclusive clubs say they dont want to be included in the top 100 rankings but our decision was based on reader feedback.

there is a piece in the issue explaining the rationale but in a nutshell we have over the years had more and more feedback saying the list should only be courses you can play and almost to a man the people who took part in our focus groups in september said we shouldn't include them

we have listened to that feedback and acted on it

Which courses are excluded?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah yes.

What about places like wisely, archerfield, renaissance and queenwood? Sorry I don't have the list in front of me

Archefield missed out last time and for the reasons it missed out I'd suggest it might do again this year. The Fidras greens weren't great this year

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would some clubs not want to be included in the top 100?

I have a feeling some believe they should be higher than they get rated and they are not happy with that - Queenwood for example are prob the most exclusive club in the country and expect to be in the Top 10 but prob don't make it

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My reciprocal aswell plus Pete to host and we still didn't arrange it this year did we!? I played it a couple of times this year though and like it more and more every time.

Definitely get a game sorted there :thup:

I didn't play much at all on the NW this year. I don't think I managed a full 18 at Wallasey and had to make do with 9 more often than not

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a feeling some believe they should be higher than they get rated and they are not happy with that - Queenwood for example are prob the most exclusive club in the country and expect to be in the Top 10 but prob don't make it

Makes sense, just. Can't be number one so don't want to be in at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some interesting courses in the next 100 and a few on there I'd easily swap into the top 100. Hindhead and Royal Wimbledon are two for me that deserve a place (albeit in the lower echelon) of the first 100

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Purely from the layout etc I can't see where Formby and Hillside have the edge over S&A.

For me The only aspect of the course that would peg it back against the other 2 is the few holes on back 9 when your alongside the road & houses. Although this doesn't seem to do Royal Lytham any harm in the rankings and that big wall next to the train track on the 1st at Hillside is a bit of an eyesore too.

Personally I'd say S&A is probably the most interesting/engaging course of the 3.
To have it only a few places above Trevose is bananas!!

Trevose is one of the most overrated golf courses I've ever played!

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ah the old hillside vs formby debate.

Peter you are still wrong and now we can include the GM reviewers in that bracket as well ;)

its Formby, S&A then Hillside every time, it's no contest.

From memory when it was debated on here it was pretty evenly split between people who preferred Hillside or Formby.

It seemed to be the better players, and ones who got O levels who liked Hillside more.:rofl:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From memory when it was debated on here it was pretty evenly split between people who preferred Hillside or Formby.

It seemed to be the better players, and ones who got O levels who liked Hillside more.:rofl:
No 11+ but got a few 0'Levels.... so as a late developer I'd go with Hillside...if only for the back 9..... not bettered where ever I've been... must mean something :)