Favourite curry

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Forget all this mince pie nonsense, they're for girls. Proper man food is curry, what is your favourite?

Choice of 2 for me, either a chicken pathia or a chilli chicken mossala.

You can’t try giving it the ‘big man’ routine then name two dishes that barely register as spicy.

My girly wife would tell you they are both dishes you order for the kids when they are young ?

We tend to get something different every time but our favorites are, Naga Mirch Masala, Shahi Jeera Masala and Roushoni Modhu.

I do like a Dansak too, but I get my local place to add some Naga pickle to give it a bit of kick.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to mix it up and try a lot of different ones, avoid the spiciest though as wiping my eyes and blowing my nose doesn't make for enjoyable meal for me. :LOL: My favourites are korma, butter chicken, tikka massala, lamb pasanda, lamb rogan, chicken saag/palak, karahi/korai, makhani etc. You can't really go wrong with curry there's so many good ones. Impossible to pick one favourite for me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My local takeaway does a lamb balti which is utter heaven and my go to dish every time. Saying that, I don't know it if translates across menus. Is it always the same in other takeaways and restaurants or is it different in each? It is a mid spiced dish, spicy, rich (thanks rudebhoy for that apt description) but not hot. More repeatable, Lamb Rogan Josh would be my choice in a restaurant, again another mid range one.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homemade Thai green curry I like the subtle taste of Thia food I’m not a big fan of Indian / Chinese takeaways to stodgy and to much additives.

Much more flavor some if you make it yourself plus you can make it to your own taste.

Another bonus is you can open a bottle of wine and listen to music and not have to watch that dance program on a Saturday. ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If I'm going to a new restaurant for the first time then I'll have a Chicken Jalfrezi, Plain Rice and a Peshwari Naan....and if they do them, a Shami Kebab for a starter.

Once I'm familiar with a restaurants general range I'll tend to gravitate towards the more spicy chefs special dishes on the menu. When I was younger, the hotter the better, but these days I never venture into Phall territory...in my middle ages I prefer to be able to taste the flavours in my food rather than have my tastebuds scorched from my tongue.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My local takeaway does a lamb balti which is utter heaven and my go to dish every time. Saying that, I don't know it if translates across menus. Is it always the same in other takeaways and restaurants or is it different in each? It is a mid spiced dish, spicy, rich (thanks rudebhoy for that apt description) but not hot. More repeatable, Lamb Rogan Josh would be my choice in a restaurant, again another mid range one.

My missus always has a Jalfrezi, however you get massive variations from place to place with this dish, from very mild to hotter than Madras. Fine if you have been to the restaurant before and know what to expect, but not a dish to order blind imo.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to Abergavenny Food Festival and saw a demonstration by Cyrus Todiwalla. He had a good rant about people always saying they are going for a curry when they are going for an Indian. He, quite rightly, said that there is not a dish called curry on an Indian menu. When people go for a Thai, when there is red and green curry on the menu they never say they are having a curry, they say Thai.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I'm going to a new restaurant for the first time then I'll have a Chicken Jalfrezi, Plain Rice and a Peshwari Naan....and if they do them, a Shami Kebab for a starter.

Once I'm familiar with a restaurants general range I'll tend to gravitate towards the more spicy chefs special dishes on the menu. When I was younger, the hotter the better, but these days I never venture into Phall territory...in my middle ages I prefer to be able to taste the flavours in my food rather than have my tastebuds scorched from my tongue.

When I first moved to the NE, we would occasionally end up in the Rupali in the Bigg Market. The guy who owned it was a great one for publicity, and used to offer a dish called Curry Hell. If you finished it, you got it for free. 3 of us tried it one night, it was the hottest thing I've ever had, two or three spoonfuls and your mouth was on fire. Needless to say, none of us managed it. I asked the owner if anyone ever finished it, he laughed and said "one or two have, but they never came back".

RichA

Visit site
I'm a midlander, so lamb balti has to be number 1.
Close second is homemade chickpea jalfrezi. Mrs Patak makes very good pastes.