Reducing your carbon emissions thread

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
See I will change my plans slightly to suit when low carbon electric is available

Today is my prime example

Mrs needed a second wash done so I said get it on to finish at 6 so we don't pay for it let the battery cover it as it's gonna be sunny today

Then because it's so sunny today I've managed to run the clean cycle on the dishwasher, washing machine and descaled the kettle

All whilst still having a full battery and exporting to the grid (5kw thus far, only taken 11.5 from grid all day)

All this kind of stuff I save for when I'm home and the sun is out rather than using the grid to do it .. yes saves me cash but also it's green

Before when I have no jobs to do I'll plug the car in via the 3 pin socket and let the excess solar fill it up for free
What is the main driver for you? I have changed things for health reasons (less red meat) and because they are cheaper, being green I just see as an added bonus

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the main driver for you? I have changed things for health reasons (less red meat) and because they are cheaper, being green I just see as an added bonus

Bit of both, saving some money was very nice . But I really been drawn into reducing my emissions where I can

Little changes and big ones where possible

D

Deleted member 18121

I dont do any more than the basics.... recycle at home whenever I can, donate wherever we can, I do most of my travel on train or cycle... only 3,000 miles per year in the car.

The trouble I have with the move to electric/battery operated way of living is this...... the amount of mining operations we have in the world is nowhere near sufficient to provide the predicted needs in the future for battery production. Supposedly it takes around 15 years for a mine to be setup and then start producing the goods we need to create said batteries, so how much damage will be done in the setup of these mines let alone the fact that we're still ripping stuff out of the ground to meet our needs.

It could be complete guff, but depending on which "scientist" you listen to.... allegedly you could run your existing petrol powered car for anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles before it would do as much damage as the production of a brand new EV.

For me I dont see how the solution is batteries..... I'm much more interested in hydrogen or synthetic fuels, but again I'm sure there are pit falls in those too.

Then you have the notion that even if the UK went completed net 0 tomorrow, it would only affect the global situation by less than 1%.

Unfortunately I'm more doom monger and issue raiser than answer provider...... but I'll do my bit as best I can, but I dont feel comfortable currently with the intended route.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont do any more than the basics.... recycle at home whenever I can, donate wherever we can, I do most of my travel on train or cycle... only 3,000 miles per year in the car.

The trouble I have with the move to electric/battery operated way of living is this...... the amount of mining operations we have in the world is nowhere near sufficient to provide the predicted needs in the future for battery production. Supposedly it takes around 15 years for a mine to be setup and then start producing the goods we need to create said batteries, so how much damage will be done in the setup of these mines let alone the fact that we're still ripping stuff out of the ground to meet our needs.

It could be complete guff, but depending on which "scientist" you listen to.... allegedly you could run your existing petrol powered car for anywhere from 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles before it would do as much damage as the production of a brand new EV.

For me I dont see how the solution is batteries..... I'm much more interested in hydrogen or synthetic fuels, but again I'm sure there are pit falls in those too.

Then you have the notion that even if the UK went completed net 0 tomorrow, it would only affect the global situation by less than 1%.

Unfortunately I'm more doom monger and issue raiser than answer provider...... but I'll do my bit as best I can, but I dont feel comfortable currently with the intended route.

I really want this to not turn into the EV thread. There's enough to and throw on the pros and cons of EVs in there to last longer than all cars

Like you say it depends which science you listen to

Keeping an eye on hydrogen closely but looks like we are giving up with it replacing the gas grid for heating

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nuclear power. All we have to do is work out a way to store the waste for 100000 years and off we go. Personally, I think we should just buy a rocket from the 𝕏 guy and send the waste into the sun.

Very pro building new nuclear the main issue isn't even that side.. it's where is gonna be where can you put them

People moan about wind turbines making their view look awful and solar farms apparently an eye soar

Those councils will turn down jobs to get nuclear not near them

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Very pro building new nuclear the main issue isn't even that side.. it's where is gonna be where can you put them

People moan about wind turbines making their view look awful and solar farms apparently an eye soar

Those councils will turn down jobs to get nuclear not near them
And yet agriculture is accepted and even considered a pretty landscape. Farmers's fields and hedgerows are not a natural landscape.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nuclear power. All we have to do is work out a way to store the waste for 100000 years and off we go. Personally, I think we should just buy a rocket from the 𝕏 guy and send the waste into the sun.

Fallacy. Space Karen is not the answer to anything and sending payloads to the sun is massively inefficient with huge costs. Plus any atompsheric radioactive explosion would be very very very very very very bad.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We recycle as much as we can - because they collect the recycling bins every week as opposed to every two weeks for the normal bin. So it gets the rubbish down quicker. My wife chucks all kinds of things in there. Do they take wood and metal? Who cares, chuck it all in there.

My mate bought an electric vehicle - Nissan Leaf, I think it was the only one he could afford - not because he wants to save the planet but it was when the petrol prices went sky-high and he knee-jerked into it. When we had our golf trip (two-ish hour drive) start of this month he was having to ask around for a lift because his car wouldn't make it, and he didn't know where any charging points were on route. Or didn't want to sit around at one for an hour I guess - one or the other. On a Sunday morning he goes down to Asda or Morrison's and has a coffee in their café while charging his car for an hour or two. I'm pretty sure he regrets buying it now petrol has gone back to normal. :ROFLMAO:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Fallacy. Space Karen is not the answer to anything and sending payloads to the sun is massively inefficient with huge costs. Plus any atompsheric radioactive explosion would be very very very very very very bad.
I was about to point out the same thing, but just to reinforce the point, it takes far more fuel to get a spacecraft to the sun than it does to send it out the other way into interstellar space. Seems counter-intuitive but physics is like that sometimes.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
you should start to look at your IT usage. Cloud storage like iCloud, AWS, Photobucket etc, have a huge carbon footprint. Your IT use itself, Netflix, and social media, all use big power! If all of Ronaldo's followers look at one Instagram post, that requires enough electricity to power Stoke for 4 hours.

What changes can you make?

Take unnecessary people from cc on emails
Permanently delete photos you will never want from your phone and cloud
Only watch Netflix in SD, or HD, do you really need 4k?

If you want to get really nerdy, start to look at the companies/apps/services you use and boycott the bad ones! (Typically hosted in APAC) TikTok, Alibaba. Ebay have been at the fore of efficient IT for a long time for examples, but may are simply playing lip service.

IT and data centers equate to circa 3% of global electricity use...

Can anyone tell this is what I do for a job?!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Further to my post,

Golfmonthly.com is hosted by Amazon web services and fastly, looks to be in Chicago. They will be renting space from someone big! Probably Digital Realty, they have 7 datacenters in Chicago with over 300GW of power available.

The forum, is actually hosted somewhere else, company called Choopa who again sub let from a bigger co. They have presence in LA, Amsterdam, NY and Japan.

So every forum post you do, gets sent to LA, it comes back, its stored in LA and probably replicated and stored in Amsterdam as well as a minimum, every post has a carbon footprint and the more its viewed, the bigger it gets. So if you want to do your thing and reduce your carbon footprint? Say nothing.... It probably dropped significantly when Homer left...

Last edited:

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Further to my post,

Golfmonthly.com is hosted by Amazon web services and fastly, looks to be in Chicago. They will be renting space from someone big! Probably Digital Realty, they have 7 datacenters in Chicago with over 300GW of power available.

The forum, is actually hosted somewhere else, company called Choopa who again sub let from a bigger co. They have presence in LA, Amsterdam, NY and Japan.

So every forum post you do, gets sent to LA, it comes back, its stored in LA and probably replicated and stored in Amsterdam as well as a minimum, every post has a carbon footprint and the more its viewed, the bigger it gets. So if you want to do your thing and reduce your carbon footprint? Say nothing.... It probably dropped significantly when Homer left...

Traceroute gets me to vultrusercontent.com

traceroute to forums.golfmonthly.com (66.42.108.247), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 wanu (90.155.48.129) 3.436 ms 1.761 ms 7.005 ms
2 q.gormless.thn.aa.net.uk (90.155.53.124) 9.519 ms 8.974 ms 10.264 ms
3 e.aimless.tch.aa.net.uk (90.155.53.45) 9.196 ms 9.165 ms 9.812 ms
4 xe-0-0-0-3-7.r04.londen05.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (192.80.17.249) 10.555 ms 10.174 ms 10.042 ms
5 ae-7.r20.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.4.140) 12.330 ms 10.083 ms 10.420 ms
6 ae-1.r21.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.2.183) 10.421 ms 10.615 ms 14.014 ms
7 ae-13.r25.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.2.111) 86.266 ms 90.441 ms 85.181 ms
8 ae-2.r25.lsanca07.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.189) 213.383 ms 202.542 ms 205.081 ms
9 ae-1.a03.lsanca07.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.142) 204.447 ms 204.241 ms
ae-1.a04.lsanca07.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.81) 204.833 ms
10 xe-3-5-0-1.a03.lsanca07.us.ce.gin.ntt.net (129.250.207.190) 204.002 ms 204.519 ms
xe-0-4-3-1.a04.lsanca07.us.ce.gin.ntt.net (129.250.207.194) 204.389 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 66.42.108.247.vultrusercontent.com (66.42.108.247) 215.921 ms !X 203.630 ms !X 206.723 ms !X