Reducing your carbon emissions thread

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I'm not worried about climate change. But don't interpret that to think I am a climate change denier.

Everyone looks at climate change from the perspective of the human race but I don't. I fully expect there to a cataclysmic collapse of human society due to our mistreatment of the planet. Our species may not survive. But it doesn't matter. The world will heal itself and will carry on without us.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moved house to be closer to the golf course so we no longer have coal fires and a draughty old farmhouse. New house is too hot so have to have the windows open all year round. We have solar panels, an induction hob and don't use a dishwasher.

One thing I won't give up is my V8, 5 litre toy!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nothing of note, (I put a log burner in last year 😁)we recycle but apart from glass I’m sceptical of the efficiency of recycling. All those shameful stories of selling our recycling to 3rd world countries rather put me off.

I’m getting a leased hybrid X-Trail next week but only because it was the same price as the petrol only version. (Leasing is terrible for your carbon footprint anyway)

I’ve put LEDs in but there really is no choice nowadays.

Heat pumps like EVs are not yet a viable replacement for what I have.

Only eat red meat about once a week but that’s more to do with my digestion than the environment.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Great idea, certainly one to consider

Is affordable to run the house ATM £3 a day due to my set up so does make it hard to part with the cash for a new one lol especially when saving for a new car for when the lease ends
Giving up on acquiring a new car every 3 years would do more to lower your carbon footprint than everything else you do put together.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Giving up on acquiring a new car every 3 years would do more to lower your carbon footprint than everything else you do put together.

Thing is clive that's the plan. I'm saving to buy a new car when the lease is up. The lease was a successful test of ev to see if the tech suited me before committing to purchasing one

Have driven it for 2.5 years so far (25k miles) and love EV but hate the car itself as it's too small

Saving for a slightly bigger one to fit the family and the plan is to keep it for a lot longer

D

Deleted member 15344

We recycle but other than that nothing

Any actions at our level are just token prob to maybe try and ease conscious or point fingers at others

Every item that is supposed to save the planet doesn’t just appear from nowhere - it’s manufactured creating just as many issue

Whatever action someone does to help there will be some counter action later that day

It’s a small planet with lots of people on it - maybe too many which is prob a bigger issue

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I recycle old golf clubs rather than see them go to landfill.

My main carbon emission is farting at which I'm world class.
If it were an Olympic event I'd be more famous than Steven Redgrave and I would be on the podium next year for sure.

Mrs V has just fallen off the sofa again.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I walk or cycle everywhere now.
I only use the car to get to the golf club.

One thing I did notice is my gas/ electric bills have gone down 60% this last year because my daughter left home.
Thats some saving even with the price rises.

So it’s Kids that are the problem. :oops:

Well I dunno because your kids are now using that energy somewhere else , it's just a carbon ofset lol

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once they've left home and now have to pay their own energy bills, they will probably change their ways for the better.
I followed her around turning lights off and closing doors for 25 yrs.

She had the cheek to ask me to turn the light off behind me in her new house the other day.
How things change when they are paying the bill.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
We recycle but other than that nothing

Any actions at our level are just token prob to maybe try and ease conscious or point fingers at others

Every item that is supposed to save the planet doesn’t just appear from nowhere - it’s manufactured creating just as many issue

Whatever action someone does to help there will be some counter action later that day

It’s a small planet with lots of people on it - maybe too many which is prob a bigger issue

Yes, just too many people now. Even if you go from 1990 the global population has increased by 50%. As a species we are too clever, technology and medicine combining to ruin the planet.

D-S

Visit site
Yes, just too many people now. Even if you go from 1990 the global population has increased by 50%. As a species we are too clever, technology and medicine combining to ruin the planet.
Sadly a net global population increase every year of 80 million new mouths to feed is patently unsustainable. The consumption of goods and energy needed by the swiftly increasing number of people is one of the biggest challenges that for many good reasons isn’t being and/or can’t be addressed.

Jason.H

Visit site
I sometimes consider trading in my VW Transporter for a ev suv. But don’t really want to take on finance on a new vehicle for it to depreciate over 3 years.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I purposely do nothing to curb my emissions. I’m on my second electric car purely because it’s cheap to run.

I live in an area that would be unaffected by a rise in sea levels, I have no children, nor want them, I’ll be dead before there’s meaningful climate change if any.

Small modular reactors on the way, electric car use rising, electric plane engines in development.

technology will sort tomorrows problems.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I do stuff but not typically with emission reduction as the primary goal

i.e
I walk to/from the golf course about half the time (but it’s for fitness and so I can have drinks, but as a statement it sounds good for doing my bit for reducing emissions)
I drive a hybrid car (because that’s what the guy I rent off gave me, but as a statement it sounds good for doing my bit for reducing emissions)
I use zero electricity for heating (because I live in a hot country, but as a statement it sounds good for doing my bit for reducing emissions)
I recycle lots of plastic water bottles to drop off points (because it saves much needed space in the house bins, but as a statement it sounds good for doing my bit for reducing emissions)
etc
etc

You get the picture

I’d guess I’m not alone, we do what suits us to do

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See I will change my plans slightly to suit when low carbon electric is available

Today is my prime example

Mrs needed a second wash done so I said get it on to finish at 6 so we don't pay for it let the battery cover it as it's gonna be sunny today

Then because it's so sunny today I've managed to run the clean cycle on the dishwasher, washing machine and descaled the kettle

All whilst still having a full battery and exporting to the grid (5kw thus far, only taken 11.5 from grid all day)

All this kind of stuff I save for when I'm home and the sun is out rather than using the grid to do it .. yes saves me cash but also it's green

Before when I have no jobs to do I'll plug the car in via the 3 pin socket and let the excess solar fill it up for free