Reducing your carbon emissions thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So following on from the other threads which led to some interesting discussions on emissions and how to reduce them what do you guys do?

We have cut down our meat a bit, not entirely but for example my lunch is Cajun pasta which rather than chicken with it is just veg

We have solar panels and battery storage (I've bored people enough of them so does what it says)

And in the winter we use the air con in heat pump mode to reduce our gas usage where possible

We have cut down the use of the diesel car dramatically and use the EV where possible. Now the girls are older we can get all 3 in the car but not both us so if it's just me and them I'll take the small car (like when I pick them up from my mum's later after work), 12,000 miles per year in the ev and under 2000 in the diesel now.

Going Brighton at the weekend with the wife going via EV

We recycle where possible, give old clothes away to charity to reuse rather than bin

Washing and dishwasher we moved to smol which reduces plastic use and emissions https://smolproducts.com/

Interested to hear what others do, see if there is any I could add easy to my list

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have swapped to shampoo bars from places like Gruum and KinKind to save some plastic use. We also use water bottles and re-usable cups rather than single use plastic bottles.
We tried to get solar panels but our roof isn't suitable. We have also cut down our meat consumption - which was a lot easier than I thought it would be

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have swapped to shampoo bars from places like Gruum and KinKind to save some plastic use. We also use water bottles and re-usable cups rather than single use plastic bottles.
We tried to get solar panels but our roof isn't suitable. We have also cut down our meat consumption - which was a lot easier than I thought it would be

The meat one surprised me aswell as a big fan of meat

Another one I did was changed to bamboo tees for golf and bamboo boxer shorts which are more sustainable (and more comfortable)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I won't do the obvious joke... :whistle:
father-ted-mrs-doyle.gif

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
In our house, I'm particular about recycling, so labels, medicine leaflets, etc. all go in the recycling.

I have a smart meter. I turn off all unnecessary lights and put lids on the saucepans when cooking. Surprised how much gas is saved; e.g. gas mark 8 with no lid, gas mark 2 with.

I don't have an EV and won't for a while. I like my 4.0L V8 twin turbo too much!

I know there is much more I could do, but I'm happy with what I am doing currently.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not quite at your levels, but I do what I can.
All lights are low emission LEDs, timers are set so they only come on where necessary, we have a heat pump tumble dryer so it uses less energy, my car is a plug-in hybrid, I recycle everything as much as I can, I am on upcycle websites so stuff I don't need gets passed on to others who do.
I know that I seem to get more guilty the more stuff I put into our general waste bin, so I try to keep that to a minimum.
I'd love to get the solar panels or heat pumps but that's a big investment with a long payback, and I can't guarantee we will be in the house long enough to get that back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite at your levels, but I do what I can.
All lights are low emission LEDs, timers are set so they only come on where necessary, we have a heat pump tumble dryer so it uses less energy, my car is a plug-in hybrid, I recycle everything as much as I can, I am on upcycle websites so stuff I don't need gets passed on to others who do.
I know that I seem to get more guilty the more stuff I put into our general waste bin, so I try to keep that to a minimum.
I'd love to get the solar panels or heat pumps but that's a big investment with a long payback, and I can't guarantee we will be in the house long enough to get that back.

As long as everyone did a little bit of what they can it makes a huge diff

We have the led lights and heat pump Tumble

Cook with air fryer all time has saved a lot

We only got all the stuff because we know we staying here forever (hopefully)

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I probably don't fit in with the in crowd but i do nothing that i don't have too.

I recycle rubbish at home as it's the only way to get the council to take it away. I drive a Hybrid car for Tax purposes but never charge it.

In my view and I know it doesn't suit the narrative, however whatever we do in this country is a drop in the ocean while the likes China and India don't sign up to these pledges I doubt what any individual does makes a difference.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I probably don't fit in with the in crowd but i do nothing that i don't have too.

I recycle rubbish at home as it's the only way to get the council to take it away. I drive a Hybrid car for Tax purposes but never charge it.

In my view and I know it doesn't suit the narrative, however whatever we do in this country is a drop in the ocean while the likes China and India don't sign up to these pledges I doubt what any individual does makes a difference.
Ironically China is one of the few countries that's on course to meet their emission targets but they have set a more realistic target to lower rather than what the rest set

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt say we "do" anything to help with this, but we are well below the average use on electricity. We work out at 4 kwh per day.

That is impressive, our house does 9kw just doing nothing but the fridge freezer could use replacing as it's the majority

However I don't like replacing something that's working as it's landfill

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is impressive, our house does 9kw just doing nothing but the fridge freezer could use replacing as it's the majority

However I don't like replacing something that's working as it's landfill
Can you not donate that to a "seconds" shop that helps low-income families. We did that with the old washing machine and fridge freezer. They take them off your hands and re-furb them and then they allocate them to families on their waiting lists.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you not donate that to a "seconds" shop that helps low-income families. We did that with the old washing machine and fridge freezer. They take them off your hands and re-furb them and then they allocate them to families on their waiting lists.

Great idea, certainly one to consider

Is affordable to run the house ATM £3 a day due to my set up so does make it hard to part with the cash for a new one lol especially when saving for a new car for when the lease ends

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

In that case your forum name is woefully inaccurate. :LOL:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do what I have always done. Recycle what you can, and use as little as I can.
Once big businesses and Governments stop leaving their lights on all night I might actively try and do more.