Favourite walk?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Inspired by a comment in another thread, what’s your favourite walk?
A couple of mine are…

Birnam Hill at Dunkeld, has special memories for me and is a really pleasing walk with great views when you get to the top.
Ben Lawers not a million miles away, stunning scenery, not too taxing and again some great memories.

I could go on ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A simple one, walk along the front at Whitley Bay, dip down the backstreets and loop back round.

A more adventurous but still flat one is a walk from just outside Brompton on Swale, along the river, through fields, woods, past nice houses and into Richmond, N.Yorks. That's probably the nicest, cake upon arrival in Richmond obviously to give energy for the return journey.

No hills, I don't do hills ?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a couple.

Love the walk from Burnsall to either Grassington or Linton and back. I also love the Howarth Top Withens walk.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our favourite regular walk is from our home, to follow the River Wey to Waverley Abbey and back.

As my mum is from Dunkeld I am with OP on walks near or around the town, an area full of very strong family memories. Though the family walk we did as children up Craig-y-barns is rather difficult and different these days only last year we did a lovely round walk from the town to the The Loch of the Lowes.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many of our favourite local walks have been tainted by the memory of lockdown but I do think we are very lucky that within an hour in any direction we have everything ranging from the Cairngorms, it’s forests, glens, rivers, lochs and wildlife through to the coast and huge sandy beaches of east Fife.

Our local hill, Norman’s Law, overlooks the Tay firth and provides views of Fife, Perth and Angus. On fine days we see the snow capped Cairngorm plateau to the north, Carnoustie & St Andrews east, and west to Ben Lomond and Schiehallion. It is only 280m high but is our most frequented destination, is the place of many walks and has become our traditional New Year’s Day walk and such like. A lovely wee hill.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Newlands Round.

Used to have a couple of walking weekends in Lakes every year with mates, Keswick was our favourite place to stay and this was my favourite walk. It's about 10 miles but the climbs are not that strenuous - not compared to slogging up Skiddaw, and if you get a clear day, the views are stunning.

This has got me thinking about a couple of days walking before the weather turns!

https://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes10.htm

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, along the river from Burnsall to Linton Falls and then a short walk up to Grassington through the car park. It's up from the river but not a massive hill.
Thanks. We are hopefully going for a weekend to Richmond in a few month and, assuming the weather is okay, will look to do that. Last time we went to Grassington it was throwing it down and so the visit was cut short. I know you can walk in the rain but it takes a lot of the pleasure out of it.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks. We are hopefully going for a weekend to Richmond in a few month and, assuming the weather is okay, will look to do that. Last time we went to Grassington it was throwing it down and so the visit was cut short. I know you can walk in the rain but it takes a lot of the pleasure out of it.

Unfortunately there's a lovely pub at the start of the walk in Burnsall, if you decide to walk up to Linton there's a very nice pub called Fountaine Inn beside a little stream and then everything in Grassington. Fantastic ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Symonds Yat in the Wye Valley... park by the Saracens Head Pub... walk down stream as far as Biblins Bridge... great tea room on that side near the bridge.... cross over and continue to Monmouth or turn round and walk back upstream on other bank as far as the rope ferry. Cross back over an have lunch in the Saracens Head. Marvellous in Winter or Summer.

Pewley Down to Newlands Corner and back.... just outside Guildford. Takes me back to the walks with my grandad and then with Scouts. Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem about it. Had to memorise it at school, in the first form. .... I can still do most of it, over 40 years later. :eek:

There runs a road by Merrow Down -
A grassy track today it is -
An hour out of Guildford Town,
Above the river Wey it is.

I won't bother you with the rest :)

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
One North and one South…..

Dodd wood summit just outside Keswick is one of our favourites, some sections make your puff but it’s not too long and when you get to the top the view is excellent. Also you can descend another route so it’s enjoyable both ways.

Down south, Sea Town to Golden Cap in Dorset, again not too long and fantastic views from the top. Back down and Fish and Chips in the Anchor Inn and a pint of Otter is a perfect day.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One North and one South…..

Dodd wood summit just outside Keswick is one of our favourites, some sections make your puff but it’s not too long and when you get to the top the view is excellent. Also you can descend another route so it’s enjoyable both ways.

Down south, Sea Town to Golden Cap in Dorset, again not too long and fantastic views from the top. Back down and Fish and Chips in the Anchor Inn and a pint of Otter is a perfect day.
Me 'n 'er will be doing just that in a few week's time.