Favourite walk?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently favourite is across to Pegsdon Hills, up and round over to Knocking Hoe and then back home via the View for a swift pint :)

Do miss some of the walks we used to do both at Mudeford sea front and also in the New Forest

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My favourite walk has to be the two-mile uphill walk from my back gate to the top of a hill from where I can see about 20% of Scotland.
For an easy one with my wife, it's from Maidens harbour to Culzean castle

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Symonds Yat in the Wye Valley... park by the Saracens Head Pub... walk down stream as far as Biblins Bridge... great tea room on that side near the bridge.... cross over and continue to Monmouth or turn round and walk back upstream on other bank as far as the rope ferry. Cross back over an have lunch in the Saracens Head. Marvellous in Winter or Summer.

Pewley Down to Newlands Corner and back.... just outside Guildford. Takes me back to the walks with my grandad and then with Scouts. Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem about it. Had to memorise it at school, in the first form. .... I can still do most of it, over 40 years later. :eek:

There runs a road by Merrow Down -
A grassy track today it is -
An hour out of Guildford Town,
Above the river Wey it is.

I won't bother you with the rest :)

That brought back a few grand days, done that Symonds Yat walk a fair bit when my kids were young.
Lasting memories of my young Labrador crossing the suspension bridge like a very tentative tightrope walker
Was that the tearoom that served dinner plate sized toasted buns dripping in butter.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having grown up on it quite literally, anywhere on the Ridgeway. So much so, i have entered a 100km ultra marathon on it next year.

Now close to our current house i have the wayfarers walk, only done the local bits to me, but its got some cracking views!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A walk from Arnside pier up to The Knott via High Knott Road, stand and look at the view over to the Lake District peaks, then back down, around the estuary and finish up for a drink at The Albion.
Bittersweet, as it's one I will never again be able to do with my Dad, but at least I have the memories.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Went to Havering country park today, never been before even though its only 4 miles away, but read it was one of only two places in the U.K. with Giant Redwoods!
it didn’t disappoint, they are magnificent!
5EC687F6-0784-4760-B3DA-0B544575DB00.jpegE10FAD57-D814-45DD-923C-B4B21322E403.jpeg

And a cracking view of one of the greatest city’s in the world was a bonus…

ED40A5BE-D179-4E2D-8301-D64F86D148AB.jpeg

sunshine

Visit site
2 pretty girls, one blonde and one brunette. They are having fun and invite me to join them.

Oh sorry. Just read the thread title again and realised it said walk.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Havering country park today, never been before even though its only 4 miles away, but read it was one of only two places in the U.K. with Giant Redwoods!
it didn’t disappoint, they are magnificent!

And a cracking view of one of the greatest city’s in the world was a bonus…
We get a similar view every time we play golf at the club :):)

Intrigued by the (context of) info that the Giant Redwoods are supposedly only found in 2 places in UK. Whoever wrote that hadn't been looking very hard.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We get a similar view every time we play golf at the club :):)

Intrigued by the (context of) info that the Giant Redwoods are supposedly only found in 2 places in UK. Whoever wrote that hadn't been looking very hard.
I've worked it out. The 2 places in the UK are the British Mainland and Northern Ireland.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does sound unlikely tbh but It's just what we found on the website....

Havering Country Park - Thames Chase Community Forest

edit; it does say "plantation" so maybe that's the context?
Ah. I think you're correct about 'plantation' being the context - as they've not been used as plantation trees (ie commercial plantings) on any significant scale - but as individual tree, or as small groups, they are two a penny in grounds of any big estate. Must go for a look sometime.

RichA

Visit site
Ah. I think you're correct about 'plantation' being the context - as they've not been used as plantation trees (ie commercial plantings) on any significant scale - but as individual tree, or as small groups, they are two a penny in grounds of any big estate. Must go for a look sometime.
Yep. They are definitely found in a few locations around Notts.