Do we have any roofers/ knowledgeable people on chimney issues?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Evening all

I know the proper route is to ask a trades person for a quote.... But thought I'd try you lovely lot first.

I'm in the process of buying a house. Our Rics level 2 came back today and the only real thing of concern to me is a slight chimney lean that they've spotted, along with a bit of poor pointing.

Anyone have experience that I could share the photos with?

Cheers

Adam

CountLippe

Visit site
Evening all

I know the proper route is to ask a trades person for a quote.... But thought I'd try you lovely lot first.

I'm in the process of buying a house. Our Rics level 2 came back today and the only real thing of concern to me is a slight chimney lean that they've spotted, along with a bit of poor pointing.

Anyone have experience that I could share the photos with?

Cheers

Adam
What did it say, sulphate attack? or too high for its width?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion that would need taken down and rebuilt.
It doesn’t look to clever going by the photo and could do a fair bit of damage if it came down.
It will only get worse so definitely needs sorted.

Reactions: Doh

CountLippe

Visit site
In my opinion that would need taken down and rebuilt.
It doesn’t look to clever going by the photo and could do a fair bit of damage if it came down.
It will only get worse so definitely needs sorted.
Yeah, any lean over 35mm (1/3 the width) needs attention. Looks a relatively new chimney too.

D

Deleted member 18121

To be honest, I'm thinking just take it down.... There are no chimney breasts indoors so no need for the stack. Maybe this is why it's leaning.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, I'm thinking just take it down.... There are no chimney breasts indoors so no need for the stack. Maybe this is why it's leaning.
You always take a chimney down from the top down. If the chimney breats have been removed, then the chimney wont have the structural support it needs.

D

Deleted member 18121

You always take a chimney down from the top down. If the chimney breats have been removed, then the chimney wont have the structural support it needs.

That's exactly my assumption. I'm assuming previous owners had the breasts taken out (I don't remember seeing any when viewing) and didn't pay the extra for the stack to be removed.

D

Deleted member 18121

If you take the chimney down where are you going to put the aerial?

Side of the house?

Hopefully they fitted gallows brackets in the loft?

Straight forward job to take it down to nearly roof level and cap it off with a coping stone.

No idea, only found out the issue on Thursday night. Am going to phone the estate agent on Monday to tell them of the issue.

In the mean time I've done one of those quote things for local traders to see what the cost might be.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Side of the house?

No idea, only found out the issue on Thursday night. Am going to phone the estate agent on Monday to tell them of the issue.

In the mean time I've done one of those quote things for local traders to see what the cost might be.

Be interesting to see how much they quote, it’s only a days work for a bricklayer but they will need to put up a scaffold… I’m reckoning about £1600 but it depends where you live.