Favourite curry

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Abergavenny Food Festival and saw a demonstration by Cyrus Todiwalla. He had a good rant about people always saying they are going for a curry when they are going for an Indian. He, quite rightly, said that there is not a dish called curry on an Indian menu. When people go for a Thai, when there is red and green curry on the menu they never say they are having a curry, they say Thai.
Just sounds like pedantry to me.

curry1
/ˈkʌri/
noun
a dish of meat, vegetables, etc., cooked in an Indian-style sauce of hot-tasting spices and typically served with rice.
"we went out for a curry"

It's a pretty broad definition which includes all of the above I'd say. It may not be what a 'curry' was originally, but this is how it's understood by most people I think.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Place near me does a chef’s special called a chingri jool - king prawn based and absolutely fabulous.

I tend to go for the specials but, if it’s something off the main menu, I’ll probably have a pathia, with a vegetable rice and garlic naan.

I spent many years living in Leicester so was rather spoiled for choice in my youth and early 20’s.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to love a Madras or Patia, Keema naan, saqg bharji and crispy fired okra.

Haven't risked one since the surgery suspect I'll be going milder maybe a dupiaza or biryani.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will eat pretty much anything on the menu (apart from the creamy ones), last night had a prawn puree, mixed grill, onion bhajis and some tarka dhal

We have a very good "indian tapas" nearish by now and some of the plates there are very different, very very good; chilli lamb, chicken mongolian, veg manchurian etc. Even better the local pub is owned by the same people now so a couple of their dishes have made it onto the menu :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Must be a northern thing.... there's a Yorkie in our group who, if you order anything less spicy than his, repeats your order in a very high pitched quizzical voice! K-O-R-M-A ???????????????????

Anyone staying and playing at St Pierre, our "local" curry house (Indian Empire) is turn left out of the hotel grounds and up the hill. Very good indeed... even walkable if you want to save on taxis.

Chicken Jalfrezi from there is v good, as is the Tikka Bhuna Special... My wife always has the Chicken Passanda, which is spot on!! (see, golf and curry references!)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Must be a northern thing.... there's a Yorkie in our group who, if you order anything less spicy than his, repeats your order in a very high pitched quizzical voice! K-O-R-M-A ???????????????????

Anyone staying and playing at St Pierre, our "local" curry house (Indian Empire) is turn left out of the hotel grounds and up the hill. Very good indeed... even walkable if you want to save on taxis.

Chicken Jalfrezi from there is v good, as is the Tikka Bhuna Special... My wife always has the Chicken Passanda, which is spot on!! (see, golf and curry references!)

Korma and Pasanda are a dessert with chicken in them ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Poppadoms, then sheesh kebab starters. Chicken or lamb karahai or Jalfrezi with pilau rice and aloo gobi. plain naan. Mustn’t forget Couple of Cobra beers.

Fallback choice, chicken murgh.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just sounds like pedantry to me.

curry1
/ˈkʌri/
noun
a dish of meat, vegetables, etc., cooked in an Indian-style sauce of hot-tasting spices and typically served with rice.
"we went out for a curry"

It's a pretty broad definition which includes all of the above I'd say. It may not be what a 'curry' was originally, but this is how it's understood by most people I think.
Might sound like pedantry to you but to an Indian who feels that people are being lazy and 'disrespecting' their culture/language it can mean a great deal.

PS - I am not of Indian heritage, just relaying what was stated by a very highly respected chef

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might sound like pedantry to you but to an Indian who feels that people are being lazy and 'disrespecting' their culture/language it can mean a great deal.

PS - I am not of Indian heritage, just relaying what was stated by a very highly respected chef
I get it, but language evolves over time. It's like when my grandad used to complain about how 'gay' didn't mean 'happy' anymore. ? Ok it's not exactly like that, but joking aside, once something enters the common vernacular there isn't much you can do.

Korma and Pasanda are a dessert with chicken in them ?
That explains why I love them so much!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The guy can stay on his high horse or he can shrug his shoulders, accept the term has become used universally and continue to take the money that piles into his restaurant. When Rick Stein did his tour across India he repeatedly had this discussion. The Indians call the sauce gravy, curry was not a term they used but they understood why others did and it did not bother them one bit. Being grumpy about it is like an Italian complaining about the food served up in pizza houses, Chinese people not recognising what is served in take aways and restaurants. It is what happens with food when it moves around the world.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my local does a great rendang but i am rather partial to an Acarhi chicken.

if am feeling boring then it will be either lamb or chicken tikka

RichA

Visit site
Indian food is practically revered in the UK. I don't see how referring to it as curry is disrespectful.
It's not something that's ever come up in years of frank conversations on race and culture with Indian friends I played cricket with - one of whom is a chef.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thai for me!
I make my own - though buy paste and coconut milk.
And grow my own Coriander, Lime Leaves and (Thai) Basil (great to have inside just for the perfume!).

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
On the Thai front, my favourite is either a pork Panang or a Massaman.

For an Indian, our local does a couple of good specials with a bit of a kick to them which I swap between. Garlic Chilli Chicken top of the list though.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not had a good restaurant curry for years as locally we just get variations on red, brown and yellow with barely any flavour.

So I make my own with recipes from Madhur Jaffri's Ultimate Curry and Pat Chapman's New Curry Bible. More often the former as they're generally quicker dishes rather than the restaurant processes involved in the latter.

Difficult to choose favourites but I like a Chicken Jalfrezi, anything Lamb and Spinach, Bunny Chow, Goan Fish, Nepalese (Gurka) and Goat Curries if I can get them.

If I had to choose a lifetime favourite. There was one place in Wolverhampton I used to go to a lot in the 90's. Pretty plain looking Balti house that didn't offer many dishes, they just served a few regular dishes well, and their simply named Chicken Tikka Balti was mind blowing. I've seen similarly named things since but they are totally unlike what they made there and I've never been able to replicate it. Wish I'd got to know them better and nick the recipe. :D

D

Deleted member 1147

Dupiaza, Jalferzi, Khorai, Rogan Josh, Hyderabadi - amongst my favourites
With Bombay Aloo, Tarka dhall, Keema naan and/or veg bhaji