What’s your favourite course to play on

Favourite Course to play on

• Total voters

Springveldt

Visit site
Hate links.
Since I took the game up again in 2016 my club was a parkland one and I had only played links golf a few times and didn't really enjoy it until I joined my current club last year. I hated playing in the wind, I hated the dodgy bounces and I hated the tight, bare lies around the greens. Now, after a year and probably around 50 rounds or so I absolutely love it and it seems to suit my game much better than parkland. I'm also a much better player in the wind and don't even consider it to be blowing unless it's 25mph+.

With the added bonus of good drainage and full greens through the winter, links gets my vote.

RichA

Visit site
Out of interest, how would anyone who knows it classify Bull Bay?
It's almost a links, some of the holes are quite parkland, the top bits feel like a moor, there's lots of heather and at times you feel like you're playing golf on a mountain.
I loved and hated it in equal measures. From memory, every hole was either a gross par or a 10 and I lost about 10 balls.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, how would anyone who knows it classify Bull Bay?
It's almost a links, some of the holes are quite parkland, the top bits feel like a moor, there's lots of heather and at times you feel like you're playing golf on a mountain.
I loved and hated it in equal measures. From memory, every hole was either a gross par or a 10 and I lost about 10 balls.
I would say it’s not a links it’s more on top of a cliff course.
It’s got a bit of everything so a hybrid course.
You need a few rounds to plan your way around.
It’s a great place to play and on a nice day very nice place to be.

RichA

Visit site
I would say it’s not a links it’s more on top of a cliff course.
It’s got a bit of everything so a hybrid course.
You need a few rounds to plan your way around.
It’s a great place to play and on a nice day very nice place to be.
I loved the place. Very beautiful and as friendly a club as I've visited.
So many blind tee shots and significant elevation changes though that enjoyment was a challenge in the north wind.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hang on a minute. There is a lot of rough on links courses. Plus, on my course at least, the North Sea comes into play on 6 holes. Then there is an oob wall that can come into it on 5 holes. 😂
Never suggested that links courses were easy.
They're quite hard.

My point about the absence of trees is that you can curve your ball over dunes of gorse,
but you can't curve your ball through trees.

However, the links courses have severe wind,
pot bunkers in the middle of center landing areas,
oddly contoured fairways with few flat lies,
and far more blind shots.

I said that they'd be fun to play, not easy.