What’s your favourite course to play on

Favourite Course to play on

• Total voters

RichA

Visit site
Thought I'd love links (people refer to my course of the last 4 years as playing like a links in the Summer).
I played 2 links courses in north Wales in April. It turns out I don't like links after all.
I really, really enjoyed Teignmouth last year, which I guess is moorland, but I'm probably most at home on slightly rough and ready parkland - not too landscaped, the sort where a golf course has just been dropped into it rather than being over designed.

[Edited a couple of words to make sense]

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where's the inland links option? :whistle:
Yeah, I'd put Selby in that...... or mixed eg Hesketh's links & parkland style.
Love links but couldn't have it as my main Club as all too often wind makes them unplayable & not enjoyable. Heathland, such as Moortown, would do me just fine, as a course, maybe not as a Club.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’d had very little experience of links courses until the last three or four years but, having played several now, I have to say I’m surprised at just how much I enjoy them.

I’ve always enjoyed heathland courses, so it was a close call, but having had fabulous days at Royal St David’s in recent times that just swung it for me in favour of links golf, which is a true challenge.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to be honest, apart from links, I still don't understand the difference between any of the others.
Very much as it says
A moorland course is on the moors, Yelverton in Devon comes to mind generally much more gorse on the courses I have played
A Heathland course is on a Heath, Camberley, Sunningdale (lots of others in the Surrey, Berkshire area) pines, silver birch and heather features a lot where I have played
As you say not a lot of difference between the two but most noticeable is the type of grass and what is under it, the types of lie you might find yourself in tend to very different to a Parkland course.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Torn between moorland and heathland (as I don't really know the difference) but basically whatever Beau Desert classes itself as!

I love a links course but the kind where you're winding through big dunes (I'm thinking the front 9 of Silloth), not the flat ones without many natural features.

The more I've played the more I've realised I love courses that make you think, playing to certain spots, weaving through the woods, elevated tees/greens etc.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's good and bad versions of most types, but bad parkland courses are probably the least fun.

Poor drainage and heavy soils can make them pretty unpleasant places to play in even mildly adverse weather.

I went links but very happy with heathland and moorland.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very much as it says
A moorland course is on the moors, Yelverton in Devon comes to mind generally much more gorse on the courses I have played
A Heathland course is on a Heath, Camberley, Sunningdale (lots of others in the Surrey, Berkshire area) pines, silver birch and heather features a lot where I have played
As you say not a lot of difference between the two but most noticeable is the type of grass and what is under it, the types of lie you might find yourself in tend to very different to a Parkland course.
I'm not really a nature person, so telling me heathland is on heath and moorland is on moors hasn't really helped. 😄 I guess the only way I can think of it is that heathland courses have gorse bushes and heather and parkland courses don't??

Anyway, I'll echo what some others have said in that I don't normally do well on links so they're probably my least favourite - always windy and the wind kills me off the tee. Trying to judge the roll out and running through the back of greens repeatedly can get annoying also. I think I'm happy either way with a nice heathland or parkland course as my favourites.