What’s your favourite course to play on

Favourite Course to play on

• Total voters

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Heathland- because Hankley Common......

Man that place just stays in my brain, was just perfection.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brutal the only word I can use. Found it very hard
I loved it as well, and maybe I was swinging well on the day but I didn't find it the hardest course I've ever played. You had to be on the fairways for sure, and the par 3s were tricky, but there was room on a lot of holes and you didn't need to be hitting driver everywhere I don't think. I found it pretty fair, and quite a few on the H4H day scored fairly well as I recall. Probably wasn't windy that day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I loved it as well, and maybe I was swinging well on the day but I didn't find it the hardest course I've ever played. You had to be on the fairways for sure, and the par 3s were tricky, but there was room on a lot of holes and you didn't need to be hitting driver everywhere I don't think. I found it pretty fair, and quite a few on the H4H day scored fairly well as I recall. Probably wasn't windy that day.
That would be it then. Not sure I found a fairway and even then didn't know what to do if I wasn't playing from heather each time

evemccc

Visit site
I'm not really a nature person, so telling me heathland is on heath and moorland is on moors hasn't really helped. 😄 I guess the only way I can think of it is that heathland courses have gorse bushes and heather and parkland courses don't??

Anyway, I'll echo what some others have said in that I don't normally do well on links so they're probably my least favourite - always windy and the wind kills me off the tee. Trying to judge the roll out and running through the back of greens repeatedly can get annoying also. I think I'm happy either way with a nice heathland or parkland course as my favourites.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison etc. but I love links precisely because the wind, and humps & bumps, and natural contours / being exposed more to the elements, creates more variables and more to judge, and so is more interesting for the golfer

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Royal County Down which is currently hosting the Irish Open is stunning

Best course I have played - but such a brute of a course when the wind gets up

But it’s visually amazing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One man’s meat is another man’s poison etc. but I love links precisely because the wind, and humps & bumps, and natural contours / being exposed more to the elements, creates more variables and more to judge, and so is more interesting for the golfer
I think my golf game has enough variables on its own. :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Beat my 25-26 then. I just struggled and found when I was offline I was punished. Definitely one to find the short grass on

I was offline quite a bit but seemed to play okay from the heather, no idea why or how though :ROFLMAO: I started on the hardest par 3 too, did not score on that hole :ROFLMAO:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Links golf in the UK and Ireland looks so awesome on television.

On the one hand, there are no trees so while the ground is scary, the air is wide open to curving shots.
But then comes the wind and you need to play low.
Really interesting.
Hang on a minute. There is a lot of rough on links courses. Plus, on my course at least, the North Sea comes into play on 6 holes. Then there is an oob wall that can come into it on 5 holes. 😂

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why shouldn't it? We're supposed to get extra shots on our playing handicap to compensate for the course being tougher, do we not?
But, they can also go down quite a bit. I’ve had a couple of opens this year where my handicap has been chopped. Virtually no chance if you don’t know the course.

Some ratings are way off too.
Eyemouth, for example, is way more difficult than the rating suggests.

RichA

Visit site
Why shouldn't it? We're supposed to get extra shots on our playing handicap to compensate for the course being tougher, do we not?
Because playing to your course handicap and getting 36 points on any course is equalling the average SD of the best 40% of your last 20 rounds.
If playing to your course handicap was the norm, then your handicap would have to be the average of 100% off your last 20 rounds.