Embarrased to be out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went through a very similar patch after the pro changed ONE thing in my swing. I spent the time on the range to get it grooved in and all was going well.
Then I had a board comp come up and I may as well have spent the time and money on the range it was that bad, on top of which, my playing partner wouldn't shut up until I started my backswing even after several glares from me.
I spent more time on the range and the changes finally started to click. Now I have a far straighter ball flight with better penetration even though it is still pretty high.
Went out and had nine holes with the pro, just for fun not a lesson, and we now hit the ball almost identical distances with all club, except wedges, which I am slightly longer as I have my hands further forward.
Now to get my consistency better.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Paul WARING ENG 73 RT
Darren FICHARDT RSA 72 RT
Alexandre KALEKA FRA 71 RT
Emiliano GRILLO ARG 76 RT
Shane LOWRY IRL 75 RT
Scott JAMIESON SCO 78 RT
Dawie VAN DER WALT RSA 79 RT
Oscar FLOREN SWE 78 RT
Jeev Milkha SINGH IND 75 RT
Fredrik ANDERSSON HED SWE 73 RT
Victor DUBUISSON FRA 69 RT
Mark TULLO CHI 79 RT
Garth MULROY RSA 76 RT
Ricardo SANTOS POR 76 RT
Eduardo DE LA RIVA ESP 76 RT
Lorenzo GAGLI ITA 77 RT
Johan EDFORS SWE 77 RT
Terry PILKADARIS AUS 77 RT
Tommy FLEETWOOD ENG 75 RT
Felipe AGUILAR CHI 72 RT
Oliver FISHER ENG 73 RT
Alvaro QUIROS ESP 79 RT
Fabrizio ZANOTTI PAR 77 RT
Shiv KAPUR IND 74 RT
Kristoffer BROBERG SWE 75 RT
Julien QUESNE FRA 77 RT
Wen-chong LIANG CHN 79 RT
Pablo MARTIN BENAVIDES ESP RT
Ross McGOWAN ENG RT
Richie RAMSAY SCO RT

This is the list of the people who retired from the US qualifying at Walton Heath today, either because their 1st round score was rubbish or because they totally melted during some stage of their 2nd round. A couple literally walked off the course leaving their playing partner stranded, some didn't even tee it up for the 2nd round.

EVERYONE has bad days Homey..... tomorrow might not be one of 'em :thup:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've had a few bad days on the course recently. And what helped me was coming to the conclusion that I am actually crap at golf.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Homer...stop mucking about with pros and swings. Go out a belt the ball. Right grip, right stance, right line up of the shot and bang. Dont spend time over anything, just hit it. Dont think of anythng when over the ball, just look at the back of it then smack it.

V

vkurup

I had a great day on Sat.. Shot a 92 (Out 49, In 43). This is probably the best I can do.

So on Sunday, I was really thrilled when I shot a 47 going out. All I need was to repeat the back 9 performance. All the stars were aligned, when I opened with a Par on the 10th. Now was starting to get cocky. So promptly dispatched the 11th drive into the long grass. Managed to find it, then took the brave/stupid decision to hit it out rather than drop it. Lost the ball, dropped another one etc etc etc.. Carded a 10 on that hole!! Similarly carded a 8 on the 17th. Finished the miserable round on 97. Spent the day sulking. But now cant wait to get out there and hack.

Keep your chin up..

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do believe I could have written your post word for word, also in a bad golfing place right now, 29 points on sunday too. Post lesson slump seems to take forever to get thro, not looking forward to this weeks medal.

I feel your pain :(

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
this is pretty much where i was 2 weeks ago, humiliated by 19,21,22 handicappers and i have grand delusions of making single figures but a week of and i was raring to go on sunday , but went with the attitude just enjoy it , played pretty well not exceptional ,amazingly my short game and putting have been on fire, maybe you need a break (runs for cover)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Homer..
Ever since I've known you, with a couple of short breaks, you've been having lessons, tinkering with the swing, changing this and that.
The handicap has come down, but not by any great margin.
I always hear the positive words that the swing is almost there and good scores are coming, only to hear that it's all gone horribly wrong again.

I know you're a lesson/practice-o-holic and I'm not knocking that one bit - that's the way you are.
But I really think you need to stick with what you have for a while and grow into it.
Continually changing bits of the swing, let's face it, ain't working
It's time to try something else.
I'd take time off lessons, just let the swing develop, you'll understand it more because you'll see it regularly, not with a change here and there that takes forever to bed-in....I'd also cut down the practice sessions and just play more.
I hate to see anyone suffering on the course - except, maybe, Fragger - but I think you need to change your regime, break the cycle and just play the game, rather than worrying about where your hands, feet or elbows are.....

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tears by 11th!!??

You need to either find a realistic approach (acceptance) or find something else to do.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Homer..
Ever since I've known you, with a couple of short breaks, you've been having lessons, tinkering with the swing, changing this and that.
I always hear the positive words that the swing is almost there and good scores are coming, only to hear that it's all gone horribly wrong again.

I know you're a lesson/practice-o-holic and I'm not knocking that one bit - that's the way you are.
But I really think you need to stick with what you have for a while and grow into it.
I'd take time off lessons, just let the swing develop, you'll understand it more because you'll see it regularly, not with a change here and there that takes forever to bed-in....I'd also cut down the practice sessions and just play more.
I hate to see anyone suffering on the course - except, maybe, Fragger - but I think you need to change your regime, break the cycle and just play the game, rather than worrying about where your hands, feet or elbows are.....

This man speaks the truth.

If you just go out and play, forget about the lessons, what's the worst that'll happen? You'll play badly.

Well you're doing that anyway and spending a fortune while you're at it. At the very least you'll save yourself a few quid.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Homer- we've all been there and some still are:whistle:

is there a cure? probably not!
is there an easier way of thinking about it and simplifying the technicalities? I think so

Will you improve repeating the same methods and inherent flaws time after time- definition of madness!

Theres some well meant advice on here about just standing up and smacking the ball, it's not far off what I think you need to do.

Linear schminear, Rotary schmotary......:smirk: all good when your fundamentals are rock solid

I don't believe theres any other sport that is learned the way golf is.
Every minute detail of just about every part of your anatomy is analysed and 'set' in place before you even start the swing:rolleyes: then there's a plethora of 'critical' and 'essential' information that you must adhere to......................just to knock a ball forward a few yards:rofl:

No wonder you/we end up as basket cases!:eek:ne:

So I'm advocating you have basic basics i.e grip it comfortably, aim where you want, have decent posture then hit the ball in that direction..........forget about swing plane, weight transfer, one piece takeaway, head movement, right knee brace, start downswing with legs, holding lag, head behind ball at impact, releasing the club, clearing hips, balanced finish blah blah blah blah

do this until the fun returns...........:thup:

V

vkurup

Homer..

Well said...lmurg... Everytime I read Homer's tweet, it feels like he is constantly practicing or doing lessons. I have always admired that, because I unfortunately cant grind it out as much as Homer. So when the game falls apart for me, I have only the lack of practice to blame. Not wanting to kick you when you are down, but I see the point in taking a break and just getting out there and playing the game.

I read somewhere if you play with your shaft too much, you can go blind..

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last 3 bounce games I've played I've been called a bandit by everyone one of my playing partners (with a smile...), two were 9 hole evening jaunts in which I played single figure golf (I'm off 17) and the other an 18 hole roll up in which I shot 39 points and took the money, whilst leaving a lot of shots out there.
I went into the stableford on Saturday thinking good things were going to happen. I shot 26 points. 26.
The last medal I played rubbish as well. Everyone at the club is asking me whether I'm down to 12 or so yet, and actually I'm slipping back towards 18.
I think you just have to take it on the chin. it's a cruel game. I put lots of pressure on myself to perform and frankly it's not helping. Fortunately I've had an attitude adjustment on the course, I used to get angry but now I'm able to laugh about it.
I think you need to get some perspective. Yes it can be a frustrating game but you are out there for the love of it, it is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun for you then I'd suggest you need to change either your outlook or your hobby.

Also agree with the guys suggesting a break from lessons and all the practice and over-analysis might be worthwhile.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would buy yourself another pair of golf shoes Homer. Guaranteed to knock three shots off your round.
Or failing that, cut 3" off the shafts of your clubs. They'll fit in the dustbin easier.
Seriously. You take it too seriously.
FFS!!!

S

Snelly

Don't worry about it. My golf is appalling at the moment but it won't last. A good round is always just around the next corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.