Embarrased to be out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Struggled all weekend with the swing but managed to get it round in the comp (two round over any of the three days of the long weekend). Went out today to just play and have no pressure and mark a card for one of those still to put their second card in.

I've not been comfortable in the changes my pro made in the last lesson but have stuck with it and the good ones are very good and the poor ones less destructive and a lot of my issues have been on the putting green. Nice day, no pressure and swinging ok. What could possibly go wrong?

Stuck the first shot of the day straight right OB and it barely go better. I lost five balls, recorded my lowest stableford score and quite frankly was close to tears of frustration by the eleventh. I didn't want to be there but was marking a card so had to soldier on. As the others were in the competition I couldn't get annoyed or rant and rave. No-one wants to play with a mardy so and so at the best of times especially when you've a card in hand so I was trying so hard just to keep up and shut up while exploding inside.

My problem is there was no sign of it melting away over the last few days. 29 and 32 points are hardly earth shattering but there were signs of forward momentum. Today was an embarrassment. Nothing positive happened and aside from a random drive that went high and straight and a couple of putts from 10 feet I can't think of anything that worked. I had no swing thoughts and really was just out to play and relax and let my recent practice come out. More annoying was there wasn't one stock bad shot and I hit some hook/pulls (not getting into ball flight laws for an exact definition - it went left and never seen again), pushes/slices and I saved my shank for the 18th to cap it all off.

Trying hard to just chill and watch the sport and forget about it but its nagging like toothache. I'm hoping this was a ghastly one off but worried now. I am trying to practice less and play more so don't faancy hitting the range tomorrow especially as I've no idea what the fault is. Got a lesson booked from yonks ago on Wednesday and need to sit down and have a serious chat about my swing, the work we are doing and whether it is actually working. Been trying so hard to get the changes working and it has felt close. Today I feel like I've never played before.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a more serious note.
As you advocate lessons,you have to trust your pro,im sure he will make you understand
that changes take time to bed in.
Stay positive,it will change for the better,im sure.
Good luck.
The other post was banter,of course:)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ignore it Homer.

Not normal situation, so anything can happen - and often does when swing is in (your usual!) state of change. No swing thought is not a particularly good thing imo and can result in all sorts of peculiar results.

Take heart thinking that round yesterday was a 36-pointer - apart from those 2 tee shots.

Check in with the Pro by all means. I'm sure he'll see lots of potential for improvement. Sounds like putting is your major hang-up at the moment though.

Have you considered you may actually be scoring better than your ability though?

FaldosJumper

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep been there this weekend... NR'd on the 18th twice due to lost balls and as I was looking for birdies to maintain handicap I didn't see the point in dropping and playing on as would've went up anyway. Thoroughly peed off with my game so went and bought a new Scotty today... that'll sort it out ;)

Got my howdidido email and up .2 for the weekends games :(

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Homer, you have my sympathy.

A few of the lads who converse with me on Twitter will already know I've hit the skids a bit just lately.

Played Wychwood Park on Saturday in the glorious sunshine with a few pals, and, strangely found something in my swing.

Stuck with it and the results were quite impressive. Drives went well, irons went well only thing that went pear shaped was the chipping :mad:

I even hit a 220 yard 4 wood off the deck into a par 4 after finding a bunker off the tee and having to take a 9 iron to advance the ball forward.

I don't think there are many folk on here Homer who live the game like you do. You practice hard. Have absolute trust in your pro and the changes he wants to make. I think you, like me, put far too much pressure on yourself.

Take a step back, go out without a score card and no thoughts, forget swing changes, just go out and hit the ball. Take the pressure off yourself and try and enjoy the game instead of constantly working at it.

All the best pal.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think you need a serious chat with Rhys mate. Your ball striking has improved, you're not hitting the wayward shots you were this time last year and your short game is much better. Only last week in the rollup you won with 36 points and front nine Saturday and yesterday you played well. I'll admit that talking about going back to an old swing before yesterdays round did set alarm bells ringing in my head. You said you felt more comfortable with your setup yesterday and 32 points isn't a disaster by any stretch of the imagination.

From the outside it looks like Rhys has been making progress with you but you have to be happy and comfortable with what you're doing

V

vkurup

Struggled all weekend with the swing but managed to get it round in the comp (two round over any of the three days of the long weekend). Went out today to just play and have no pressure and mark a card for one of those still to put their second card in.

I've not been comfortable in the changes my pro made in the last lesson but have stuck with it and the good ones are very good and the poor ones less destructive and a lot of my issues have been on the putting green. Nice day, no pressure and swinging ok. What could possibly go wrong?

Stuck the first shot of the day straight right OB and it barely go better. I lost five balls, recorded my lowest stableford score and quite frankly was close to tears of frustration by the eleventh. I didn't want to be there but was marking a card so had to soldier on. As the others were in the competition I couldn't get annoyed or rant and rave. No-one wants to play with a mardy so and so at the best of times especially when you've a card in hand so I was trying so hard just to keep up and shut up while exploding inside.

My problem is there was no sign of it melting away over the last few days. 29 and 32 points are hardly earth shattering but there were signs of forward momentum. Today was an embarrassment. Nothing positive happened and aside from a random drive that went high and straight and a couple of putts from 10 feet I can't think of anything that worked. I had no swing thoughts and really was just out to play and relax and let my recent practice come out. More annoying was there wasn't one stock bad shot and I hit some hook/pulls (not getting into ball flight laws for an exact definition - it went left and never seen again), pushes/slices and I saved my shank for the 18th to cap it all off.

Trying hard to just chill and watch the sport and forget about it but its nagging like toothache. I'm hoping this was a ghastly one off but worried now. I am trying to practice less and play more so don't faancy hitting the range tomorrow especially as I've no idea what the fault is. Got a lesson booked from yonks ago on Wednesday and need to sit down and have a serious chat about my swing, the work we are doing and whether it is actually working. Been trying so hard to get the changes working and it has felt close. Today I feel like I've never played before.

For a min, I thought I was reading Rory's blog!!!.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dont take this the wrong way Homer but thank god its not just me. I started with an 8 then 6 6 4 7 10 yes thats a ten. If I hadnt burst out laughing I honestly think I would have cried. After that I played ok and actually managed a decent back 9 so at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

On your situation I kind of agree with Gareth above, you practice a hell of a lot and the pressure your putting on yourself at the moment is probably affecting you more than anything else. You play off 10.5 so your not a hacker mate, take the pressure off yourself and remember its a game we play for fun ;)

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you play poorly one day, forget it. If you play poorly the next time out, review your fundamentals of grip, stance, aim and ball position. Most mistakes are made before the club is swung. If you play poorly for a third time in a row, go see your professional. (Penick, H)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Every mid-capper has periods of severe form loss. It's horrid, so I think we all feel your pain. And off 10 there's not much room for error.

Why not try and break the cycle by taking out (say) just your even numbered irons and putter next time you play.

It will have two effects - you'll need to think carefully about where you want to put the ball to give you the best next shot. And you'll have to manufacture a few to make them longer or shorter.

Both of these will make you think a lot more about course management and targets (real golf) and a bit less about the swing.

Hope that whatever you find works soon. The first good round after a few bad ones is like the first pint after a birdie on the 18th !

D

Deleted member 1740

Homer man we're here again!

My opinion on it for what its worth is you've made changes and your doubting those changes that have seen your game improve but not your scoring.

Jib your lessons for a while and carry on with your new swing. Reverting back to type will do you no favours and demolish the hard work and effort you've put in.

You sound like you think too much about your swing instead of feeling your swing.

Either way good luck fella.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Get out on the practice ground you big girl's blouse!!

36pts every time you tee it up is a MINIMUM requirement for a forumer* ;)

(* = Smiffy not included)

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Really sorry to read this Homer.

Just remember that you're not alone. I played yesterday with a guy who's off 5 and the pro said to me before we went out "You're playing with a really good player today". He'd shot 80 on Saturday (5 over h/c) and wasn't too pleased about that, but on Sunday he had an absolute nightmare. He eventually NR'd on the 13th after fluffing a chip and then 3 putting. By his own admission, his head was just completely frazzled due to all the silly mistakes he'd made and the poor shots he'd hit.

We all want to be better at this game and we're all annoyed when we play badly but you really seem to let it get to you. Ultimately, it's only a game and it's supposed to be enjoyable. I've been reading your threeoffthetee blog and it's a good read it but I must say that, from that and your posts on here, it seems to me that you really do get yourself down about the game.

Don't beat yourself up about not playing to your full potential. It happens to all of us, and I dare say it happens more often than not.

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't dwell on it, your pro will be able to sort you out in 10 mins, probably only something simple you need to change. When I hit it inconsistently its usually because my body is aiming right of target and I start coming over the top. Just needs someone to point it out !

T

thecraw

Do yourself a favour and just chuck it, your just beating yourself up. Take up tennis.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stick with it. Your pro made changes for a reason. If you are not comfortable with the changes then to be honest that sounds like a good thing. If it felt just like before then you are probably not doing anything different. I remember when I switched from a baseball grip to the vardon grip - it felt strange and I wasnt happy with it at first because I couldnt hit a thing with it. Persevere and give the changes time to work mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.