Dress code and BAME

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Now I'm all for traditional dress codes and I noticed in other threads that discussions were being had over shirts in/out etc.
http://www.englandgolf.org/news.aspx?sitesectionid=38&itemid=7003&search=

What do others think about BAME and the dress codes?

Are gowns allowed on the golf course? Are burkas permitted in the clubhouse when Winter hats are not?

It will be interesting to hear your views and to also see how clubs adopt any new rulings regarding specific clothing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We had the Nigerian golf society at my club, and we had tribal dress and bongos in the club house. It was great. Loved it.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Expecting this thread to descend into chaos.

No doubt though this will be another example of the 'BAME' being able to wear what they please. Where as we have to adhere to the same dress codes.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Club has a significant Asian membership, of various religions. Most are male, but we also have a good few female membership.
None of the women wear religious clothes whilst playing golf. (that sounds wrong- they DO wear clothes!)

We have a couple of men who wear turbans most of the time, but will wear a cap instead when playing golf.
Obviously they are not expected to remove this cap when they enter the clubhouse and to my knowledge there has never been an issue with other members objecting to this.

Because of our mixed membership, I think my club is more integrated and enlightened than some

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The link is for England Golf and is titled "Breaking down golfing barriers"

Andy Willems, the England Golf’s Senior Regional Manager, said: “We want to promote golf to these communities in a way they find appealing and to let them know that golf is a welcoming and inclusive game.”

The biggest barrier seems to be that while England Golf is promoting Get Into Golf set up by Surrey and Middlesex County Golf Partnerships, I've just tried several separate searches for 'Learn to play golf' or 'get back into golf' even just a 'golf lesson' in a few different postcodes and counties in England... and all searches returned zero results!

Now that smacks of exclusivity ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Expecting this thread to descend into chaos.

No doubt though this will be another example of the 'BAME' being able to wear what they please. Where as we have to adhere to the same dress codes.

Well with comments like that it's hard to see it going any other way

I would have zero issue with someone wearing clothing specific to their religion and I would hope golf clubs and its members would show the same tolerance towards our fellow human beings

D

Deleted member 15344

The link is for England Golf and is titled "Breaking down golfing barriers"

Andy Willems, the England Golf’s Senior Regional Manager, said: “We want to promote golf to these communities in a way they find appealing and to let them know that golf is a welcoming and inclusive game.”

The biggest barrier seems to be that while England Golf is promoting Get Into Golf set up by Surrey and Middlesex County Golf Partnerships, I've just tried several separate searches for 'Learn to play golf' or 'get back into golf' even just a 'golf lesson' in a few different postcodes and counties in England... and all searches returned zero results!

Now that smacks of exclusivity ;)

Which counties did you try ?

Plenty here around the country

http://www.getintogolf.org/Mapsearchstart.aspx

D

Deleted member 15344

Fraid that just takes you to the search page

I tried random ones really, Penzance, gloucester, ipswich, london for various activities and throughout October, and expanded the range to the max 30 miles, each one returned zero results

Not sure why as when I search Ipswich it returns 6 places ?Gloucester 5 pages worth ? Penzance 8 places and London 30 pages worth

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting thread. A huge untapped market and boy do clubs need to tap into every market. Maybe this type of initiative may encourage clubs to think of other areas where improvements can be made and others encouraged to play. Golf clubs can still be very intimidating.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wish them well in bringing new players from any community (ethnic or otherwise) and no idea why dress code would be an obstacle

I play each week with guys and galls from goodness knows where but certainly spread across various countries & continents (most I would guess are from Europe, Asia & Africa) and dress code hasn't reared its head as an issue

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking about it I can't think that men would have any issues with golf gear. The whole Sikh turban issues of yesteryear for example are no longer an issue, just part of normal life now. Dress restrictions tend to just be for women in certain circles but not enought to stop them playing. You are then in to a deeper area regarding the freedom that some women have to make their own choices, play sport, be away from direct family etc but that is a heavy topic on its own.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and we drift into the quagmire of discrimination - so when a club does not permit wearing of burqa or niqab are they discriminating against some women joining the club. Eeegh - I no want to go there :(

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Well with comments like that it's hard to see it going any other way

I would have zero issue with someone wearing clothing specific to their religion and I would hope golf clubs and its members would show the same tolerance towards our fellow human beings

But no doubt you'd have a problem with someone turning up in jeans and a t shirt? If they are going to relax dress codes then they need to relax them for everybody.

Also, i may be wrong but i think that golf is frowned upon in muslim women society.

D

Deleted member 15344

But no doubt you'd have a problem with someone turning up in jeans and a t shirt? If they are going to relax dress codes then they need to relax them for everybody.

Also, i may be wrong but i think that golf is frowned upon in muslim women society.

Our club allows people in the clubhouse in jeans

Allowing burka etc isnt "relaxing" dress codes it's being tolerant of other religious or racial differences in regards clothing.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it's only going to annoy / get under the skin of people who have an issue with the golf dress code in general.

I like wearing the golf gear, but for those who don't could argue "If he / she doesn't have to wear it, why do I?".

Clubhouse clobber rules comes down to reasons to ban it. No caps is about respect (going back a fair few years I'm sure) whereas Turbans are a religious and not disrespectful.

I'm not sure WHY caps are taken off as a sign of respect mind you?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely it's only going to annoy / get under the skin of people who have an issue with the golf dress code in general.

I like wearing the golf gear, but for those who don't could argue "If he / she doesn't have to wear it, why do I?".

Clubhouse clobber rules comes down to reasons to ban it. No caps is about respect (going back a fair few years I'm sure) whereas Turbans are a religious and not disrespectful.

I'm not sure WHY caps are taken off as a sign of respect mind you?
I think it harks back to the Dark Ages when you removed your helmet to show you were not a foe.
Some Clubs haven't left the Dark Ages yet...