Do you still carry cash?

Do you carry cash or are you cashless now

• Total voters

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I pay for almost everything with cash. Canā€™t remember the last time I used a card. I know how much I can spend every week and I know how much is left for the week on any given day.

Mrs H uses her card for almost everything. By Thursday she hasnā€™t a clue what sheā€™s spent nor what she has left.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Probably very similar to Starling Bank and their card. You can allocate spaces, where the money is protected for certain things....such as your kids, a project or whatever.
And you earn interest on your money with them.
Sounds too complicated for me.
I just have a standing order that goes into a savings account.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry if Iā€™m being stupid,but whatā€™s the advantages?

The "pockets" system on there is very very good

I've got 5 current accounts with 4 banks. So I don't use Monzo but I set up my system before it came out

Basically these pockets can be set up instantly

So if you want to go say on holiday and you want to put cash aside, make a little holiday fund and it's instantly set up ready to use rather than opening another savings account or pooling all your savings and the holiday fund getting lost in general savings

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The "pockets" system on there is very very good

I've got 5 current accounts with 4 banks. So I don't use Monzo but I set up my system before it came out

Basically these pockets can be set up instantly

So if you want to go say on holiday and you want to put cash aside, make a little holiday fund and it's instantly set up ready to use rather than opening another savings account or pooling all your savings and the holiday fund getting lost in general savings
Is there a charge for it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a charge for it?

Na it's free to use , you can pay for premium like most banks but basic current account is free

Good option to have for a second bank

After @Mudball experience of being kicked out his bank I'd strongly recommend everyone to have a back up bank account they can use if anything happens to the main one

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I always carry cash and use it where I can, I can also tappy tap if needed on the phone or plastics, I get annoyed when places only take card or only take cash, you should always be able to pay any way you like.

Loved it when the local Sainsburyā€™s recently suffered from a cyber attack and you couldnā€™t use your cardā€¦ ā€œCash only Iā€™m afraidā€ lamented the 19 year old store manager as I walked in ā€œand Iā€™m afraid the cash machine outside has run out!ā€ he sobbedā€¦ No problem for competent types.

And Iā€™d just like to say that itā€™s Tomato sauce for every sandwich except bacon and mushroom, that just has to be HP.šŸ˜†

Tashyboy

Please donā€™t ask to see my tatts šŸ‘
Visit site
I mainly use cash. It is much easier to budget if you have a certain amount of cash per week/month. You are more aware of how much you are spending and when the weekly/monthly cash runs out you realise how much you have spent. Using a credit/debit card and looking at my bank statement, I don't have a clue who the payments are for.
One other thing with this. I think if something is say Ā£50. For me handing over Ā£50 cash tends to give me a bit more perspective on the value of something. Rather than just seeing numbers come up on a screen.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
One other thing with this. I think if something is say Ā£50. For me handing over Ā£50 cash tends to give me a bit more perspective on the value of something. Rather than just seeing numbers come up on a screen.
Yep especially after a few beers.
Use to go out with Ā£100 & you knew how much youā€™d spent,knew how much you needed to save for a kebab a taxi home.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
When we stopped getting paid in cash it just encouraged people to get into debt via overdrafts and credit cards.
Getting paid weekly in cash made you more responsible with money, if you got Ā£60 on a Friday (supervisor would bring the wages out in little envelopes at about 3pm and we would bugger off home as soon as he left šŸ˜) it had to last the week, so if you went a bit crazy over the weekend and come Monday you only had Ā£15 left you had to make it last.