Do you still carry cash?

Do you carry cash or are you cashless now

• Total voters

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just 1 interjection from me, this is just an idea but could you not have a credit card dedicated to just your work travel/parking that you can show is soley work stuff for HMRC benefits?
I have 1 credit card I use just for pay by phone parking and congestion charging. It carries no VAT as parking and CC are VAT free, but the monthly statement shows every spend which goes in as expenses and it's accepted.
Perhaps 1 other thing. if you woudl like to donate towards my monthly parking bill? Its only £550-£800 a month:)
This is what we do in my company. I have 2 company cards. One for fuel and one for Travel & Expenses. They then get submitted at the end of every month. It keeps my business expenses totally separate from my personal ones.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Always worth remembering that people are different

Even more so it’s worth remembering that no technology is perfect , there isn’t anything that can’t be hack

And yes there are lots of CCTV around the place that does monitor movements

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is what we do in my company. I have 2 company cards. One for fuel and one for Travel & Expenses. They then get submitted at the end of every month. It keeps my business expenses totally separate from my personal ones.

All fine providing you don’t leave your expenses for 3 months at a time 🤷🏼

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Got a haircut today and it was cash only.

I don’t know what sort of barber you go to, Brian, but an awful lot of Turkish barber establishments will only accept cash. The same goes for car washes staffed by Eastern Europeans.

The sad fact is, and it is a fact before anyone gets hot under the collar and accuses me of xenophobia, these places are often set up to launder money. That’s why they are cash only.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t know what sort of barber you go to, Brian, but an awful lot of Turkish barber establishments will only accept cash. The same goes for car washes staffed by Eastern Europeans.

The sad fact is, and it is a fact before anyone gets got under the collar and accuses me of xenophobia, these places are often set up to launder money. That’s why they are cash only.

Which is the REAL reason cashless is being pushed... Not to "monitor us" and all that other nonsense.. it's a way of closing these operations for organised crime.

Springveldt

Visit site
I like when going out for a meal one the places we go if there are 4 of us automatically applies 10% service charge, can take off if you ask, however I find it so useful then you don't have to worry about cash for a tip just pay that

Only because not all restaurants offer cashless tips. Hit and miss
I remember when I was in Chiquitos in the Metro Centre they tried that nonsense. Was a family gathering of 12 people, bill was just over £300 and since I was paying with card (the other families carry cash, hated that btw) it tried to add on a 10% service charge automatically. Bearing in mind we had saw no one at the table except to take an order and bring food (i.e. doing the basics of their job) I asked them to remove the charge.

Before you know it there were 4 waiters around me and a manager all saying they didn't know how to. I told them it was fine, I'd wait until someone figured out how to remove it. Someone magically then remembered how to do it.

Sorry, this isn't the US where tipping culture is just mental, I'll leave a tip if I want to and an amount of my choosing. I'm definitely not going to leave a default 10% just because someone did the basics of their job. If the company thinks the servers deserve 10% more then bloody pay them 10% more.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember when I was in Chiquitos in the Metro Centre they tried that nonsense. Was a family gathering of 12 people, bill was just over £300 and since I was paying with card (the other families carry cash, hated that btw) it tried to add on a 10% service charge automatically. Bearing in mind we had saw no one at the table except to take an order and bring food (i.e. doing the basics of their job) I asked them to remove the charge.

Before you know it there were 4 waiters around me and a manager all saying they didn't know how to. I told them it was fine, I'd wait until someone figured out how to remove it. Someone magically then remembered how to do it.

Sorry, this isn't the US where tipping culture is just mental, I'll leave a tip if I want to and an amount of my choosing. I'm definitely not going to leave a default 10% just because someone did the basics of their job. If the company thinks the servers deserve 10% more then bloody pay them 10% more.

majority of restaurants we dine in I manage to get instant vouchers through an app which saves 10% off the bill

I use that saving to cover the tip

Share the love 😘

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

The sad fact is, and it is a fact before anyone gets hot under the collar and accuses me of xenophobia, these places are often set up to launder money. That’s why they are cash only.
I agree about this, well known money laundering process. But a lot of small independent businesses do struggle to make a go of it and up to a 3% transaction charge can be harmful. I went into a cafe yesterday near Victoria station, pleasant place but a £5 minimum card spend. So no good if you just want a tea.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keep telling yourself that,they’re watching you 👀
Sadly he is correct about the Turkish barbers being used for money laundering. The sheer number of them and the cheap prices they charge means an easy way to launder money. That is from serving Kent police officers mouths.
That isn’t the reason they are pushing cashless though, society is doing that through laziness.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree about this, well known money laundering process. But a lot of small independent businesses do struggle to make a go of it and up to a 3% transaction charge can be harmful. I went into a cafe yesterday near Victoria station, pleasant place but a £5 minimum card spend. So no good if you just want a tea.
You went to the wrong cafe then;)
However lots of corner shops have a minimum spend if paying by card, as yes, the card fees do hurt. Paying by PayPal is even worse.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sadly he is correct about the Turkish barbers being used for money laundering. The sheer number of them and the cheap prices they charge means an easy way to launder money. That is from serving Kent police officers mouths.
That isn’t the reason they are pushing cashless though, society is doing that through laziness.
And naivety.
Where or how I choose to spend my money is up to me, it’s a matter of privacy which some cannot understand.

Also In an unpredictable world, there is always a concern about system vulnerability. How resilient is the technology that supports a cashless society?

Natural disasters or even large-scale cyber attacks could render entire financial systems useless.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And naivety.
Where or how I choose to spend my money is up to me, it’s a matter of privacy which some cannot understand.

Also In an unpredictable world, there is always a concern about system vulnerability. How resilient is the technology that supports a cashless society?

Natural disasters or even large-scale cyber attacks could render entire financial systems useless.

Got to love this.. from people who post online. And will have a smart phone no doubt?

Yeah your really a rebel using cash. They already have everything they need to know on you but carry on thinking your beating the man 🤣🤣🤣

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And naivety.

I fully agree.
Let’s also not forget anything Chinese made….

Springveldt

Visit site
majority of restaurants we dine in I manage to get instant vouchers through an app which saves 10% off the bill

I use that saving to cover the tip

Share the love 😘
What's the point of having 10% off if you are just going to spend it anyway? Isn't the point of having 10% to save you money?