Do we make this game harder than needed with the equipment we choose,

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
People often think the CoG is the centre of the club face, with irons you can get a pretty decent estimate of CoG by drawing a couple of lines on it and it tends not to be in the centre. This sweetspot is where you'd want any marks to be centred around assuming you're wanting centred impact.

If you like I could download that picture, draw a couple of lines and upload as you may find it interesting particuarly when compared to marks on the club.

If you like pal :thup:

Generally I was under the impression CoG will also be affected by weight being moved down and back in the head. That won't be easily measured or translated based on just head shape.

Either way, I'm getting the flight, shape and distance I'm after striking it there, but would be interesting to see.

If you want to kill 5 minutes pal, be my guest :lol:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you like pal :thup:

Generally I was under the impression CoG will also be affected by weight being moved down and back in the head. That won't be easily measured or translated based on just head shape.

Either way, I'm getting the flight, shape and distance I'm after striking it there, but would be interesting to see.

If you want to kill 5 minutes pal, be my guest :lol:

Roughly where they intersect.

It's affected by the weight everywhere in the club and it's distribution. It tends to be around there as most iron design isn't really that different and the weight around the hosel pulls it heel side a little. I was shown 3 ways of estimating which all produced roughly similar results and were close to the actual CoG (calculated using computer modelling). This was the simplest another involved suspending the club, tbh I'm struggling to remember the other 2 methods and can't find my notes on the subject without a proper search. I would suspect the 3rd involved rough estimates of geometric shapes.

I believe deeper faced clubs give more scope for moving CoG around so this is an iron estimate and not one to be applied for hollow headed type clubs.

http://img5.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/18779/1877915568e46c776eb212475f0b74026d6086e3.jpg

Spelling alteration

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I see.

Interesting diagram. I won't pretend to understand it, but interesting non the less.

The intersection represents an approximation of the sweetspot, where we should be hitting the ball for maximum energy transfer.

If I was to wear marks on the face, I'd want them to be close to this point in a consistent tight pattern.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The intersection represents an approximation of the sweetspot, where we should be hitting the ball for maximum energy transfer.

If I was to wear marks on the face, I'd want them to be close to this point in a consistent tight pattern.

Now bear in mind that picture is taken with the club head at a significant angle (Not face on).

That must, surely, affect the positioning of the intersection?

I can't see a club designer placing the CoG that close to the hosel! Or am I missing the point?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Now bear in mind that picture is taken with the club head at a significant angle (Not face on).

That must, surely, affect the positioning of the intersection?

I can't see a club designer placing the CoG that close to the hosel! Or am I missing the point?

Ah ok it's a 2D image at an angle.

Draw the lines on your club from those points and see where they meet, this is will be hosel side of the centre. The design of the club (Think of where the hosel, shaft, grip and clubhead are dictates to a large extent where the CoG would be. As I said it may not even be on the club face. They can move weight around a bit through design and small changes of CoG can and do have an effect, but roughly where those lines intersect is where the CoG will be and it will be slightly to the closer to the hosel in any kind of normal club design, position too much weight toe side to move the CoG more central would affect how a club would play.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very interesting...... And I'm not just saying that.

I'm genuinely interested in things like this so you may be getting a PM for more info.

As for striking, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. If I tried to hit that point I'd be back in Arthur-J-Ville (twinned with Shanksville) :lol:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very interesting...... And I'm not just saying that.

I'm genuinely interested in things like this so you may be getting a PM for more info.

As for striking, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. If I tried to hit that point I'd be back in Arthur-J-Ville (twinned with Shanksville) :lol:

They say a shanks nearly a good shot :) not much consolation when you get a dose of them :(

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Roughly where they intersect.

It's affected by the weight everywhere in the club and it's distribution. It tends to be around there as most iron design isn't really that different and the weight around the hosel pulls it heel side a little. I was shown 3 ways of estimating which all produced roughly similar results and were close to the actual CoG (calculated using computer modelling). This was the simplest another involved suspending the club, tbh I'm struggling to remember the other 2 methods and can't find my notes on the subject without a proper search. I would suspect the 3rd involved rough estimates of geometric shapes.

I believe deeper faced clubs give more scope for moving CoG around so this is an iron estimate and not one to be applied for hollow headed type clubs.

http://img5.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/18779/1877915568e46c776eb212475f0b74026d6086e3.jpg

Spelling alteration

Judging by the look of that diagram i must be the best ball striker on here:)

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my mate uses mb off 28 and is doing well with them, even smashes the 3 iron long. you just need to concentrate more with less forgiving irons this is a good thing

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been holding off since last night but now feel the need to post :D

I currently play off 14 (13.8), and due to be cut to 13 in the A/R. I started playing 'better player' clubs off an 18/19 handicap. I moved from my Taylormade R7 irons to Mizuno MP32's, quite a big jump I think we can all agree on that.

That season I dropped 2 full shots going from 18.4 (... Breifly 18.5) to 16.3.

I then had a bit of a windfall come my way and decided that, obviously, new shineys were in order, so got custom fitted for my MP63 irons (... And wedges). Since I've got fit in February this year, my handicap has gone from 16.3 to where it sits now at 13.8 and, as I said, I'm hopefully in the annual review to get dropped to 12.8. (... Fingers crossed).

I will agree 100% that forgiving clubs in the game of golf are no bad thing. What I will argue is the amount of forgiveness each player needs. To say everyone needs the same amount of help would be a little stereotypical and, well, daft.

Take Patrick above as a good example. Played MP62's and got to where he is handicap wise, but decided he'd like a little more help when not swinging well, so went to the 825 pro (.. I think). Patrick doesn't need masses of help, just enough for when his swing is a little out. Pointless giving him a set of, say, G25's as the massive difference in look, feel and flight would be quite off putting I would have thought.

Taking myself as another example. Everyone knows I love a good picture :lol: ....... So

null_zps7cd4e08a.jpg

null_zps9944aee6.jpg

578C2F66-1E05-4919-A6D8-AE5A35A11003-6287-000002822E7BD249_zpsb5b91f34.jpg

I tend to find the middle more often than I miss it, so I don't feel I need anything more forgiving than I currently play. Of course I don't hit the middle every single time, that would just be a foolish claim, but that's why I don't play blades :thup:

The fitter, after viewing marks on impact tape, agreed I would have no issue playing the 63's.

If I was slapping the ball from all over the face, with no distinct pattern of strike, I'd definatley consider something more forgiving.

Like I say. Forgiving irons aren't a bad thing, neither are forgiving woods. The trick is tayloring the amount of forgiveness required to the player using the clubs.

My issues stem from too quick a transition to the downswing which, in turn, cause swing path issues giving the odd erratic flight. I strike the ball well enough, but when my swing path is off, the shape of the shot isn't as desired.

With all the best will in the world, no amount of forgiveness in a club head will correct a swing path issue because if it did, lets face it, we'd all be using them :)

If you're issues are hitting the ball fat, thin, top, shank, slice, hook etc, forgiving clubs won't help with that. Fix the swing.

If you strike the ball well, but find you miss the middle on the odd occasion, find a set of clubs you feel give you the best mix of confidence to look at and forgiveness when stuck off centre.

That's my tuppence. Over and out :lol:

The centre of your sweet spot seems quite high with the irons Gareth. Mine is quite a bit lower. Might be to do with me hitting down on the irons, and you being more of a sweeper ? Just had a look at Tigers sweet spot on his 8 iron and it is even lower.:eek:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The centre of your sweet spot seems quite high with the irons Gareth. Mine is quite a bit lower. Might be to do with me hitting down on the irons, and you being more of a sweeper ? Just had a look at Tigers sweet spot on his 8 iron and it is even lower.:eek:

I started a thread on that very subject a little while back in the experts section pal:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?61829-What-do-you-make-of-these-impact-marks

From the information garnered, I have a lot of forward shaft lean at impact moving the impact marks up the face, which was corroborated by my Mizzy DNA fitting data having a release factor of 1 (IE very late).

The characteristics my ball flight are more than acceptable so I'm not too worried at the minute.