Do we make this game harder than needed with the equipment we choose,

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I started a thread on that very subject a little while back in the experts section pal:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?61829-What-do-you-make-of-these-impact-marks

From the information garnered, I have a lot of forward shaft lean at impact moving the impact marks up the face, which was corroborated by my Mizzy DNA fitting data having a release factor of 1 (IE very late).

The characteristics my ball flight are more than acceptable so I'm not too worried at the minute.
Not an expert so don't go to that section.;) Just trying to be helpful but you seem to have it covered.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
For me the easiest way to find the sweet spot is to hold the culb by the tip of the grip and let it hang, then tap the face with your finger tip until you find the point where there is no twisting of the club and you sense maximum weight/feedback.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not arguing, but I don't buy the intersection being the sweet spot. Taking it to extremes, imagine a club being a lot narrower at the hosel and a lot wider at the toe. Much more material added to the toe of the club yet the sweet spot would move nearer the hosel?

Richart mentioned a pic of TW's 8 iron. I'd put money on the sweet spot being where the (thousands of) ball marks are:

Item_6890_3.jpg

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not arguing, but I don't buy the intersection being the sweet spot. Taking it to extremes, imagine a club being a lot narrower at the hosel and a lot wider at the toe. Much more material added to the toe of the club yet the sweet spot would move nearer the hosel?

Richart mentioned a pic of TW's 8 iron. I'd put money on the sweet spot being where the (thousands of) ball marks are:

Item_6890_3.jpg

You were a topic of conversation @ Hayling the other week Gary! You and your accurate, well reasoned posts!! Damn you ;) :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You were a topic of conversation @ Hayling the other week Gary! You and your accurate, well reasoned posts!! Damn you ;) :)

One man's logical and well reasoned person is another man's over zealous pedantic geek of an anorak :D

I think my work colleagues and family think it's the latter!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
he caught that one flush out of the heel.

this was supposedly the case with older irons. I highly doubt that is the sweet spot on a modern iron.

drawing two lines on a face doesn't even begin to take into account the weighting behind the club or even the offset of the hosel.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Item_6890_3.jpg

I would have put that picture up Gary, but unfortunately I had no idea how.;) My 8 iron looks like that except that black circle area is pristine on mine.:mad:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Item_6890_3.jpg

Hi Region3:

It sounds nice in theory, but they don't really make clubs like that. Clubs are built for humans to use and have to perform. Adding a lot of weight there would increase shaft bowing (a CoG further from the hosel exerting more of a moment on the shaft - apologies my physics terms may well be wrong). The weight is also in the hosel, shaft and grip which are all to the side of the head due to the way clubs are designed to be soled to play a ball at ground level that is lying to the side of us, this all has an effect of the CoG and limits where CoG can be moved to and results in it been nearer to the hosel than the centre. Again the CoG may not even be on the clubface, but it is an approximation.

Edit: Not 100% sure they'd include the shaft and grip as they may treat the clubhead as a seperate entity for the purposes of impact, the hosel is pulling the CoG that way.

Edit II: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/108

This guy claims that due to a shorter hosel design in one club they are able to get the CoG to the geometric centre, the implication is that with a more normal hosel design this is very difficult to do as again illustrated in the diagram.

Last edited: