Do we make this game harder than needed with the equipment we choose,

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have two examples of why I think there is a certain breed of golfer that makes the game more difficult than needed.

Example 1: a golfer who is not shy when it comes to investing in he's golf equipment (we shall call him fat-wallet)

plays off 14 and is generally a very steady 14 to boot. Fat-wallet has always named callaway but decided this year that he would invest in a full back of custom fit rbz stage 2, tour irons, wedges, fairways/hybrids and a driver ... All done at an approved taylormade CF agent. In 6 months he never breaks more than 38 points, generally doesn't seem to strike the ball with any sort of consistency but was convinced that he needed the rbz tour irons and a matching bag due to marketing hype, after 6 months of generally not being happy with he's golf books in with an open mind with a pro shop that a Cally, ping, titleist and Taylormade approved fitter and requests a full refit.

This was three weeks ago now complete with the callaway extreme driver, g25 woods/hybrid and g25 irons the guy i
Has not had a game lower than 42 points with some 46's and 48's thrown in, now I'm not going to say this is all down to the new clubs as we are now off forward tees, but this is proof that even off 14 with a vast history in the game GI irons and woods can help your scoring if nothing more than building confidence in the swing and consistency - homer, you may want to compare yourself with fat wallet;)

Example two ME.... My games hasn't been bad as such this year but has had highs and lows to sum it up nicely. With my irons coming strong and distances on the up I opted to upgrade the TM TP CB's to a set of razr x forged, both around the same spec I was hoping to see some improvements. 4 games in and a few range sessions my distances were down, consistency was lacking and quality of strike was out the window. After a intensive launch monitor session last week with two games I threw the old cbs in the bag on Saturday night for Sundays fiddle...... 40 points with a triple bogey on the card after a silly course management decision and a few shots still left out there, this coupled with some very windy tricky wet conditions

I sat in the bar while counting my winnings and thinking that without the silly decision and a couple of mistakes this round could have been close to a level par round.... With this in mind it made me wonder how many people try to game clubs well above their skill level in order to blow smoke up their ego, I know the cb's are far from SGI/Gi shovels, but how many are ting to make the game harder buy using unforgiving kit when their skill level requires that gentle cuddle on bad days...

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It would be very easy as somebody who doesn't know you both to say you're a pair of muppet's :whistle:

However, if most golfers where honest I dare say we've all been there and changed something on a whim when the reality is there was nothing wrong with what we had. I've had quite a few drivers and the FT3 which was my first top branded driver was probably as good as anything on the market today. Although I'm probably more consistent I don't think I've had a driver that miraculously hit the ball any further or more accurately and believe me I've tried a few.

The TM R7 irons were so easy to hit I wonder why I sold them and bought a set of TM CB TP's which lasted me all of 12 months and lost me close to a club length in distance on each iron.

My new seasons resolution will be not to change any clubs over the course of the season. Lets see how long that one lasts :rolleyes:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This was three weeks ago now complete with the callaway extreme driver, g25 woods/hybrid and g25 irons the guy i
Has not had a game lower than 42 points with some 46's and 48's thrown in, ...

My only thought was, "this guy plays a lot of golf", nice of you can do it. :)

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The mantra that I use when I buy new irons...What would I want to stand on the 1st tee at my club (Par 3, 180ish yards) and want to hit in the middle of winter, and what will still perform when I am swinging it poorly. I do believe many people buy blades etc because they want to be the big "I am" but in reality, the game is difficult enough as it is, so why make it any harder?!

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do the lofts on each set of clubs compare? Is it solely todo with iron play or is there more to it? How have you been hitting your woods, wedges and so on?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has not had a game lower than 42 points with some 46's and 48's thrown in, now I'm not going to say this is all down to the new clubs as we are now off forward tees, but this is proof that even off 14 with a vast history in the game GI irons and woods can help your scoring if nothing more than building confidence in the swing and consistency - homer, you may want to compare yourself with fat wallet;)

I actually resent this quite forcibly. I have actually regressed in terms of playability clubs going from Tour Preferred's to the G25's so actually making it easier for myself. I have made everything as easy as I can to play well and to be honest it has been the bedding in of the swing changes that have been the issue along with the flaky short game. I haven't actually changed kit in three and a half years.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dave B. Your R7 irons which I bought off you are still working fine!!! Baring accidents they should see me out.
I play with oldies who have kit which Noah must have rescued from the flood but it works for them.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had an R7 driver which I replaced with an I15. The I15 goes about 20 yards shorter but 20 yards straighter.

My I15 irons suit me just fine, although they are quite hard to intentionally hook or cut.

In my late teens I had a set of X31 blades but then I could play the game......:)

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are the "better players clubs" really that unforgiving these days though?

I've got what you would class as irons that are aimed at single figure golfer's but after my 1st round with them and a few range visits I don't see much difference in forgiveness compared to my old irons.

Persoanlly for me the looks and feel of a club means a lot to me and I'd sacrifice some forgiveness for it.

Also if I had some big chunky GI irons I know I'd have in the back of my mind If I didn't strike it very well I'd still get a good result which would lead to me being less focused over shots.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually resent this quite forcibly. I have actually regressed in terms of playability clubs going from Tour Preferred's to the G25's so actually making it easier for myself. I have made everything as easy as I can to play well and to be honest it has been the bedding in of the swing changes that have been the issue along with the flaky short game. I haven't actually changed kit in three and a half years.

Cb's, r11's, g25's...... Not strictly true homeslice

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I constantly think my AP1's are a better iron than I should be playing (no handicap but shoot around 100-110)

I know they're still a "GI" iron but the sweet spot sometimes seems so small, on other days it's seems massive such is my inconsistency

I often wonder if something more GI or Super GI would be of more help to me

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
What about the OCD golfer?

Last season I was striping the driver and had no intention of getting anything new for the foreseeable future. The matching 3 wood I had was a monster off the tee but just too low launch off the deck so I swapped with our pro to his Tight lies tour (matches my hybrid) Used it for one round and although it was x stiff, it just worked for me and was everything I want for a fairway wood. I have not played golf since but tomorrow when my cousin comes back from the states, he is bringing back the new Adams XTD to driver for me so my headcovers and woods brands match.........:eek:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

With no emoticons I can't tell if you are actually being serious but were the G25's not released this year?