Crossfield v Whoever

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I enjoy seeing their coaching prowess crossfields best vids are his live lesson vids he used to do ... think thats why I’m enjoying Marcus Bell a lot but even then that will get Stale I’m sure ... would love Liam Harrison to go there and get a lesson as we know his game and could see whether he could get him drawing it and fading it on command like many of his lessons claim to do so

Tubes vids are great

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah, I found Tubes' channel a few weeks ago and have already rinsed through all of his 'Fooore Hole Challenge' vids. Some of them are superb, I loved Merson's one, and Marc Bircham who I was not familiar with before, but he was really funny.

Some of them are a bit ‘soccer am’ish for me but mostly are really good interviews. Never liked him as a player but Kieran dyer was interesting, as was Wayne bridge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of them are a bit ‘soccer am’ish for me but mostly are really good interviews. Never liked him as a player but Kieran dyer was interesting, as was Wayne bridge.
Yeah Bridge was really funny as well. When he was talking about Man City with Mancini and Balotelli it was class. :D

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Rick Shiels is click baity but that's the youtube Meta, he just knows how best to use his platform for growth etc. and Crossfield is like a little man child in an infants body. Lets be honest who wouldn't it brings in the pay checks. I'd imagine Rick isn't far away if he isn't already at solely relying on his social media platform. Mark couldn't make that happen without also becoming more click baity, likeable and actually networking with others on the platform.

Personally for me the TXG boys are my go to as I like to see all the data, watching them fit and club reviews with someone who is impecabbly consistent so you get some genuine feedback from it. Also like Alex Etches as a local lad to me who smashes it some way and just enjoys himself.

I don't watch many of Rick's videos but I find him a lot more likeable than Mark personally.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dan Hendrickson has become my favourite. Love his stuff plus Lester Barnes is comedy as his sidekick. More natural than the artificial humour of the likes of Coach Lockey

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
2 things:

1) YouTube and the rest of social media is there primarily for entertainment. The same as TV, radio, etc. If people find watching someone try out silly golf clubs entertaining, youtubers are clearly going to make videos on them. Watching a bitter, rapidly ageing ex-golf coach hit balls into a wall, whilst talking about how great his latest sponsor is, isn't really entertaining.

2) But the above gives Crossfield way too much credit. Of the YouTube golf world, he is the Katie Hopkins - he often says something controversial because he knows it will get people talking about him. This thread is a perfect example - it wasn't bumped to talk about a new interesting or entertaining video he has made, but to talk about him acting like a child on Twitter.

A strange man, and one that really does little of interest these days.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There isn’t a single golf YouTube channel where I watch all videos. And I follow a lot of them.
I look at the title, the thumbnail, and if in doubt the length and then decide.

They all have something good, but they all produce a lot of waste as well. It’s free, nothing lost by not watching the duff ones. The only reason I watched Finchies hammer video was Crossfield, btw.

It’s Shields and Finch’s mate Matt Fryer who recently made it into my list. He can be dull, but when he is on it I like him a lot.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
How do shaft lengths compare,...a longer shaft also makes a long iron harder to hit

They pretty much match the loft, see table below.
The 37" length quoted for a 1970s 5 iron is a little short from my experience in measuring the sets I have, they're actually more like 37.25" or 37.5" with 1/2" steps between clubs.

The Mizuno MP-20 5 iron at 38" would match the 1970 4 iron loft and the length of the typical 1970 4 iron would be 37.5" plus 1/2" = 38"
The Callaway Epic Forged 5 iron at 38.875" most closely matches the typical 1970 2 iron in loft, length for that would be 37.5" + 1.5" = 39"

So if you just look at loft and length the clubs are pretty much the same apart from the number on the bottom.
The Epic Forged will have a hot face though so will go further, and more and more of the "players" clubs are going hollow bodied which allows for thinner faces and therefore faster ball speed.

1599573275944.png

Springveldt

Visit site
There isn’t a single golf YouTube channel where I watch all videos. And I follow a lot of them.
I look at the title, the thumbnail, and if in doubt the length and then decide.

They all have something good, but they all produce a lot of waste as well. It’s free, nothing lost by not watching the duff ones. The only reason I watched Finchies hammer video was Crossfield, btw.

It’s Shields and Finch’s mate Matt Fryer who recently made it into my list. He can be dull, but when he is on it I like him a lot.
I'm the same, I am subscribed to quite a few of them and to be honest the ones I watch the most are Crossfield and Hendriksen due to them uploading just as I've finished dinner and they are at the top of the list and I watch Alex Evans every Tuesday as his channel is brilliant for anyone that hasn't found him yet. I probably watch Shiels and Finch maybe once every couple of weeks but their clickbait has put me off but it's clearly working for their channels.

I like Crossfield's current stuff as I'm a bit of a number geek so I'm liking the ShotScope, Arccos stuff. Maybe I can tolerate him since I don't do social media.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think Crossfields ideas and content is easily the best of Shiels/MC/Finch.

Unfortunately the main problem is that he’s in the videos. Shiels is basically just a marketing tool for the manufacturers. He aimed at the US market and got in (hence his numbers have exploded).
I used to like Finch content, but he’s fallen somewhere in the middle imo.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Guys, No Laying Up is the go to golf YouTube channel.

As with others I've lost a bit of interest in Crossfield's videos. It must be difficult posting new content on a regular basis on golf so chances are a channel will get stale very quickly. Also I kind of liked the travel ones he did more and that has been curtailed a lot what with one thing and another. I have noticed that he seems to be posting more instructional type videos now despite him rallying against them for a long time, may be that's what get's the clicks.

Gave up on Shiels a bit ago, far too click batey, I think it was a video where he matched up the same manufacturers balls and clubs together and compared them to see which one was 'the best' (does a TM driver and TM ball go further than a Titleist Driver and Pro V1...), that broke the camels back. Pete Finch's videos once he split with Shiels have always been a bit meh, but he's a nice bloke. I will watch say one in every 3 or 4 he posts.

Reactions: ADB

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crossfield likes to be a bit of a controversialist. He has posted videos before on shaft stiffness, arguing that flex doesn't make much difference based on a set of shots hit by a very good player (him) with a smooth swing. Not exactly stressing the hypothesis.

On the role of the shaft, some of the same may apply. If you give a very good player a different shaft they will be able to adapt to it. I remember seeing Michael Campbell failing to demonstrate the importance of fitting at a Callaway event by striping identical drives with an L flex shaft and his own X shaft.

But for the average player playing a R flex or S flex retail shaft in their driver, stick in a high kick point proper S flex shaft and they will only be able to putt with it. The club isn't only the shaft, but it is a pretty important part.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guys, No Laying Up is the go to golf YouTube channel.

As with others I've lost a bit of interest in Crossfield's videos. It must be difficult posting new content on a regular basis on golf so chances are a channel will get stale very quickly. Also I kind of liked the travel ones he did more and that has been curtailed a lot what with one thing and another. I have noticed that he seems to be posting more instructional type videos now despite him rallying against them for a long time, may be that's what get's the clicks.

Gave up on Shiels a bit ago, far too click batey, I think it was a video where he matched up the same manufacturers balls and clubs together and compared them to see which one was 'the best' (does a TM driver and TM ball go further than a Titleist Driver and Pro V1...), that broke the camels back. Pete Finch's videos once he split with Shiels have always been a bit meh, but he's a nice bloke. I will watch say one in every 3 or 4 he posts.

NLU is a class above in content terms - still cant believe they only have 55k subscribers compared to Rick Shields' over 1m. I have watched some of their series more than once and will probably go back again they are so entertaining IMO. Highly recommended......haven't watched a Crossfield video in ages - they simply got too repetitive for me.

D

Deleted member 21258

Used to watch a reasonable amount of golf uploads, got a bit samey I suppose :unsure:, as slowly but surely almost stopped watching them completely

Do still sometimes look on youtube at the athletic Motion channel to see if they have uploaded, they are very good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rick shields seems to be very popular with those just starting golf and those new to watching golf related YouTube videos.

Hes got a big slice of the market and fair play to him.

There is a lot more to enjoy with the likes of no laying up, adventures in golf with EAL.
Instruction channels like malaska, monte, martin chuck, athletic motion. The list is pretty much endless here where I'd watch before shields for instruction.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
NLU is a class above in content terms - still cant believe they only have 55k subscribers compared to Rick Shields' over 1m. I have watched some of their series more than once and will probably go back again they are so entertaining IMO. Highly recommended......haven't watched a Crossfield video in ages - they simply got too repetitive for me.

I think they value quality over quantity, which some others may not so much. And they do not post videos of them reviewing clubs and saying the same thing over and over and over and over again. Which again seems to get the clicks for some reason.

There is a new Strapped starts soon which is good. And they have filmed a Tourist Sauce recently. I think they had planned to come over to England to film a series, but that got curtailed. Tough scene.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I don't like No Laying Up or Eric Anders Lang.
NLU seems too ideal and EAL is trying too hard to be arty.
And both of them encourage American golfers to the UK which means I can't afford to play any of the top courses.

TigerTime

Visit site
I used to enjoy watching Rick Shiels but the route he has went down is not appealing to me at all. Click bait rubbish. Videos clearly "sponsored" by manufacturers that he says aren't. I'd love to see the sales figures of those products he reviews after he released the video ;). Shiels is the red top tabloid of golfing youtube. The Daily Star if you like.

Finch I don't mind as such. His quest for the open stuff is pretty interesting and just goes to show how hard golf can be at his level. His instruction videos are good but I'm not a fan of the clickbaity stuff he does like his recent challenge with some kids youtubers. I wish he'd go back to the content over the last couple of years instead of going down Shiels route as his production value was top notch.

I've watched MC since I started playing golf and I've always enjoyed his stuff. Even when I stopped playing I'd still find myself watching his course vlogs. I don't find him as annoying as others do but I agree with his overall view on golf and improvement. Some of the course vlogs are hilarious viewing and I'll be looking forward to more when they can get them done. He strikes me as very much someone who is set in his ways and that's absolutely fine nothing wrong with that IMO. Perhaps some would say an outdated approach but sometimes that is the best one. His content is by far the most interesting and revealing if you can put aside the odd piece of bias towards his current sponsor manufacturer. I read a post on reddit once with someone who met him and they said he was absolutely down to earth. I think alot of people take him the wrong way and maybe he needs to come meet these people halfway. As others said space for all.

Sadly the way Youtube is going will be detrimental to Mark's channel as Youtube is all now clickbait rubbish.