Car damage in golf club car park

Springveldt

Visit site
I've played Shields a good number of times, there for a mini meet in a few weeks time, and that car park is not really in play. Bryson might reach it off the tee but for most of us it should not ring alarm bells. Those bushes have played with your mind a bit there, darned bushes 🤭 .

If people want a course to add to the list, the 2nd at Alnmouth Village has a beach car park running alongside it. I've driven into it previously, power fade :eek:, played with plenty of others who have done the same. 2nd oldest 9 hole links course in England, definitely there before the beach car park. Not a comfortable shot, 'aim left, aim left, doh'...............
When I played last year in the forum meetup I was left (nearly missed the ball it was that bad) and thought I would need to hit a provisional but then my playing partner hit his 3 wood onto the fringe so thought "I'll just have a look for it when we get there". It was actually in the first cut about 70 yards short of the green, was amazed at how much space there actually is left, the tee is very deceiving.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had some spaces behind the 9th green at my old place and I have seen a few skinny ones fly the green, likewise we also had some parking to the right of the dogleg 1st. Many a high handicapper that hits a good ball had attempted the tiger line only to lose a high fade into the cars

Luckily I’ve not even been long enough to take that line on so I’ve missed both opportunities.
Weird thing at ours is the first line of cars behind the green is the club comittiees ,Captain ,Secretary etc.
Some very nice expensive ones as well.

Best quip I heard last season was “ just aim away from the Bentley “😂

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate sliced his tee shot on the 18th at North Berwick, bounced OOB then rebounded off a car and rolled up to the green. Must be very common occurrence, similar to 18th on the old course. Surely most car parks have a sign saying park here at your own risk.
Happened to me playing a practice game/ bounce match against a decent Pro.
There was a 200 yard haar on the 18th and I was two shots behind [playing stroke play]
He was a big hitter and seemed to hit s beauty, I never saw mine but thought it had gone right.
We both listened intently for a bang in the still air but nothing happened.
Approaching the green there was a ball about 10 yards from the flag.
I was walking down the car line hoping for a rebound.
He shouts out from the green 'this is yours, I'm over the back'.
He stiffed his chip and I missed the putt. :p

sjw

Visit site
I've played Shields a good number of times, there for a mini meet in a few weeks time, and that car park is not really in play. Bryson might reach it off the tee but for most of us it should not ring alarm bells. Those bushes have played with your mind a bit there, darned bushes 🤭 .

If people want a course to add to the list, the 2nd at Alnmouth Village has a beach car park running alongside it. I've driven into it previously, power fade :eek:, played with plenty of others who have done the same. 2nd oldest 9 hole links course in England, definitely there before the beach car park. Not a comfortable shot, 'aim left, aim left, doh'...............
Yeah, you're right. I've just looked at an overhead view and it's further down than I thought. However, it's a downhill hole and with wind behind... 250 carry gets you to the nearest bay. At the risk of sounding like a Golf WRX member, I could get there

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Seem to recall the ninth fairway and the car park at Fleetwood being not to far apart.

It is right next to it with only a strip of thick rough protecting it.

Given you've a chance at getting on in 2 (it's a par 5) it makes it a pretty dicey shot for most with a long iron or wood in hand!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2 points from the same day at "The Big 6" held at our Club 2 weeks ago.

1. The car park was full and the ld I played with today had his car scraped and nobody admitted it. CCTV showed nothing and the bill was £500.
2. Last hole at our place is 412 yards. A player hit The Clubhouse roof, then hit The Captains car and ended up in bounds. The player from Cumbria ended with a 4 and Cumbria beat Lancashire by 1 point. Very lucky/unlucky.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of our members has had his windscreen cracked by an errant shot from the practice ground. My surmisation is it has to be shanked bunker shot or someone breaking our practice ground rules and hitting it down a chute between the trees and the car park and hit a shank. Massive crack getting bigger. Only happened Sunday so will find out what the club is doing although my guess is not a lot. Big hassle for him as his van is his living

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless I am misinformed, every member of an affiliated club has insurance via England Golf.
I'm certainly not an expert but I thought this was personal liability. Thus if you caused damage to a person or property on the course you were covered for any claim against you - providing you report it. If you haven't got anyone to claim off for damage then tough luck!

As far as the "parked at your own risk" is concerned I thought the club had to have a duty of care by putting up fences, moving tees, etc rather than just using a blanket disclaimer.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you play the Warren in Dawlish you’re doing pretty well playing 18th if you don’t hit a car or the clubhouse or the railway station.

I'm a member was the Warren, that's quite a heafty pull or slice to hit the cark or railway station, not that I haven't done it ;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
playing St Mellion back when it was holding tour events, my brother sliced one into the car park, we all watched it as it headed towards the Jags, Porsches, and Range Rovers only to miss them all and hit a 1980s Volvo that was basically a tank and had no damage

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My mate sliced his tee shot on the 18th at North Berwick, bounced OOB then rebounded off a car and rolled up to the green. Must be very common occurrence, similar to 18th on the old course. Surely most car parks have a sign saying park here at your own risk.
The 18th at The Glen is the same, loads of cars parked down the right hand side. Scary end to your round.

Was driving down a country road recently. It dissects Morpeth GC, which is hidden by hedges. Golf ball lands on the road about 10 yards in front of me, and bounces clean over the car😳

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
At Leighton Buzzard, as long as the perpetrator has informed the pro shop, the club's insurance will cover the repair, if not, there's nothing that they can do.
This, but having it reported is key. My car was parked in the LB car park and I came back to find a golf ball indent in the top of the door frame. No one fessed up so the club couldn’t claim or do anything.

Similar thing happened to a mate, I happened to be standing between his and my car when an errant shot hit and dented his roof, narrowly missing my head in the process. The player was a visitor, I had a friendly chat with him as he walked up, he went in and reported it, mate was able to claim.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Similar first time I played the 18th at the Old Course. Hit a massive power fade off the tee, landed in the back of a flat bed truck parked alongside before rebounding back into play. Asked the caddie, response was shouldn’t park there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 18th at The Glen is the same, loads of cars parked down the right hand side. Scary end to your round.

Was driving down a country road recently. It dissects Morpeth GC, which is hidden by hedges. Golf ball lands on the road about 10 yards in front of me, and bounces clean over the car😳
Seahouses is similar, equally dangerous to drive along that road.