Car damage in golf club car park

Burnsey

Visit site
Recently at my club, player overhit his approach shot and the fourball could all see it was going into the carpark.

The thud followed and they went to investigate.

It had landed on the car roof leaving a large dent, bounced high and onto the windscreen, cracking that too.

It was the players own car :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate sliced his tee shot on the 18th at North Berwick, bounced OOB then rebounded off a car and rolled up to the green. Must be very common occurrence, similar to 18th on the old course. Surely most car parks have a sign saying park here at your own risk.
If you park there you must know the risk. It is absolutely in the hitting area, as close as any course I've played before. I've played it once, I was very happy when the ball landed safely on the fairway.

Springveldt

Visit site
If you park there you must know the risk. It is absolutely in the hitting area, as close as any course I've played before. I've played it once, I was very happy when the ball landed safely on the fairway.
I've never been before so had a look on google maps. Is that the "car park" which is just the road that runs like 3 yards from the fairway? No way I'd want to park.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Many years ago we were playing in Wales and one of my mates carved one onto the car park. The Pro happened to be getting into his car and the ball finished on his passenger seat. Evidently he was very good about it, asked my mate if he was going to play it.
I remember it well. Didn't John A also break the back side window of a Nissan Cherry?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never been before so had a look on google maps. Is that the "car park" which is just the road that runs like 3 yards from the fairway? No way I'd want to park.
Yes, it's a general to the public car park but also the nearest one to the course. Options are limited so that's where people park. I was happy I was not driving that day 😄

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I take it all these courses are very established (old) Surely no ones building a modern course with this kind of design 'flaw'

D-S

Visit site
If you play the Warren in Dawlish you’re doing pretty well playing 18th if you don’t hit a car or the clubhouse or the railway station.

Mandofred

Visit site
You would need a pretty bad shot to hit a car at my course. But.....I still don't park in the nearest spaces that "could" get hit. I'd rather walk a little further to the clubhouse.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I take it all these courses are very established (old) Surely no ones building a modern course with this kind of design 'flaw'
Of the courses I have either played or seen with scary placed car parks, yes, they are old courses. Very probably originated before cars were common on the whole. Old links courses seem to be the worst, not surprisingly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You'd need to be miles long and either left or right on then18th to find the car park at ours...miles straight finds the water tanks and free relief...
The driveway is in range of a hooked 2nd shot on the same hole though....

sjw

Visit site
Closest I've felt to a car park was down the left of the 18th of South Shields. No idea how close the car park actually is, as it's blocked out by bushes once you're on the tee, but I wouldn't want to be a lefty with a slice!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Closest I've felt to a car park was down the left of the 18th of South Shields. No idea how close the car park actually is, as it's blocked out by bushes once you're on the tee, but I wouldn't want to be a lefty with a slice!
I've played Shields a good number of times, there for a mini meet in a few weeks time, and that car park is not really in play. Bryson might reach it off the tee but for most of us it should not ring alarm bells. Those bushes have played with your mind a bit there, darned bushes 🤭 .

If people want a course to add to the list, the 2nd at Alnmouth Village has a beach car park running alongside it. I've driven into it previously, power fade :eek:, played with plenty of others who have done the same. 2nd oldest 9 hole links course in England, definitely there before the beach car park. Not a comfortable shot, 'aim left, aim left, doh'...............

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nobody admits a thin!
Just a bit low on the groves 😳

Our car park is right behind the 18th green.
Seen several cars hit .

We had some spaces behind the 9th green at my old place and I have seen a few skinny ones fly the green, likewise we also had some parking to the right of the dogleg 1st. Many a high handicapper that hits a good ball had attempted the tiger line only to lose a high fade into the cars

Luckily I’ve not even been long enough to take that line on so I’ve missed both opportunities.