Crossfield v Whoever

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough, while most people are obsessed with distance, losing distance actually appeals to me in a way. I currently can't hit my 6 iron, which is 26°, and with my PW being 44° (and seems to play even stronger than that in relation to my Cleveland wedges), I've had to put in a 46° to plug the gap to the 50°. So with the Orka irons being in traditional lofts I feel like my bag set-up would look less ridiculous, as it currently features three irons and five wedges if you only consider what's written on them. :LOL: Basically I think the gapping would be more preferable, and even if I had to hit 7 where I used to hit 8, I don't really care about that.
Well if gapping is an issue for you and you struggle to hit your low lofted power bats I'd definitely look into orka, a 32 degree six iron will definitely be easier to hit all around than one with 26 degrees, you will also no longer need so many wedges so why wouldn't you look into it

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Funnily enough, while most people are obsessed with distance, losing distance actually appeals to me in a way. I currently can't hit my 6 iron, which is 26°, and with my PW being 44° (and seems to play even stronger than that in relation to my Cleveland wedges), I've had to put in a 46° to plug the gap to the 50°. So with the Orka irons being in traditional lofts I feel like my bag set-up would look less ridiculous, as it currently features three irons and five wedges if you only consider what's written on them. :LOL: Basically I think the gapping would be more preferable, and even if I had to hit 7 where I used to hit 8, I don't really care about that.

:D You know what I'm going to say so I won't even bother saying it!

The wedge on these is around 52 degrees, cost me £40 delivered.

1583258758785.png

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As was said by Tuggles a good reasoned post

But

When I've been fitted for irons, and I've done a few, the fitting even at, say, Callaway is just the 7 iron with just a few different shafts - find the right head and shaft and order 3 to pitching wedge. What happens when the full set arrive and you cant hit the 5, 4 and 3 irons like the 7 iron went? I seem to recall that when Orka call you to collect your set up they test each and every club again until you're happy, and the numbers are right, so is, if I'm right about their service, isn't it a more comprehensive fitting than the big names?

Well I would suggest that is your fault for not discussing your strengths and weaknesses with the fitter when getting fit. Would a hybrid or two be better at the lower end of the bag and discuss the gapping.

If the fitter and you are in agreement on head and shaft and the gapping between clubs is correct and you still struggle with whatever iron I would suggest it's user error.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well if gapping is an issue for you and you struggle to hit your low lofted power bats I'd definitely look into orka, a 32 degree six iron will definitely be easier to hit all around than one with 26 degrees, you will also no longer need so many wedges so why wouldn't you look into it
I intend to when I can afford it, which might be later this year or next. (y)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
:D You know what I'm going to say so I won't even bother saying it!

The wedge on these is around 52 degrees, cost me £40 delivered.

View attachment 29292

Today, I went to the range with a modern 7 iron, 32 loft and a modern 8 iron, 36 loft.
Together with 6 iron MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield blade, and a similar 7 iron
( had the whole set regripped a week ago)

Compared on toptracer, for a laugh, and found the modern 8 same as Muirfield
7, and modern 7 to Muirfield 6

But do you know what, I enjoyed hitting the Muirfield best!

Food for thought

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I would suggest that is your fault for not discussing your strengths and weaknesses with the fitter when getting fit. Would a hybrid or two be better at the lower end of the bag and discuss the gapping.

If the fitter and you are in agreement on head and shaft and the gapping between clubs is correct and you still struggle with whatever iron I would suggest it's user error.

I dont think I said that I couldn't hit longer irons after a fitting, I queried what happens if someone couldn't hit them after only being fitted with a 7 iron! Most problems of golf are user error, as luck would have it I can quite happily hit through the bag

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks crow.

When you look at the results of a GM editor and the X flex worked best it really is starting to show Crossfield isn't as insane as some in the industry would like to paint!!!!

?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I had an X Flex Fujikura 64g , now I have an S flex UST Mamiya 76g (Because it's neon yellow)

A groove up or groove down influences the numbers way more than the shaft. I'm not a robot and I like the yellow.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can only speak from my own experiences, but the independent fitters I have been to have tested all of the loft and lies on the manufacturer's club heads once ordered, and have adjusted them if they are not as expected, or if we have specifically decided to strengthen / weaken the loft on any particular club. Then we have conducted a gap test to ensure I'm happy with the product. So in that sense I don't think it's fair to insinuate that only one brand / path would result in the desired gapping in your set. It's just my opinion that this is a fairly standard process, and that one brand is not the home of the built to measure club.
No where do ‘we’ Orka suggest we are the one brand. Plenty of other smaller brands do, but the model you’re suggesting relies on a 3rd party - the independent fitter to test your clubs.

Should be have to do that? No. You don’t get someone in clothes shop to make sure your shirt is the correct ‘medium’ before they put it on the rack

GolfRaver

Visit site
No where do ‘we’ Orka suggest we are the one brand. Plenty of other smaller brands do, but the model you’re suggesting relies on a 3rd party - the independent fitter to test your clubs.

Should be have to do that? No. You don’t get someone in clothes shop to make sure your shirt is the correct ‘medium’ before they put it on the rack

Hi. Sorry I didn’t quite understand this post.

My query was whether suggesting custom build is a key brand differentiator (in videos I’ve seen) was valid. And whether implying that Orka club specs are likely to be more accurate or better gapped than some other brands was valid.

All I was really saying was that these two aspects are pushed in videos I’ve seen, but from my experiences I’ve got the accurate gapped and built model elsewhere, so it’s nothing unique.

I’m sure there’s a good market for Orka clubs, as there is for a lot of brands. I just don’t get why the build aspect is raised so often in videos as it’s fairly standard practice. Or have I misunderstood something, and the Orka experience does have a unique side to it?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Sadly clickbait is an easy/lazy way to get hits on a video. A lot of the top golf vloggers do it (Shiels is a major culprit) and it is something I try and shy away from when I my own youtube vidoes. I'd rather people click because they want to rather than on a pre-cursor or clickbait title. I have no ambitions to be a big youtuber in terms of subscribers/views but enjoy doing some videos and it has managed to open some doors as a result

What's your channel?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
........but he seems to say them in an inflammatory way on purpose, this could have easily been said in a better way......
(y)(y)

This extract from your post describes a dozen people on this forum (& probably just as many people we all know in real life too)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to just jump in here.
I watch his reviews occasionally and I watch other people’s reviews of the same items.
The common message is .. everything is very similar they will do very similar .. with respect to drivers.
Irons are more about quality of strike and that consistency. Most are highlighting jacked lofts to explain yardage gains .. most interesting comment I have heard is “I look at the decent angle, less than 45 degrees with a 7 iron and I will struggle to stop the ball” . But mainly iron selection is about what pleases the eye.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View from the Buzzman, he speaks sense.

(I've had respect for Buzza ever since he produced the Old School Challenge Vlogs with Rich Woods, look them up vintage golf fans)

Buzza says it straight and it’s about the combination.
You can go through a multitude of shafts with a head but you won’t necessarily find the combination. They work together, a good fitter recognises that and then seeks to fit in that way.
But ultimately a swing fault cannot be hidden by equipment.. so lessons and practice will be generate the best fit and stock stuff will work well enough.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most fitting is done with one iron, normally a six iron in my experience. By the time the fitting cart has a standard head, plus 1 up, plus 2, plus 3, minus 1, minus 2, and minus 3, in 4 different head designs, plus 10 or so different shafts, each in standard, plus 1/4, plus 1/2, minus 1/4, minus 1/2, in reg, stiff, and x, that is a fair old fitting kit.

Do this for several manufacturers, and the kits multiply.

Do this for every iron, 3 to pw, and that is a heck of a lot of space, money, all with no value to the fitter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most fitting is done with one iron, normally a six iron in my experience. By the time the fitting cart has a standard head, plus 1 up, plus 2, plus 3, minus 1, minus 2, and minus 3, in 4 different head designs, plus 10 or so different shafts, each in standard, plus 1/4, plus 1/2, minus 1/4, minus 1/2, in reg, stiff, and x, that is a fair old fitting kit.

Do this for several manufacturers, and the kits multiply.

Do this for every iron, 3 to pw, and that is a heck of a lot of space, money, all with no value to the fitter.
That's fair enough. But from the golfer's perspective, once you've selected your head/shaft combo etc, and they ask you which irons you want in your set, what do you have to go on? Just guesswork?

albie999

Visit site
That's fair enough. But from the golfer's perspective, once you've selected your head/shaft combo etc, and they ask you which irons you want in your set, what do you have to go on? Just guesswork?
That's exactly what I always wonder. It was only really when I got on a launch monitor, that I realised that my 5 and 6 irons pretty much went same or close enough distance to my 7 .... So they been replaced with a hybrid, but in a fitting, how would I know that if only being fitted with a 7