Crossfield v Whoever

User20204

Visit site
What like when he does a compare with another driver, that driver out performs his yet he still manages to say you should buy a ts3. It really is there if you look for it

That's how you are reading in to it. He has said for years his numbers are 262, almost every driver he's tested, it's been 262, then he throws in the "but you should buy a Titleist" in a jokey manner, if you can't see through that or read in to that as being biased, then so be it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
That's how you are reading in to it. He has said for years his numbers are 262, almost every driver he's tested, it's been 262, then he throws in the "but you should buy a Titleist" in a jokey manner, if you can't see through that or read in to that as being biased, then so be it.
On this particular test he had quite a few with his driver going in the mid 250's and he had a number with other 265 268 etc it just outperformed it on that particular test, yet he found a reason to suggest that he would still buy the ts3. Even if it is a jokey way, is that really what an unbiased reviewer should do ? Would you watch a BMW salesman test drive an audi if you were interested in buying one ? Even if he says it's good blah blah but jokingly suggests you buy a BMW, it doesnt wash

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've not really seen it the way you do, he's just one of a number who I subscribe to. I find they all post a real mixed bag
I appreciate everyone is different and has a different point of view. I watched MC way back in 2010 up until about 4 months ago, I didn't watch many of his course blogs as I've always found his banter pretty hard to listen to. It's an opinion ive accumulated over time but I'd say over the last 2 years my opinion of him deteriorated for various reasons and I think many of these reasons are why his channel has very much stagnated in growth and people see him very much as a guy who yes is knowledgeable when it comes to golf but is unbearable to a point where hes not worth the hassle of watching

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good honest review with data that everybody can see and make their own judgements from.
The numbers were very similar but, as MC said, the numbers were his numbers and, for him, as there was virtually no performance differences, the Z-Star wins purely on price.
A good review methinks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A good honest review with data that everybody can see and make their own judgements from.
The numbers were very similar but, as MC said, the numbers were his numbers and, for him, as there was virtually no performance differences, the Z-Star wins purely on price.
A good review methinks.
Kind of agree but it's also a bit of a wasted review as, surely, the majority of people know that all the premium tour balls perform within a gnat's of each other anyway..dont they?
A better one would be to show the differences between the standard balls and the "x" versions.
And with some of the munters he hit, using data from 3 or 4 shots with each ball doesn't really tell you much.
I, for 1, felt like I knew what the findings would be before I even clicked - and I wasnt wrong.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Kind of agree but it's also a bit of a wasted review as, surely, the majority of people know that all the premium tour balls perform within a gnat's of each other anyway..dont they?
A better one would be to show the differences between the standard balls and the "x" versions.
And with some of the munters he hit, using data from 3 or 4 shots with each ball doesn't really tell you much.
I, for 1, felt like I knew what the findings would be before I even clicked - and I wasnt wrong.
Not much difference in anything these days. Hence the need for twist face etc.....

GolfRaver

Visit site
Lots of comments on here about Orka fitters vs independent fitters.
My understanding is that other than Alex, all their fitters are independents who invariably also fit other brands. So not sure that they fit one way for Orka and use a different approach for other makes.....or do they?

I guess this is a more succinct way of putting what I was querying. If other independent fitters offer club fitting and building (and gap testing), is there anything different about the Orka business model?

The videos I have seen strongly suggest that what they do is unique, but purely based on my own experiences being fitted elsewhere, not only is the service not unique as described, but it's also limited, in that you're trying one brand vs a range of brands at an independent fitter.

It would be good to have an Orka vs other brands comparison in a fitting / build environment, which I'm guessing you'd get from an independent fitter who stocks Orka among a range of brands. That way you have tried a number of clubs and you know the Orka one performs best against competitors (rather than against your current set).

Do any main or feeder tour players play Orka? I know at the top a lot of players have club contracts (I think they are more watertight than Liam's), but would be interesting if any independent or development tour players use Orka clubs.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is a very reasonable point in that if you get a good, experienced club fitter and club builder then I am sure they can match the Orka experience with any brand's head. The comparative is that people (and do not forget most people on here are seen as the more knowledgeable end of the golf market) are having clubs fitted that are then not being built to the spec they need due to overly wide tolerances

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've often wondered about that too... how custom fitting seems to be exclusively done with the 7 iron and then at the end they ask you what clubs you want in the set. Well, I currently can't hit a 6 iron let alone a 5 or a 4 so I'd have to try all of them to decide. Also if they offered a GW I'd probably want to compare that against my current GW before adding another 100 quid to my irons bill.

GolfRaver

Visit site
I think this is a very reasonable point in that if you get a good, experienced club fitter and club builder then I am sure they can match the Orka experience with any brand's head. The comparative is that people (and do not forget most people on here are seen as the more knowledgeable end of the golf market) are having clubs fitted that are then not being built to the spec they need due to overly wide tolerances

I can only speak from my own experiences, but the independent fitters I have been to have tested all of the loft and lies on the manufacturer's club heads once ordered, and have adjusted them if they are not as expected, or if we have specifically decided to strengthen / weaken the loft on any particular club. Then we have conducted a gap test to ensure I'm happy with the product. So in that sense I don't think it's fair to insinuate that only one brand / path would result in the desired gapping in your set. It's just my opinion that this is a fairly standard process, and that one brand is not the home of the built to measure club.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Part of Alex's philosophy is using traditional lofts, so his 7 iron is 36 degrees, lot of players category irons now have 32 or 33 degrees of loft, and lots of forgiving irons have 28/29 degrees, so all things being equal you are going to lose distance. on the other hand you can say the orka strategy is more sensible as you will have better gapping all the way up to your first gap wedge. I think it's more sensible to have a 48 degree pitching wedge than to be down at say 45. Alex also builds his clubs to a 0.3 of a swingweight point tolerance which is extremely tight. major brands generally have a point tolerance meaning one can be a D1 swingweight and another could be D3. He also offers free loft and lie alterations for as long as you have the irons, it is not unheard of for major brands to have irons come out with lofts and lies all over the place. I think if your looking at his service it is outshining major brands and also other independent club fitters by a distance. On the whole I'd rather have a set properly built and gapped all the way through. I think Orka are well worth looking at for anybody

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Part of Alex's philosophy is using traditional lofts, so his 7 iron is 36 degrees, lot of players category irons now have 32 or 33 degrees of loft, and lots of forgiving irons have 28/29 degrees, so all things being equal you are going to lose distance. on the other hand you can say the orka strategy is more sensible as you will have better gapping all the way up to your first gap wedge. I think it's more sensible to have a 48 degree pitching wedge than to be down at say 45. Alex also builds his clubs to a 0.3 of a swingweight point tolerance which is extremely tight. major brands generally have a point tolerance meaning one can be a D1 swingweight and another could be D3. He also offers free loft and lie alterations for as long as you have the irons, it is not unheard of for major brands to have irons come out with lofts and lies all over the place. I think if your looking at his service it is outshining major brands and also other independent club fitters by a distance. On the whole I'd rather have a set properly built and gapped all the way through. I think Orka are well worth looking at for anybody
Funnily enough, while most people are obsessed with distance, losing distance actually appeals to me in a way. I currently can't hit my 6 iron, which is 26°, and with my PW being 44° (and seems to play even stronger than that in relation to my Cleveland wedges), I've had to put in a 46° to plug the gap to the 50°. So with the Orka irons being in traditional lofts I feel like my bag set-up would look less ridiculous, as it currently features three irons and five wedges if you only consider what's written on them. :LOL: Basically I think the gapping would be more preferable, and even if I had to hit 7 where I used to hit 8, I don't really care about that.