Crossfield v Whoever

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
i had a similar experience with a orka fitter. he told me my swing weights and lofts were all off. I even watched him measure them. i decided not to use him as he was a cock to a junior golfer. when i went elsewhere the club builder told me my clubs where spot on. Well, apart from my p wedge that was 1 degree too strong. everytime I speak to someone that went to him they all said how he bashes the way mainstream clubs are made and why you should buy his
I'm confused by this post?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Crossfield is a tosser, he doesnt know how to bite his tongue and its cost him big. his channel was once the biggest on YouTube but has been in stagnation for about 3 years. Dan Hendrickson stopped working with him, started his own channel about a month ago and now gets a similar number of views as crossfield. I wonder just how many of his subscribers actually still watch his tripe, I'll say less than a third

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Crossfield is a tosser, he doesnt know how to bite his tongue and its cost him big. his channel was once the biggest on YouTube but has been in stagnation for about 3 years. Dan Hendrickson stopped working with him, started his own channel about a month ago and now gets a similar number of views as crossfield. I wonder just how many of his subscribers actually still watch his tripe, I'll say less than a third

I think he's definitely burnt a lot of bridges (TM etc) and he has definitely stagnated but does still produce some very good content amongst some dross and it does get irksome weeding through his "views" (and of course their in only one view worth listening too) and seeing a broader picture. I understood (and stand to be corrected) that the Hendrikson split was actually amicable and Dan use to have a channel anyway and thought it was the time to go back, having got some excellent exposure via Crossfield and resurrect that and stand on his own feet. Seems to have worked well

User20204

Visit site

He also talks highly of you

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I think he's definitely burnt a lot of bridges (TM etc) and he has definitely stagnated but does still produce some very good content amongst some dross and it does get irksome weeding through his "views" (and of course their in only one view worth listening too) and seeing a broader picture. I understood (and stand to be corrected) that the Hendrikson split was actually amicable and Dan use to have a channel anyway and thought it was the time to go back, having got some excellent exposure via Crossfield and resurrect that and stand on his own feet. Seems to have worked well

He has went full on click bait with his video titles I know why he’s done it but it’s very annoying

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
That's the name of the game on YouTube these days. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but pretty much everyone does it.

I thought the Taylormade stuff from him was absurdly arrogant. They weren't going to send him free stuff and so he slagged them off. It's really up to them as to whether or not they send reviewers free gear - the sense of entitlement from him was embarrassing for a bloke who is probably in his forties.

The problem with success is that it can go to your head, and I think that is what has happened here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He has went full on click bait with his video titles I know why he’s done it but it’s very annoying

Sadly clickbait is an easy/lazy way to get hits on a video. A lot of the top golf vloggers do it (Shiels is a major culprit) and it is something I try and shy away from when I my own youtube vidoes. I'd rather people click because they want to rather than on a pre-cursor or clickbait title. I have no ambitions to be a big youtuber in terms of subscribers/views but enjoy doing some videos and it has managed to open some doors as a result

Springveldt

Visit site
He has to really. He has 300K subscribers but his latest vids are probably averaging under 40K views. Those are tiny numbers for YouTube these days. Look at the number of views Shiels gets on his videos (and he's the king of clickbait). Actually, Shiels views seem absurdly high.

I can't see all the large sponsorship deals lasting if his viewing numbers stay as is, he's barely getting more views than guys with less than 80K subscribers. Crossfield is getting about 12% of his subscribers watching his content while Shiels is getting over 40%.

GolfRaver

Visit site
I saw the fitting with Liam and the big sell appeared to be how the big brands crank lofts and 'fit' rather than 'build'. But then Liam’s Ronseal replacement had the loft cranked and was longer than Ronseal.

Also the clubs sent to him were not entirely built to his spec yet, I understand time may have been a factor here though so I expect this would be finalised once Liam is back from Portugal.

Lastly Alex did seem to be very sure of things, such as why his brand is the best (no issue there, as others have said anyone would take this stance in his position if they have put the years in to build something they believe in). He also made a few comments that could be taken the wrong way or come across as a little arrogant. But really, everyone is different, so there’s nothing we can really say here without knowing the man and his intensions. I’m sure we all come across in a way that some people don’t agree with.

But what does get me is the big sell on custom build and the negativity around big brands and big brand pricing.

There are many custom fitters / builders around. And many of them offer several brands. So you can go to them and try new and old Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Srixon clubs etc etc. In addition they will try numerous shafts and grips etc. and will look at loft, lie everything during the session. So you get the same service, but with a larger choice of clubs.

I myself have taken this route in the past, and many of the brands I expected to work for me didn’t, so it was good to get a wide choice and finally find the clubs for me. The lofts, lie, grips, shaft and length etc. were then tailored in house by that fitter (not the manufacturer), in the same way that you would get this with Orka. So you can be confident (as good as the fitter is true to their word which would be the same with any fitter Orka or otherwise) that the gapping and specs are as required for you. And gap tests are offered to back this up.

So this is where I’m not too sure why the one brand build experience is gaining so much traction. You can get the same experience with a far wider choice at any number of good, experienced, knowledgable fitters.

And the price won’t be far different from Orka based on the prices quoted to Liam.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with Alex or Orka (I’m sure both will suit some golfers), but I’m just not seeing that the service they offer is unique, significantly better priced, or gives a wide enough choice to be confident in what is ultimately a big decision for most to invest in a new set of clubs.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw the fitting with Liam and the big sell appeared to be how the big brands crank lofts and 'fit' rather than 'build'. But then Liam’s Ronseal replacement had the loft cranked and was longer than Ronseal.

Also the clubs sent to him were not entirely built to his spec yet, I understand time may have been a factor here though so I expect this would be finalised once Liam is back from Portugal.

Lastly Alex did seem to be very sure of things, such as why his brand is the best (no issue there, as others have said anyone would take this stance in his position if they have put the years in to build something they believe in). He also made a few comments that could be taken the wrong way or come across as a little arrogant. But really, everyone is different, so there’s nothing we can really say here without knowing the man and his intensions. I’m sure we all come across in a way that some people don’t agree with.

But what does get me is the big sell on custom build and the negativity around big brands and big brand pricing.

There are many custom fitters / builders around. And many of them offer several brands. So you can go to them and try new and old Titleist, Callaway, Ping, Srixon clubs etc etc. In addition they will try numerous shafts and grips etc. and will look at loft, lie everything during the session. So you get the same service, but with a larger choice of clubs.

I myself have taken this route in the past, and many of the brands I expected to work for me didn’t, so it was good to get a wide choice and finally find the clubs for me. The lofts, lie, grips, shaft and length etc. were then tailored in house by that fitter (not the manufacturer), in the same way that you would get this with Orka. So you can be confident (as good as the fitter is true to their word which would be the same with any fitter Orka or otherwise) that the gapping and specs are as required for you. And gap tests are offered to back this up.

So this is where I’m not too sure why the one brand build experience is gaining so much traction. You can get the same experience with a far wider choice at any number of good, experienced, knowledgable fitters.

And the price won’t be far different from Orka based on the prices quoted to Liam.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with Alex or Orka (I’m sure both will suit some golfers), but I’m just not seeing that the service they offer is unique, significantly better priced, or gives a wide enough choice to be confident in what is ultimately a big decision for most to invest in a new set of clubs.

Good, reasoned post that mate.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
He has to really. He has 300K subscribers but his latest vids are probably averaging under 40K views. Those are tiny numbers for YouTube these days. Look at the number of views Shiels gets on his videos (and he's the king of clickbait). Actually, Shiels views seem absurdly high.

I can't see all the large sponsorship deals lasting if his viewing numbers stay as is, he's barely getting more views than guys with less than 80K subscribers. Crossfield is getting about 12% of his subscribers watching his content while Shiels is getting over 40%.

Which 80k subscriber channel is that?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

As was said by Tuggles a good reasoned post

But

When I've been fitted for irons, and I've done a few, the fitting even at, say, Callaway is just the 7 iron with just a few different shafts - find the right head and shaft and order 3 to pitching wedge. What happens when the full set arrive and you cant hit the 5, 4 and 3 irons like the 7 iron went? I seem to recall that when Orka call you to collect your set up they test each and every club again until you're happy, and the numbers are right, so is, if I'm right about their service, isn't it a more comprehensive fitting than the big names?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

But

When I've been fitted for irons, and I've done a few, the fitting even at, say, Callaway is just the 7 iron with just a few different shafts - find the right head and shaft and order 3 to pitching wedge. What happens when the full set arrive and you cant hit the 5, 4 and 3 irons like the 7 iron went? I seem to recall that when Orka call you to collect your set up they test each and every club again until you're happy, and the numbers are right, so is, if I'm right about their service, isn't it a more comprehensive fitting than the big names?

When are you going then ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

But

Up to a point I'd agree. I'd add in that when I had a Ping fitting at Pachesham (before it became an glorified AG) which was an approved fitting centre, I had my fit, got my clubs and then when back to the fitter and hit balls on the monitor to check the numbers. He also checked the lofts and lies as well. Some will offer it and others won't. Like lessons, sometimes you have to do your homework and find a good fitter locally or head to their main fitting centres (Chessington for Callaway, Gainsborough for Ping etc)

GolfRaver

Visit site

But

I’m talking independent fitter v Orka. So both fit / build from a 7 iron. Then both offer gap testing after to ensure the full set is as desired. From what I can tell the main difference is that at Orka you only get to try Orka clubs, but at an independent fitter you get to try as many brands as they stock. And the remainder of the service should be the same.
I’m sure Orka clubs will be good for some, I’m just saying that you’re likely to get a wider range to choose from at an independent fitter / builder. And so the bit I don’t get about the videos is that it makes it seem like Orka are the only place to get a full build, when actually it’s quite a common practice, so not a USP for me.
I think there are a lot of knowledgable professional people out there to help you buy the right clubs. That said good luck to all buyers and sellers.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Golf Sidekick
No Laying Up
Erik Anders Lang

I'm sure there are more if I went looking for them. His viewing numbers are very low compared to the number of subscribers based on the channels I watch.
NLU 540k views last 30 days
Erik anders lang 437k views last 30 days
Golf sidekick 652k views last 30 days.
Crossfield 2.43 million views last 30 days....

I agree he loves the sound of his own voice and thinks his opinion is the only correct one. But he is popular and does post some good stuff from time to time.