Crossfield v Whoever

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
356K views within 23 hours.

I can kind of see Crossfield's point, he puts out a good, informative video about width of stance with weight shift data etc on a pretty scientific piece of kit that could possibly help your game and has 17K views. Shiels puts out hitting a 70° wedge and has 20 times the views.

Crossfield needs to be careful or he's going to (or already is) the old man yelling at clouds. It's obvious from the views what kind of content youtube golfers want just now.

I found that video a bit to technical, but that's his thing, backing up what he says with numbers.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
356K views within 23 hours.

I can kind of see Crossfield's point, he puts out a good, informative video about width of stance with weight shift data etc on a pretty scientific piece of kit that could possibly help your game and has 17K views. Shiels puts out hitting a 70° wedge and has 20 times the views.

Crossfield needs to be careful or he's going to (or already is) the old man yelling at clouds. It's obvious from the views what kind of content youtube golfers want just now.
Simple fact is likeable beats moany most of the time.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've stopped subscribing to all but a few of the golf youtubers. I still follow companies/PGA etc but I can't be bothered with the majority of Youtubers. There is a reason why they weren't on the telly before and all social media has done is brought more trite to the table.
Paige and about 95% of the Ladies is on Instagram and it's more about them wearing a bikini than playing golf (not saying it's not appealing!)
I think my biggest reason for ditching the YouTubers are:
  • Rick Sheils - Could you possibly be anymore crap at content production - 70º wedge or illegal driver videos and click bait - plus his manc accent grates on me .
  • Me&MyGolf - Scripted. All about signing up to the website (save your money and get lessons/clubs/anything else instead.)
  • Peter Finch - Nice bloke, decent swing - boring to the max and I'm not sure what he actually post videos about except what clubs he wants and how he won't get into the open.
  • Crossfield - Annoying. Did a good job about challenging traditional concepts - Cannot take criticism whatsoever and is childish about it.
  • Top Bloke - Would never get bored of kicking this bloke in the face.

I forget the rest they seem to blend into one collage of banality.

Rant over.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've stopped subscribing to all but a few of the golf youtubers. I still follow companies/PGA etc but I can't be bothered with the majority of Youtubers. There is a reason why they weren't on the telly before and all social media has done is brought more trite to the table.
Paige and about 95% of the Ladies is on Instagram and it's more about them wearing a bikini than playing golf (not saying it's not appealing!)
  • Rick Sheils - Could you possibly be anymore crap at content production - 70º wedge or illegal driver videos and click bait - plus his manc accent grates on me .
  • Me&MyGolf - Scripted. All about signing up to the website (save your money and get lessons/clubs/anything else instead.)
  • Peter Finch - Nice bloke, decent swing - boring to the max and I'm not sure what he actually post videos about except what clubs he wants and how he won't get into the open.
  • Crossfield - Annoying. Did a good job about challenging traditional concepts - Cannot take criticism whatsoever and is childish about it.

Rant over.

Check out 'golf sidekick' good entertainment value and few good tips to be hand on the way.

Agree with the above. To main stream to boring and a painful ten minute watch

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Crossfield should stick to the on course stuff - playing lessons for the viewers if you like and his product reviews which he at least backs up with some data. I think there is room in the market for him to create a nice niche doing just that and if he can mellow his tone and find a way to engage with the viewer better he could really make that corner of golfing youtube his own and probably increase subscribers and viewers

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site

Rant over.

Enjoyable rant, thank you!

Thoughts on James "not gonna lie" Robinson?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Robinson does too much. He has about 1 1/2 good videos a week in him but publishes a new one every day. I think he is spreading himself too thin.
I enjoyed him when he came into the scene around the youtube golf day last year, but I got off him during the lockdown. Probably means I am back watching his stuff in 6 months time ;-)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
James Robinson is another one who thinks like most vloggers (probably more so than most) that quick camera changes to a close up of his face for an aside then out again are clever and make the vlog snappy.
Nothing annoys me more and I quickly move on to something else.

Steve Johnston is another who insists on doing this which is a shame as otherwise I like his stuff but I can't watch to the end.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I make a point of not watching any video who's thumbnail has a dirty great red arrow pointing to the theme of the video that is so obviously placed in the picture that Stevie Wonder would see it....
Hence James Robinson Matt Fryer and GolfMates don't get much airtime from me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
James Robinson is another one who thinks like most vloggers (probably more so than most) that quick camera changes to a close up of his face for an aside then out again are clever and make the vlog snappy.

Steve Johnston is another who insists on doing this which is a shame as otherwise I like his stuff but I can't watch to the end.

Hahaha

Nailed. Gets old quick that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Rant over.

Top bloke I'd never get tired of reversing over his face. Waste of space. Shiels is now forced to use click bait to get the views to earn the cash. Finch I think has simply lost his way. Historically he has done some good content but now he seems unsure where to go or what to do and so "The Quest! is what he falls back to. I think he'll come back better. Me and My Golf are adidas/TM mouthpieces and won't do anything to upset their paymasters or take any risks. Very dull and repeated content. Crossfield I still think is relevant when he doesn't spit the dummy out. He produces some good content and backs it with data. When he goes off on one then unwatchable

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It’s the thumbnails that do me. It’s either him with his hand over his mouth acting shocked, or, erm it’s him with his hand over his mouth acting shocked. Found his vlogs very boring too.

I don’t mind Matt fryer for the odd instruction vid if I’ve got a spare 10 mins. He seems a nice enough chap.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My only issue with Rick Shiels is that he repeats the headline phrase/s so many times in such short vids, whether its the wedge or the starter set or whatever video i've seen

Maybe its how long filming takes he just doesn't realise or how he preempts the edit points, but he'll repeat "70 degree" or "£xxx" price so often until it just grates and its all you can hear

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't really watch a lot of the instruction videos tbh (there's so many). I mostly watch the fun reviews (as I want to see something fun sometimes) or the course vlogs that Shiels/Finch do, as I enjoy seeing courses that I haven't played or am unlikely to play. It's also refreshing to see how often PGA pros struggle with scoring/consistency, as it makes me realise that no matter how good you are (or how good you think a coaching professional should be), no one ever 'gets' this stupid, annoying but wonderful game.
Have felt a bit sorry for Finch on occasion watching his quest for the open videos, as he looks genuinely crushed on some of these - it just shows the gap between a coaching pro and a touring pro

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's not to make the vlog snappy, in-fact it's the opposite. Videos over 10 minutes gain more ad-revenue so Youtubers end up stretching out their content to make it last at least that amount of time. So when they're not really saying anything interesting or just filling time they make it look more "interesting" by constantly flicking between camera angles to keep your brain engaged. TV Production is much the same. If you watch any trash reality TV shows it's full of this. Listening to the Kardashian's talk for half an hour would be utterly mind-numbing, so to make the inane nonsense they talk seem interesting they add in a ton of camera angle changes, zooming in and out, switching to them talking straight to camera. The camera never stays still on anything long enough for you to realise there's nothing actually happening.

i*windows

Visit site
Just watch Alex Evan's "CHRONICLES OF A NOT YET CHAMPION GOLFER ", it's just a damn good golf channel, fun, informative and doesnt take itself seriously

Last edited: