CR and Slope - are some courses harder than others? And other course difficulty discussion

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Way too much over analysis and conjecture going on here!

The system is what is - rightly or wrongly! It's the same for everyone.

Turn up, see what the system tells you your handicap for the day is, hit the ball as few times as possible
to complete your round and put your score in the system. Simple.

Next time you play - rinse and repeat!!

This is what I'm asking, is it the same for everyone?

If a WHS territory use CR-PAR within its handicap calculations and a player from there plays an Open at an away course in a territory that doesn't use CR-PAR... what is the process used to ensure all players are playing off the correct Course Handicap?
(because the USGA/R&A Handicap Index to Course Handicap calculation sheets are 'wrong' in the above scenario)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
7-over par at my course off the whites and I've played to 5.3

2-over par at Painswick off the yellows and I've played to 5.5

7-over par at my course is a slightly better score than 2-over par at Painswick.

I find it harder to get a desirable score at Painswick than at my home course.

I refute any description of this as "over-thinking" or such like criticism.

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
This is what I'm asking, is it the same for everyone?

If a WHS territory use CR-PAR within its handicap calculations and a player from there plays an Open at an away course in a territory that doesn't use CR-PAR... what is the process used to ensure all players are playing off the correct Course Handicap?
(because the USGA/R&A Handicap Index to Course Handicap calculation sheets are 'wrong' in the above scenario)
Every territory uses CR-Par in the calculations of your actual handicap index, ie in the score differentials.

Some territories use it to give you your playing handicap for the day, and some don't. This doesn't matter, for two reasons:

1) Every competitor will be using CR-Par, or every competitor WON'T be using CR-Par. Everyone's handicap is affected by the same amount, because CR-Par is a constant for a given set of tees.
2) The calculations for the differential care not what your playing handicap was for the day, only gross score.

Now, there IS the nett double bogey limit that comes in, and I haven't given it enough thought as to how that might affect things, but I'd wager that either it a) affects everyone similarly or b) is negligible.

(I'm conscious that my use of italics, capitals etc could be coming across as frustrated or condescending and I don't mean that at all - I'm just trying to place emphasis where I would if I was speaking out loud :) )

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Every territory uses CR-Par in the calculations of your actual handicap index, ie in the score differentials.

Some territories use it to give you your playing handicap for the day, and some don't. This doesn't matter, for two reasons:

1) Every competitor will be using CR-Par, or every competitor WON'T be using CR-Par. Everyone's handicap is affected by the same amount, because CR-Par is a constant for a given set of tees.
2) The calculations for the differential care not what your playing handicap was for the day, only gross score.

Now, there IS the nett double bogey limit that comes in, and I haven't given it enough thought as to how that might affect things, but I'd wager that either it a) affects everyone similarly or b) is negligible.

(I'm conscious that my use of italics, capitals etc could be coming across as frustrated or condescending and I don't mean that at all - I'm just trying to place emphasis where I would if I was speaking out loud :) )

Go for it with the emphasis because I'm still missing something :unsure: ;)

Lets say you, me @Voyager EMH and @rulefan enter an Open at Painswick off the yellows which for this scenario is an away club for all 4 of us
Now I'll do you three a disservice and allocate you all a Handicap Index of between 14.6-15.6 (just to match me)

We all turn up at the proshop to check in and flash proof of our WHS membership number/HI etc
At first glance Painswick's published USGA/R&A Course Handicap calculation sheet would put us all off a Course Handicap of 14 for this comp, but...
Because my home club is in a territory that uses CR-Par, for the purposes of placing/results in this comp I alone shouldn't have a Course Handicap of 14, it should be 6

without this 'adjustment' I'll have a course handicap for the comp that is way too high and I fancy my chances of picking up a sleeve of balls
but there is no mention on any course handicap calculation sheet I have seen that mentions CR-Par

What is the rule/process (or system intervention) that a competition committee must follow for every comp with 'away' players to ensure everyone's HI is checked to make sure the integrity of the comp result is accurate and my placing in the comp is based on CH 6 and not 14 ?

(thanks for your patience) :giggle:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if "A course of standard difficulty has a Slope Rating of 113" (USGA quote) how should we describe a course with a slope rating of 135?
As relatively more difficult for a bogey player than a scratch player both playing on that course. Which is why the bogey player has their Course Handicap increased.
A course with a slope of 113 is relatively no more difficult for a bogey player than a scratch player both playing on that course. Which is why the bogey player has no increase to their Course Handicap.

But really Course Rating and Slope Rating should not be considered separately. One doesn't really make sense without the other.

The rating process involves two separate ratings. Scratch (ie Course) and Bogey. A bogey player is about HI 20.
All elements of the course are evaluated individually for both 'model' players. eg Scratch tee shot 250 yards, Bogey tee shot 200 yards.
The results of the maths produces two rating figures. Slope is a result of (BR - SR) x 5.381 (for men)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As relatively more difficult for a bogey player than a scratch player both playing on that course. Which is why the bogey player has their Course Handicap increased.
A course with a slope of 113 is relatively no more difficult for a bogey player than a scratch player both playing on that course. Which is why the bogey player has no increase to their Course Handicap.

But really Course Rating and Slope Rating should not be considered separately. One doesn't really make sense without the other.

The rating process involves two separate ratings. Scratch (ie Course) and Bogey. A bogey player is about HI 20.
All elements of the course are evaluated individually for both 'model' players. eg Scratch tee shot 250 yards, Bogey tee shot 200 yards.
The results of the maths produces two rating figures. Slope is a result of (BR - SR) x 5.381 (for men)

thanks, I now get that its fully intended to be course specific (& relative)

As a unintended consequence of the invention of slop rating for each individual course, would SR also be accurate enough for the layman to use a 'unofficial' general measure of difficulty between two or more courses i.e the higher the SR the more difficult the course

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

As a unintended consequence of the invention of slop rating for each individual course, would SR also be accurate enough for the layman to use a 'unofficial' general measure of difficulty between two or more courses i.e the higher the SR the more difficult the course
No, CR-par is a better quick reckoner.

sjw

Visit site

Lets say you, me @Voyager EMH and @rulefan enter an Open at Painswick off the yellows which for this scenario is an away club for all 4 of us
Now I'll do you three a disservice and allocate you all a Handicap Index of between 14.6-15.6 (just to match me)

We all turn up at the proshop to check in and flash proof of our WHS membership number/HI etc
At first glance Painswick's published USGA/R&A Course Handicap calculation sheet would put us all off a Course Handicap of 14 for this comp, but...
Because my home club is in a territory that uses CR-Par, for the purposes of placing/results in this comp I alone shouldn't have a Course Handicap of 14, it should be 6

without this 'adjustment' I'll have a course handicap for the comp that is way too high and I fancy my chances of picking up a sleeve of balls
but there is no mention on any course handicap calculation sheet I have seen that mentions CR-Par

What is the rule/process (or system intervention) that a competition committee must follow for every comp with 'away' players to ensure everyone's HI is checked to make sure the integrity of the comp result is accurate and my placing in the comp is based on CH 6 and not 14 ?

First of all, thank you for assuming that would be a disservice to me 😂 (I'm probably more like an 18 or 19 on a good day)

Let's assume that you are a member of two identical courses, right down to individual blades of grass, and one is in a CR-Par territory and one isn't. Because the courses are identical, they'll have identical ratings, and your HI will obviously carry between both.

Let's say that the course follows Painswick's yellow ratings of SR=105 and CR=63.9, par=72. We'll assume that your HI is a nice round 15.

Forgetting about par for a minute, if you shoot 85, you will get a differential of 113/105*(85-63.9) = 22.07, regardless of which version of the course you're playing, because the ratings are identical. Notice that your HI isn't included anywhere in that calculation.

Now, when you step on the tee of the CR-Par course, you'll be told that you have a course handicap of 15*105/113 + (63.9 - 72) = 5.8.

On the non-CR-Par course, you'll be told that you have a playing handicap of 15*105/113 = 13.9.

But we know these courses are identical, so this can't possibly cause a problem, or the sums wouldn't work!

What they are saying is as follows:

* The CR-Par course is saying that you have to score 5.8 over par, or 77.8, to score a differential of 15.
* The non-CR-Par course is saying that you have to score 13.9 over CR, or (funnily enough) 77.8, to score a differential of 15.

The CR-Par has just made things easier for you to relate to on the course - virtually everyone compares their score to par as they go round. Notice above that the calculation for differentials involves CR-Par regardless of whether the course includes it in your CH or not.

The point I am trying to make is that you (and I, and rulefan, and Voyager in your example) have a hadicap of ~15 because that is the average of the best 8 of our last 20 differentials, and it does not matter which course we scored them at. The calculation is the same regardless of what we're told our playing handicap is, because the playing handicap doesn't come into the calculations.

If tomorrow, your course decided that they weren't going to use CR-Par, would your course suddenly become 8 shots easier? No, you'd keep scoring the same gross scores and your handicap wouldn't change. You wouldn't expect to be allowed to shoot a further 8 shots over par and have your handicap not change.

I hope that has cleared things up some more? :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm not sure why there is a problem. As sjw says and as I understand it 1) Every competitor will be using CR-Par, or every competitor WON'T be using CR-Par.

(CR-Par) or otherwise is dependent on where the comp is not where the player resides.
Par plays no part in the differential calculation giving your HI.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjw

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
First of all, thank you for assuming that would be a disservice to me 😂 (I'm probably more like an 18 or 19 on a good day)

Let's assume that you are a member of two identical courses, right down to individual blades of grass, and one is in a CR-Par territory and one isn't. Because the courses are identical, they'll have identical ratings, and your HI will obviously carry between both.

Let's say that the course follows Painswick's yellow ratings of SR=105 and CR=63.9, par=72. We'll assume that your HI is a nice round 15.

Forgetting about par for a minute, if you shoot 85, you will get a differential of 113/105*(85-63.9) = 22.07, regardless of which version of the course you're playing, because the ratings are identical. Notice that your HI isn't included anywhere in that calculation.

Now, when you step on the tee of the CR-Par course, you'll be told that you have a course handicap of 15*105/113 + (63.9 - 72) = 5.8.

On the non-CR-Par course, you'll be told that you have a playing handicap of 15*105/113 = 13.9.

But we know these courses are identical, so this can't possibly cause a problem, or the sums wouldn't work!

* The CR-Par course is saying that you have to score 5.8 over par, or 77.8, to score a differential of 15.
* The non-CR-Par course is saying that you have to score 13.9 over CR, or (funnily enough) 77.8, to score a differential of 15.

The CR-Par has just made things easier for you to relate to on the course - virtually everyone compares their score to par as they go round. Notice above that the calculation for differentials involves CR-Par regardless of whether the course includes it in your CH or not.

The point I am trying to make is that you (and I, and rulefan, and Voyager in your example) have a hadicap of ~15 because that is the average of the best 8 of our last 20 differentials, and it does not matter which course we scored them at. The calculation is the same regardless of what we're told our playing handicap is, because the playing handicap doesn't come into the calculations.

If tomorrow, your course decided that they weren't going to use CR-Par, would your course suddenly become 8 shots easier? No, you'd keep scoring the same gross scores and your handicap wouldn't change. You wouldn't expect to be allowed to shoot a further 8 shots over par and have your handicap not change.

thanks, its actually starting to make sense (I've only read it twice so far so i'll keep at it)

I've never been in a comp on a course without CR-par to experience that there's 'no difference' so from the outside its always just looked very very weird to view it as part of a WHS

sjw

Visit site
thanks, its actually starting to make sense (I've only read it twice so far so i'll keep at it)

I've never been in a comp on a course without CR-par to experience that there's 'no difference' so from the outside its always just looked very very weird to view it as part of a WHS
If your course uses CR-Par, it means the playing handicap they give you is relative to, and to be added to, par. If they don't, the playing handicap they give you is to be added to CR. That is the only difference it makes, because all the calculations to give you the differentials are the same regardless.

Your index travels with you, as it's designed to. You used the example of you going to Painswick and getting 8 extra shots - by that same logic, no one from Painswick would ever come to your course, it would be impossible for them to score well! It should be clear to see (again, not trying to be patronising!) that this obviously can't be the case. I could tell you your playing handicap was 50 for the day if I wanted to - but as long as I'm doing the differential calculations correctly after the round, it makes no difference. You'll get the same HI out at the end. :)

For what it's worth, I am fully behind all courses using CR-Par because it makes no difference behind the scenes and yet makes the handicap act much more like people are expecting it to, i.e. be relative to par.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If your course uses CR-Par, it means the playing handicap they give you is relative to, and to be added to, par. If they don't, the playing handicap they give you is to be added to CR. That is the only difference it makes, because all the calculations to give you the differentials are the same regardless.

Your index travels with you, as it's designed to. You used the example of you going to Painswick and getting 8 extra shots - by that same logic, no one from Painswick would ever come to your course, it would be impossible for them to score well! It should be clear to see (again, not trying to be patronising!) that this obviously can't be the case. I could tell you your playing handicap was 50 for the day if I wanted to - but as long as I'm doing the differential calculations correctly after the round, it makes no difference. You'll get the same HI out at the end. :)

For what it's worth, I am fully behind all courses using CR-Par because it makes no difference behind the scenes and yet makes the handicap act much more like people are expecting it to, i.e. be relative to par.

kinda makes a bit more sense why the forums' had so many less than flattering 'comments' about WHS, when I'm usually thinking its working pretty OK (even if I did prefer the simplicity of the old system)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

No. It is best to start with the CR. That gives a better idea. As a generality, courses with a high CR very rarely have a low slope and vice versa.
But remember high cappers have much more variation in their playing characteristics than low cappers. Scratch players tend to be more consistent as individuals and as a cohort. eg Longer hitters, no problem with sand etc ... So scratch players all encounter or miss the same obstacles as they go round.
But bogey players are erratic (again as individuals or as a cohort). We all know of 28 cappers who hit 300+ yards but we and they know not where. Short hitters who can't reach the par 3s but are lethal pitching out of the rough on to the green. So the BR and consequently slope is not "one size fits all"
The short bogey will lose strokes by not getting up to the green in 'regulation'. The long bogey will keep losing the ball. Fortunately the Course Rating system is flexible enough to compensate upto a point.
Although I haven't really thought it through, a large +ve or -ve difference in (CR-Par) may give a clue.

sunshine

Visit site
Our course is the hardest I've played, before slope etc came in we had a massive advantage in team events in the region. Even now I think the rating (135 off the white tees) is way too weak in comparison to the other courses I have played.

The system is an improvement but far from perfect.

🎣 think you got a bite :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site

Are you also swango?