Point scoring and pointless circular discussions

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lol I remember it very well
I got one but haven’t got a clue who took it.
Wander if anyone remembers,would be nice if they still had it.
Great day that was.

Great game that day. You, RickG, Upsidedown, and me. Cracking banter and some tasty golf too.

Think Homer beat RickG, again. Great banter at various meets, telling Rick Homer had him in his back pocket.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great game that day. You, RickG, Upsidedown, and me. Cracking banter and some tasty golf too.

Think Homer beat RickG, again. Great banter at various meets, telling Rick Homer had him in his back pocket.

He was always tucked away and allowed out for forum meets. That said he's still so greatly missed and I am sure he'd have had his revenge by now

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I know the easy answer to the following is to unwatch chats I've joined, but I have to say this now.

I'm getting really saddened and disillusioned with some of the threads/posts on here these days.

It's like people have suddenly become unable to step away from a discussion when it's patently obvious that others will not share their view or even less likely change their opinion to match. While your view may well be correct, it equally could be your opinion, and opinions aren't always facts.

Can we maybe have even one day where a post asking for advice doesn't descend into constant back and forth argument and people trying to catch others out, or belittle others, or keep repeating the same thing in the hope they will change minds? You want to have an argument about the point, start a new thread rather than hijack the original one.

Please, just one day, to restore my faith in humanity.

Thanks, folks.
It’s always hard to know someone’s true context when you aren’t talking in person to them and some people don’t know how to soften the tone of their responses which, admittedly I’ve reacted on a handful of occasions. There are a couple I’ve come across on here who have clearly been priding themselves on telling people they’re wrong though.

There’s a huge difference in reaction to a post that’s starts with “you’re wrong!” Vs “I’m not sure that is correct” or threads that call out your opinion as lies without any counter evidence vs a well evidenced polite correction.

Unfortunately misunderstanding people is the nature of forums and if anyone in particular is getting you down, you have the option of clicking on their name and selecting ignore. It can be helpful in some cases.

Generally though I find most on here offer great friendly responses.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sympathy OP. You start a thread about how opening a post on one topic end up ends up as a back and forth on something else, and how people should start a new thread rather than hijack the original one...

And it ends up as a thread about forum meets and locations past...

You have a point.
At least it's drifted off amicably.

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s always hard to know someone’s true context when you aren’t talking in person to them and some people don’t know how to soften the tone of their responses which, admittedly I’ve reacted on a handful of occasions. There are a couple I’ve come across on here who have clearly been priding themselves on telling people they’re wrong though.

There’s a huge difference in reaction to a post that’s starts with “you’re wrong!” Vs “I’m not sure that is correct” or threads that call out your opinion as lies without any counter evidence vs a well evidenced polite correction.

Unfortunately misunderstanding people is the nature of forums and if anyone in particular is getting you down, you have the option of clicking on their name and selecting ignore. It can be helpful in some cases.

Generally though I find most on here offer great friendly responses.
Agreed. Personally, I'm the sort who likes to directly take an argument head on, by trying to make my point as clear as day (lots of words sometimes). Of course, I know this will sometimes wind some people up if they think the opposite, and I get frustrated when things appear to get "heated" because it is difficult for either party to really know the context in which something is being said. I try not to make any personal outbursts / insults, although I'm sure I've fallen into that territory, especially when I'm reacting to the way something was said towards me. 95% of the time, I've no doubt that if I was having the exact same debate with the same person face to face, it would be very amicable. Just the way we debate things with our mates.

I find that I will be having a very in depth debate with somebody on one thread (where I'm trying to pick apart their argument, and state mine, and they are doing vice versa). Yet, on a different thread, I find we are agreeing about something and maybe having a bit of banter. So, over the years I've been on this forum, probably only 1 or 2 that I struggle with, but the vast majority no issue at all. And, even the 1 or 2 I struggle with, if I had a round of golf with them, and had no idea it was them (no preconceptions) I probably wouldn't have any issues with them whatsoever. I've always been pretty tolerant with all types of people, even those with dodgy reputations at a club. Just because we disagree on many issues, doesn't mean we disagree on every issue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed. Personally, I'm the sort who likes to directly take an argument head on, by trying to make my point as clear as day (lots of words sometimes). Of course, I know this will sometimes wind some people up if they think the opposite, and I get frustrated when things appear to get "heated" because it is difficult for either party to really know the context in which something is being said. I try not to make any personal outbursts / insults, although I'm sure I've fallen into that territory, especially when I'm reacting to the way something was said towards me. 95% of the time, I've no doubt that if I was having the exact same debate with the same person face to face, it would be very amicable. Just the way we debate things with our mates.

I find that I will be having a very in depth debate with somebody on one thread (where I'm trying to pick apart their argument, and state mine, and they are doing vice versa). Yet, on a different thread, I find we are agreeing about something and maybe having a bit of banter. So, over the years I've been on this forum, probably only 1 or 2 that I struggle with, but the vast majority no issue at all. And, even the 1 or 2 I struggle with, if I had a round of golf with them, and had no idea it was them (no preconceptions) I probably wouldn't have any issues with them whatsoever. I've always been pretty tolerant with all types of people, even those with dodgy reputations at a club. Just because we disagree on many issues, doesn't mean we disagree on every issue.
I basically treat every discussion on here as banter. Nothing we say here matters - it's the same as shooting the breeze on the golf course with whoever you happen to be grouped with. Consequently I've never had the need to use the ignore function, in fact I find it rather silly. If you don't like what someone is saying, just laugh it off and move on with your life.

I've had full on debates with my mates in person or over WhatsApp, where if it was on here you'd be mistaken for thinking we were having a blazing row, but in actual fact it's meaningless and forgotten within 10 minutes of it ending.

sunshine

Visit site
I basically treat every discussion on here as banter. Nothing we say here matters - it's the same as shooting the breeze on the golf course with whoever you happen to be grouped with. Consequently I've never had the need to use the ignore function, in fact I find it rather silly. If you don't like what someone is saying, just laugh it off and move on with your life.

I've had full on debates with my mates in person or over WhatsApp, where if it was on here you'd be mistaken for thinking we were having a blazing row, but in actual fact it's meaningless and forgotten within 10 minutes of it ending.

Spot on. I don't see the point of the ignore button, it would be really boring if everyone had the same opinion. If someone is really on a wind up they soon find themselves on a break. We're just waffling about trivial golf topics, as soon as I close the forum tab I forget about it.

sunshine

Visit site
Bingo!
I was saying recently for me this place is like going to the pub, chatting about everything and nothing plus taking the P now and again. Sadly some people treat it far too seriously like their in a courtroom or something.

Objection overruled. The witness must answer the question.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Exactly. The problem is some people take themselves far too seriously, and confuse opinions with facts.

Swango1980

Visit site

I'm not so sure. Between us, I think we will be the ones that will solve the Ranking Points issue for LIV, we will determine a definitive definition of a "true football fan" and make VAR 100% fool proof, and we will solve the gender pay gap. It will only be us golfers who can sort these issues out once and for all. Who else can, tennis players, volleyball players!? No chance.

Beware of using the Ignore function. Somebody may wind you up by making certain responses to your posts. However, if you Ignore them, you will never see these responses, and therefore never have a chance to counter their post if it is trying to diminish the point you were making, unfairly in your mind.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly. The problem is some people take themselves far too seriously, and confuse opinions with facts.

Some also seem to think that there is some prize for winning an argument. Sadly the relentless approach of some posters has caused some true forum greats to lose their rag this has resulted in a permanent removal.

Swango1980

Visit site
Some also seem to think that there is some prize for winning an argument. Sadly the relentless approach of some posters has caused some true forum greats to lose their rag this has resulted in a permanent removal.
Is there not? :cry:

Who has been permanently been removed, out of interest? I know it looks like 4Lex seems to have been, the only one I am aware of. Although, I think that was Gareth Southgate's fault, rather than anyone in here :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Who has been permanently been removed, out of interest? I know it looks like 4Lex seems to have been, the only one I am aware of. Although, I think that was Gareth Southgate's fault, rather than anyone in here :)

I can name a few from over the years but really not sure it serves any purpose to drag it all up again.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think some people decided to remove themselves as they always seemed to be in some form of argument. Shame as they are genuinely nice people in real life but get too hot under the collar on here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think some people decided to remove themselves as they always seemed to be in some form of argument. Shame as they are genuinely nice people in real life but get too hot under the collar on here.

I think some, including me removed ourselves for our own well being mentally. I know having endured several very difficult years in my working environment it was doing me no good coming on here and a small number taking delight in nit-picking every post to the nth degree. Sadly seems some are still on here doing exactly the same across a host of threads but I decided for my own sanity I was/am better off simply reading offline for the majority of the time