Point scoring and pointless circular discussions

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I know the easy answer to the following is to unwatch chats I've joined, but I have to say this now.

I'm getting really saddened and disillusioned with some of the threads/posts on here these days.

It's like people have suddenly become unable to step away from a discussion when it's patently obvious that others will not share their view or even less likely change their opinion to match. While your view may well be correct, it equally could be your opinion, and opinions aren't always facts.

Can we maybe have even one day where a post asking for advice doesn't descend into constant back and forth argument and people trying to catch others out, or belittle others, or keep repeating the same thing in the hope they will change minds? You want to have an argument about the point, start a new thread rather than hijack the original one.

Please, just one day, to restore my faith in humanity.

Thanks, folks.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I am guilty of this but if I see something posted that I think or know is wrong, I will call it out as I don't want the OP to get wrong/bad advice.
And I get that, Bob, and that's a good thing to do. I'm just saddened at how quickly it escalates I to point scoring and back and forth rather than sticking with the advice the OP requested.
I saw your "I'm out" post and smiled. 👍🏻

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally love a debate but see how it can be misinterpreted as an argument at times - when context is lost as it's just words on a screen. With others it sometimes is just an argument of course. I think it's just a biproduct of idle minds and idle fingers for typing with. I'll often make three posts too many simply because I'm bored at work.

D

Deleted member 15344

Many top posters have left the forum over the last 12 months which is a shame

There also used to be lots of threads about meets and games for people but that’s now organised away from here because of the toxic nature - politics was a key driver of it all

Hopefully at some point those guys will come back

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree its a shame that the "Arrange a game" thread is significantly quieter than it used to be. One of the things I love about golf is getting out there, meeting new people and playing new courses.

Lots of people have left and new people have come in, but i think the atmosphere on here is a bit more toxic than it used to be. I wouldnt say I got involved in many arguments on here, but I dont tend to post as much as a did 2-3 years ago. I also think it is noticeable when certain people get an enforced holiday, threads calm down and the whole place is better.

I also think it is quite difficult as there are a lot of people who know each other from meets over the years, so it will be known to an extent the "tone" in which they are typing, but also a lot of people who havent met in person who only know an online persona.....and they can be very different to in person.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think you've just created another thread in which there'll be point scoring and circular discussion :)

I suspect this is just the nature of forums generally? In the real world, a debate has to come to an end at some point. In a forum, there is no end, and others can dip in and out to make their points months later, and just keep the debate going.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree its a shame that the "Arrange a game" thread is significantly quieter than it used to be. One of the things I love about golf is getting out there, meeting new people and playing new courses.

Lots of people have left and new people have come in, but i think the atmosphere on here is a bit more toxic than it used to be. I wouldnt say I got involved in many arguments on here, but I dont tend to post as much as a did 2-3 years ago. I also think it is noticeable when certain people get an enforced holiday, threads calm down and the whole place is better.

I also think it is quite difficult as there are a lot of people who know each other from meets over the years, so it will be known to an extent the "tone" in which they are typing, but also a lot of people who havent met in person who only know an online persona.....and they can be very different to in person.

the good thing with Bratty is that he is a knob in person as well :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
the good thing with Bratty is that he is a knob in person as well :LOL:
I'm not sure if this post will be beaten today, and I've never met @Bratty :LOL:

I think this is a bit like slow play. Everyone agrees it's a problem, no one will admit they are part of that problem. No doubt the main offenders, clear as mud, will agree wholeheartedly with the OP but then carry on endlessly bickering, always needing to have the last word...........No harm in throwing this out every so often though. Maybe it will persuade the odd person to reign in, if only for a week or two.

Albo

Visit site
I’ll put my hand up in a few recent threads to have been pushing a circular discussion/my opinion on things.
I don’t know if I’m one of the worst offenders, I certainly was in the Tiger Tampon thread towards the end.
So I for one will try and wind my neck in for the betterment of the forum.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that you just need to look at the focus of the forum. In the old days, if it was not posted on the golfing forum, the post just died. Now the golfing element is dying off and the non golfing section is where the majority of the posting happens. The focus on the forum has moved from the thing that united us all to the elements in life that divide us.

There are people that the forum would be better off without, maybe I am one or at least some may see me as that, but they will drift away and the next generation will come through soon enough.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem is we have too many amateur politicians, economists, trade experts, dieticians, personal trainers, mechanics, drivers (insert what you want). Appreciate there are some genuinely knowledgeable people on here as well.
The amateurs wade in heavy handed if they disagree with what you're saying, whereas the 'experts' generally guide you better. It's the reason I rarely post. I find the forum very good for info on all sorts of matters but as soon as someone disagrees I'm out because I just can't be bothered. A bit of self-awareness amongst some wouldn't go amiss.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I joined this Forum there were some fantastic people on here,I travelled miles to play their courses.
Unfortunately now not so much.
A lot of these have left and as Homer points out I’m sure it was for their sanity.
Golf monthly were involved a lot,now virtually never.
Unfortunately Golf as someone pointed out is not really the main driving force anymore.
I must say I’ve got some amazing friends off the forum that has made it worth while.
I don’t post much,look in daily,start hating threads purely because of the arguing and leave.
One thing people will definitely realise sooner or later is they are wasting their lives arguing for days and weeks on end.
Will end up going mad or leave.

RichA

Visit site
I think a lot of the time it is down to how we individually read the posts.
If I imagine a post being shouted in some kind of aggressive, adversarial debate then my reaction to it is very different than if I imagine the same words being spoken calmly by a friend over a cup of coffee or pint.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if this post will be beaten today, and I've never met @Bratty :LOL:

I think this is a bit like slow play. Everyone agrees it's a problem, no one will admit they are part of that problem. No doubt the main offenders, clear as mud, will agree wholeheartedly with the OP but then carry on endlessly bickering, always needing to have the last word...........No harm in throwing this out every so often though. Maybe it will persuade the odd person to reign in, if only for a week or two.

The problem is, and this is me in full on tinfoil hat mode again, the relentless arguers etc and the people that are the issue, drive traffic to the forum with the increased level of posts and interactions. That helps produce better figures for GM to monetise the forum and hence they will always be on here.

Sadly, and this may jiust be me, but I do now feel that this is all that the forum is to GM now. You look at the levels of interactivity and involvement that there used to be comparted to now, it actually felt like you were part of something, it felt like you were involved. Now it feels that we are just clicks to help increase ad revenue.