Point scoring and pointless circular discussions

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s the same on most forums.
There are people who have been on a forum years or who have been involved in the subject a long time.

Some of these people feel like their opinions carry more weight because of this.

Then there are the people who confuse opinions with facts and people who just like a wind up and you have fun and games.

Many people simply don’t want to debate and see any challenge of their opinion as argumentative. Which often ends in a mild flounce.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I agree with the OP.

I couldn't even share my opinion the other day that an app was good without being told I was wrong :ROFLMAO:

The Lounge is far less busy than it was a couple of years ago - and that's where I have developed knowledge of the game thanks to insights from forumers who have played years and years longer than I have.

#maketheforumgreatagain

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s the same on most forums.
There are people who have been on a forum years or who have been involved in the subject a long time.

Some of these people feel like their opinions carry more weight because of this.

Then there are the people who confuse opinions with facts and people who just like a wind up and you have fun and games.

Many people simply don’t want to debate and see any challenge of their opinion as argumentative. Which often ends in a mild flounce.
Many top posters have left the forum over the last 12 months which is a shame

There also used to be lots of threads about meets and games for people but that’s now organised away from here because of the toxic nature - politics was a key driver of it all

Hopefully at some point those guys will come back

I tend to agree with Phil that many long-established contributors have departed or, like me, no longer get involved as much as they used to.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

There also used to be lots of threads about meets and games for people but that’s now organised away from here because of the toxic nature - politics was a key driver of it all

To restore some faith in the forum, as OP requested, I can state that I had several enjoyable days last year thanks to "Arrange A Game"

Tonto hosted – me, Crow and Bigfoot.
I hosted– GG26, Bdill93 and Fullthrottle an AmAm at my course
Fullthrottle got me a game with his uncle in a betterball comp.
Bamberdele hosted me and Tonto
JamesBrown hosted me, GG26 and Tonto
Game at Painswick with IanM and Crow.

This included meeting all except Crow for the first time.

Looking forward to a few more this year.

But as for over-arguing - guilty as charged at times - so other people doing it doesn't bother me much. Sorry.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
To restore some faith in the forum, as OP requested, I can state that I had several enjoyable days last year thanks to "Arrange A Game"

Tonto hosted – me, Crow and Bigfoot.
I hosted– GG26, Bdill93 and Fullthrottle an AmAm at my course
Fullthrottle got me a game with his uncle in a betterball comp.
Bamberdele hosted me and Tonto
JamesBrown hosted me, GG26 and Tonto
Game at Painswick with IanM and Crow.

This included meeting all except Crow for the first time.

Looking forward to a few more this year.

But as for over-arguing - guilty as charged at times - so other people doing it doesn't bother me much. Sorry.

Didn't we play together twice? I must be very forgettable :ROFLMAO:

Edit - as it turns out, no, just the once! :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21258

Met some lovely people via this forum and other forums over the years, had many a pleasurable day out (not just golf).

The same people have always posted respectively on forums and in person, even if I do not agree with their opinions but that's fine I don't need to. Respect and show respect, agree to disagree etc, is how I try to post (probably not successfully all the time, so apologise duly:oops:).

Some looked miles different to what I imagined, not going to say in a good or bad way tho ! :D

Hope to see you again, wont mention names to embarrass them and thanks for your company/arranging of games/events and a few others I still haven't had the pleasure of having a round with ;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
At least he remembers you.
I had a round with @Voyager EMH and @Crow last year. Maybe meeting me didn't qualify as one of his "enjoyable days." 😢
Just shows how old and forgetful I am, don't read anything else into it. I had been working backwards in my diary and when I got to 6 games I stopped.
It was a very enjoyable day and I'm ready to repeat it anytime.
But here we go with another transgression of hijacking a thread - Argh!
At least I know I've only played with Bdill93 once, although he did put some doubt in my mind that I had committed another faux pas.
Hey Bdill93, I think you played with GG26 twice and me once last year. Unless I'm wrong - in which case I must apologise. There - that's better.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Just shows how old and forgetful I am, don't read anything else into it. I had been working backwards in my diary and when I got to 6 games I stopped.
It was a very enjoyable day and I'm ready to repeat it anytime.
But here we go with another transgression of hijacking a thread - Argh!
At least I know I've only played with Bdill93 once, although he did put some doubt in my mind that I had committed another faux pas.
Hey Bdill93, I think you played with GG26 twice and me once last year. Unless I'm wrong - in which case I must apologise. There - that's better.

You're right! We only had the pleasure once but I'm sure we will again!

SurreyGolfer

Visit site

This is so sad to hear. As a (relative) newcomer one of the main reasons I was drawn to this forum was to potentially meet some great people and play some great courses. Hope the activity picks up again soon.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
This is so sad to hear. As a (relative) newcomer one of the main reasons I was drawn to this forum was to potentially meet some great people and play some great courses. Hope the activity picks up again soon.
Any time you fancy a round at Westerham, let me know.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Same here, I joined my first club with a guy from this forum and had some great times 👌
I remember playing a round at Morecambe with someone from here some 10 years ago, who left a while back.
But I had his mobile number and we're now playing in an open at Silloth in July. Will be great to see him again!

D

Deleted member 31467

I've just scrolled back through the arrange a game section prior to when I joined this forum. Looks like some great days were set up. Courses mentioned include Saunton, Woodhall, Broadstone Bearwood Lakes, Hayling, Ganton, Conwy etc etc

Guess they don't happen anymore as it would just be constant bickering all day or those people have left the forum?