Point scoring and pointless circular discussions

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The H4H is a different event. It’s the main event of the year for a forum meet and it’s a great way to go to a great course for a good price plus every person that goes is also donating to a very worthy charity.

For normal meets people’s budgets have changed dramatically plus the deals for the courses we got have dried up for now. Gone are the days of £35 premier inn rooms as well.

I will also add that the hours I put in admin wise for the events was incredible and to say some thought I was a travel agent was an understatement. I only found a few people to be a complete pain and I wouldn’t have them on another trip that I organised again.

All in thought I always enjoyed the trips away and whatever the weather we had a great time and yes one day I will organise a small trip on some of the lesser known courses.

The trip to Islay, Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes & Dunaverty was simply the best golf trip I have ever done, feel free to emulate, there will be takers however small the event 👍

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AND... you've missed out Birchy's Ireland Meet in Glyn's MiniBus :eek::eek: https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/ireland-mega-meet-2015.70946/
Have had to have a lie down after running through the marvelous memories of consecutive days of 36 hole golf on top courses for reasonable green fees.
With Josh, Wes & Barnsley Dave moving on with their lives I have neither the companions nor the energy, anymore, not to mention reliable transport, for the long haul trips.
With such a divided & messed up nation we have now, it's not surprising that it has an impacted on here. There are just some things that you just can't "move on from"!!
GM meets have been replaced with well-run golf on good courses with the Local Union, County Union & EngGolf all of which are largely clear of the banditry of Club Opens.
Will always fondly remember those above meets & appreciate the guys who enabled them.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the price of that!

Mind you, the first reply was a moan!!:ROFLMAO: Deleted member, wondering who that was.
Haha.. that was Drive4show - Gordon, from Broadstone GC ...... info gathered from my database of members & their 'handles'. Those were the days indeed.

The Lion

Visit site
Brilliant thread. I too have noticed how few games get organised and I’m pretty sad about that as I only joined the forum shortly pre-Covid after lurking for a while, so was really hopeful of enjoying multiple days out with forummers, once the pandemic eased. Yet little has happened.

Hopefully things will change in the future, hopefully…

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of meets, arrange it and they will come. If everyone waits for someone else to arrange a get together then no wonder the numbers are reducing 🤷🏻‍♂️. No need to go big, just arrange something at your own club and see how it goes.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In terms of meets, arrange it and they will come. If everyone waits for someone else to arrange a get together then no wonder the numbers are reducing 🤷🏻‍♂️. No need to go big, just arrange something at your own club and see how it goes.
It is going on right now on the Midlands Link - Arrange a Game - thanks to @Crow

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is going on right now on the Midlands Link - Arrange a Game - thanks to @Crow
Absolutely. There are gatherings quite often. Perhaps, apart from H4H, not the big set pieces of past times, but still plenty happening.

Bound to be quieter right now, wrong time of year, but things are not as grim as some posts might suggest.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
AND... you've missed out Birchy's Ireland Meet in Glyn's MiniBus :eek::eek:https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/ireland-mega-meet-2015.70946/
Have had to have a lie down after running through the marvelous memories of consecutive days of 36 hole golf on top courses for reasonable green fees.
With Josh, Wes & Barnsley Dave moving on with their lives I have neither the companions nor the energy, anymore, not to mention reliable transport, for the long haul trips.
With such a divided & messed up nation we have now, it's not surprising that it has an impacted on here. There are just some things that you just can't "move on from"!!
GM meets have been replaced with well-run golf on good courses with the Local Union, County Union & EngGolf all of which are largely clear of the banditry of Club Opens.
Will always fondly remember those above meets & appreciate the guys who enabled them.

Yep, still recovering myself Dave.

Some of the best friendships Ive made are with Man U and Chelsea fans, cracking fellas I'd gladly share a fairway and a beer with, but there are too many keyboard warriors around now.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I'm 'out' or 'done' from a thread, it's not because I've lost the argument or I'm not open to discussing differences of opinion, it's because I've said all I've got to say and I'm not going to bang my head against a brick wall just to keep someone's argument going.
If I give my opinion and someone disagrees, fine, I'm only trying to help. But please don't state your opinion as fact because someone somewhere on the internet said so.
Not everything on the internet is true.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many top posters have left the forum over the last 12 months which is a shame

There also used to be lots of threads about meets and games for people but that’s now organised away from here because of the toxic nature - politics was a key driver of it all

Hopefully at some point those guys will come back

Dont count on it.

10 years ago on here you could pull a Scottish meet together with 40 heads in about 4 weeks, nowadays you'd be lucky to get a 4ball.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I joined this Forum there were some fantastic people on here,I travelled miles to play their courses.
Unfortunately now not so much.
A lot of these have left and as Homer points out I’m sure it was for their sanity.
Golf monthly were involved a lot,now virtually never.
Unfortunately Golf as someone pointed out is not really the main driving force anymore.
I must say I’ve got some amazing friends off the forum that has made it worth while.
I don’t post much,look in daily,start hating threads purely because of the arguing and leave.
One thing people will definitely realise sooner or later is they are wasting their lives arguing for days and weeks on end.
Will end up going mad or leave.

You were involved in my greatest claim to fame I'm sure, the day knocked Alan Hansen back for a photo with me at Hillside 🤣🤣

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You were involved in my greatest claim to fame I'm sure, the day knocked Alan Hansen back for a photo with me at Hillside 🤣🤣

Lol I remember it very well
I got one but haven’t got a clue who took it.
Wander if anyone remembers,would be nice if they still had it.
Great day that was.

Reactions: Val

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hillside was probably the most hungover I have been on a golf course. Stiill managed nearest the pin with a horribly thinned iron shot that had no right to be anywhere close.