Courtesies and looking after the course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Voyager EMH posted about raking bunkers after others in another thread sometimes when not playing with them.
Where do people think their responsibilities lie in picking up or repairing others mess on the course.

Do you rake bunkers , pick up broken tees, pick up litter, replace divots, or repair pitchmarks when caused by others?

I am a little varied in my habits I never really look in bunkers if I'm not in them so would not usually rake a bunker after someone else unless I was in it myself when I would rake previous prints other than those caused by me.
Other peoples litter is a bit varied if I am near a bin I will put it in but I wouldn't usually carry around unknown dirty detrius in search of a bin.
I will generally repair any pitchmark I see and usually replace divots if fresh but not old.
I pick up some broken tees but am not obsessional.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ll spend a bit of time repairing pitchmarks , filing divots on the fairways and tees

Broken tees we don’t appear to have too many as we have something on the tee markers to put them in

If i see a bunker that’s not been raked I’ll give it a quick rake

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a pet hate of mine, I'm often raking bunkers, placing rakes back into the correct place in the bunkers and repairing multiple pitch masks on ever green.

It's a matter of consideration for others which seems to be going out of fashion the amount of bunkers I see unraked and pitch marks left unrepaired

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There should be no need to go around the course putting right things done by others :mad:
There should probably be less need than there is, but regrettably there is a need. Occassionally I can see why a pitchmark is missed, they are not always obvious even when you look for them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I pick up any broken tees and will repair pitch marks that I see on greens.

I really don’t understand why people find it so hard to repair their pitch marks on greens.

Reactions: SyR

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pick up any broken tees and will repair pitch marks that I see on greens.

I really don’t understand why people find it so hard to repair their pitch marks on greens.
I noticed a lot more broken tees in the little pots today so either people are getting the idea, or you were a couple of groups in front:ROFLMAO:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I noticed a lot more broken tees in the little pots today so either people are getting the idea, or you were a couple of groups in front:ROFLMAO:

There’s been a big push on “rubbish” on the course as we had a Natural England inspection on Monday just gone, hopefully the trend continues.

I think I was in Next shopping when you were out playing this morning and left £1k lighter than when I went in

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played at a course yesterday where they have a members "adopt a green" scheme. If your surname begins with an A, for instance, then you pay extra attention to pitchmarks etc on the first green. Seemed to work as the greens were good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I rake bunkers; move rakes in bunkers to where they should be; carry sand/earth/seed mix to fill divot holes; repair pitch marks; pull buried and broken tees out of the ground and put them aside; and pick up litter and carry it back to the clubhouse…?. I will move carelessly discarded banana skins and orange peel out of sight using a club, but I cannot and will not pick up discarded cigarette stubs.

And I aim to do much the same at any course I play.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Many years ago I used to play at Woodlands Manor occasionally. In the locker room was a list of the holes with the letters of the alphabet alongside them; take the first letter of your surname, look up your hole and make sure all the pitchmarks were repaired & the bunkers were raked before you left it. I have to say it was better than most courses locally for a lack of pitchmarks.

I was taught when I started playing to always fix two pitchmarks; mine and some other lazy bugger's. I still do, but I seem to be in a minority. I'll also pick up rubbish. It's my course, I want it looking and playing its best.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Woodlands Manor perchance?
I thought Woodlands had closed/was closing. Could be wrong though.

It was Mid Kent GC near Gravesend. Nice course in good condition and relatively easy walking. Starts with a par 3 though. Not my favourite opening.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I thought Woodlands had closed/was closing. Could be wrong though.

It was Mid Kent GC near Gravesend. Nice course in good condition and relatively easy walking. Starts with a par 3 though. Not my favourite opening.

As I said it was many years ago; getting on for if not 30 years. A shame if it has, I quite liked the layout & the members were a really social bunch.

EDIT; closed January 2019. Shame.

Last edited: