Courtesies and looking after the course.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Always repair pitch marks I see on a green, regardless of where I’m playing.

At Leighton I’ll always put seed mix down on the tees where needed, rake other footprints in bunkers that I’m in, and put rakes back into bunkers for those that think it’s right to leave them outside. It really doesn’t take much time or effort.

I like to leave the course in the condition I’d expect to find it.

Im sure those that don’t do these small actions are the first to complain about a course condition when they arrive to play……

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I will replace large divots if I am passing them. I always look for pitch marks and repair them, especially in winter.
I have raked the odd bunker but one thing I feel the need to do all the time is to move rakes from the stupid places people leave them. This is despite a notice on every rake telling people where to place them.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I always try and repair as many pitch marks on the greens, doesn’t matter if it’s an away club or not. It really does shock me just how many people don't bother fixing there own.
To be fair it is probably the easiest thing to forget on a course but I’m the same. I always try to remember to go looking for two. Some however are right next to holes and it makes you wonder who hadn’t repaired it and how many ignored it.

I wish clubs, professionals and media made a much bigger thing of course etiquette.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
People who throw damaged or unwanted balls they find in lakes and bushes annoy me too. They need to treat them like other plastic waste and remove them from the course.
Agree with this. I throw the ones I won’t use onto the course for someone else.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I will replace large divots if I am passing them. I always look for pitch marks and repair them, especially in winter.
I have raked the odd bunker but one thing I feel the need to do all the time is to move rakes from the stupid places people leave them. This is despite a notice on every rake telling people where to place them.
Me likewise and it drives me nuts…to the extent that if I am playing a match or in other competition I’ll limit how often I do it as it can at times drive me to a level of distraction that can knacker my golf and ruin my day.

Other times when out myself I can find myself checking every bunker. It‘s frustrating, but I’m ok to do it as a courtesy to anyone following - especially if I know that there are visitors; a society, or a match coming along.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't rake a bunker I hadn't gone in. If I've gone in the bunker and it looks a mess I'll rake all of the worst parts rather than just the part where my ball and feet were.

If I walk past a large divot on the fairway I'll quickly replace it. If I'm on the green I'll repair a pitchmark if I see one even if I've not made one myself. I wouldn't say I pick up broken tees as there's way too many of them, it'd be a drop in the ocean unless I was stood doing it for ten minutes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't rake a bunker I hadn't gone in. If I've gone in the bunker and it looks a mess I'll rake all of the worst parts rather than just the part where my ball and feet were.

If I walk past a large divot on the fairway I'll quickly replace it. If I'm on the green I'll repair a pitchmark if I see one even if I've not made one myself. I wouldn't say I pick up broken tees as there's way too many of them, it'd be a drop in the ocean unless I was stood doing it for ten minutes.
Why not. If it takes 20seconds, say, why wouldn’t you do it as a courtesy to those following?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I literally don't even look the bunker if I'm not in it?? I didn't mean wouldn't out of principle, I meant wouldn't typically.
There’s the difference. As I tend to check bunkers as I walk past for stupidly left rakes I will notice if a bunker is left in a mess, and if it is I’ll spend a few moments giving it a quick tidy…especially if it’s a comp or I know that there are visitors, a society or a match coming along behind. I’m proud of my club and course - I want visitors to enjoy it to the full.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
There’s the difference. As I tend to check bunkers as I walk past for stupidly left rakes I will notice if a bunker is left in a mess, and if it is I’ll spend a few moments giving it a quick tidy…especially if it’s a comp or I know that there are visitors, a society or a match coming along behind. I’m proud of my club and course - I want visitors to enjoy it to the full.

Can you please walk past my front garden and pull up the weeds?

Albo

Visit site
I will take a bunker that I’m in if someone else hasn’t, but won’t go rake one I’m not in.
I don’t tend to pick up broken tees as we have no broken tee holders to put them in and I’m not carrying around everyone else’s broken tees all round, pickets would be full!
I will replace divots that I see providing they are fresh and it’s worth doing so.
I won’t pick up litter, though I don’t often see too much on my courses, I have no desire to carry around someone’s empty coke/beer can in my bag. On the courses I tend to play there aren’t bins on each tee which I imagine would help with what little litter there ever is.
Pitch marks though yes, always. I get wound up when I can’t find my own which happens, so I always ensure I remove 3 or 4 others to atone. There is one par 3 on my course which is short and always has a stupid nut of pitch marks, one day my playing partner and myself repaired 8 or 9 pitch marks each before getting fed up and playing on.