Couple of revelations from last night.

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last night my playing partner blobbed on me so I was left with the choice of going to course and playing by myself or wasting the sunshine, obviously I headed to the course.

As I was about to tee off 2 other older members turned so I offered my company to make a 3-ball. I cannot say anything about good things about these 2 guys, great company and even better than that great advice.

I am often guilty of try to hit the ball way to hard, it only took my playing partners 2 holes to work this out, and over my constructive advice...1) take a club more than I normally would swing easy, 2) Stop lifting my front foot, 3) Try to turn my shoulders around my back hip. Well I thought as 28 handicapper any advice is useful so I would give it a try, I found I hit the ball far straighter with my irons and in turn was hitting the greens to be putting for better scoring shots.

The second revelation of the night came from myself, the last 3 holes (which has tight fairways, and either out of bounds, water, or thick woods) of the front 9, I scored 7,9,8 these scores were down to nothing else but poor control with my driver then being unable to recover effectively. On the back 9 I decided that unless the fairway was wide open I would tee off with 5i (which I hit about 170yds) or my 3h which I hit about 200yds. Well I have never hit so many fairways or being in such positions so often, and I didnt really miss the extra yardages due to me clubbing up on my shots anyway.

In the end of I shot 53 (+18) on the front 9 and 41 (+6) on the back 9 for round of 24 over which after only break 100 last wednesday I am over the moon about.

The final tip one of the guys gave me was to play all the holes as if the par score is 5 which really helped with my mental approach.

Onwards and upwards now.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds good.

I always remember being told that good course management is the easiest way to lower scores. It doesn't require range time, lessons, new techique, or new gear. Just a bit of thought.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice to get a bit of solid advice, play with as many different folk as you can, whether they play poorly or well you'll always learn something about your own game from it

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Last night my playing partner blobbed on me so I was left with the choice of going to course and playing by myself or wasting the sunshine, obviously I headed to the course.

As I was about to tee off 2 other older members turned so I offered my company to make a 3-ball. I cannot say anything about good things about these 2 guys, great company and even better than that great advice.

I am often guilty of try to hit the ball way to hard, it only took my playing partners 2 holes to work this out, and over my constructive advice...1) take a club more than I normally would swing easy, 2) Stop lifting my front foot, 3) Try to turn my shoulders around my back hip. Well I thought as 28 handicapper any advice is useful so I would give it a try, I found I hit the ball far straighter with my irons and in turn was hitting the greens to be putting for better scoring shots.

The second revelation of the night came from myself, the last 3 holes (which has tight fairways, and either out of bounds, water, or thick woods) of the front 9, I scored 7,9,8 these scores were down to nothing else but poor control with my driver then being unable to recover effectively. On the back 9 I decided that unless the fairway was wide open I would tee off with 5i (which I hit about 170yds) or my 3h which I hit about 200yds. Well I have never hit so many fairways or being in such positions so often, and I didnt really miss the extra yardages due to me clubbing up on my shots anyway.

In the end of I shot 53 (+18) on the front 9 and 41 (+6) on the back 9 for round of 24 over which after only break 100 last wednesday I am over the moon about.

The final tip one of the guys gave me was to play all the holes as if the par score is 5 which really helped with my mental approach.

Onwards and upwards now.
If you shot plus 6 on the back nine you'll be breaking 90 easily very soon, sounds like you might have some natural talent their ;), good luck with your game.