Impact of carrying on the knees?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been known to be a range junkie in my time and never noticed a detrimental effect hitting balls and then playing. I'd suggest the softer, muddier conditions would take a greater toil along with the strain of carrying (who needs 20 balls?)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been known to be a range junkie in my time and never noticed a detrimental effect hitting balls and then playing. I'd suggest the softer, muddier conditions would take a greater toil along with the strain of carrying (who needs 20 balls?)
I know. It comes from finding them on the course, putting them the bag, and then forgetting to transfer them to the practice bag!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been having problems with both knees over the last few months. Played 9 holes yesterday, felt fine afterwards, but my left knee stiffened up as the night went on, and is worse this morning, painful to walk.

I went to the range on Friday, hit 120 balls and was totally fine afterwards. Went to the gym Monday morning, decent session, again, fine afterwards. Been giving some thought to what is different on the golf course. Our place is pretty flat, so it's not that. However, we have been carry only any time the course has been open over the winter.

I had assumed that the impact of carrying would mainly affect those with bad backs, but mine has been fine. Is it likely that it's the carrying which is knackering my knees?

I get little or no pain after a round in my knees these days. However if I carry more than 9 holes my body doesn't thank me. The extra weight on top of what I carry already it isn't a fan.

Springveldt

Visit site
With the ground being so saturated and muddy you might just be walking a bit funny and also putting different pressures on your body when you swing as you aren't sure of the under footing. Especially at our place if you aren't playing off a mat and move it to the side like I do, I'm sometimes tiptoeing through the mud to get a decent stance somewhere. I'm also aware of how much less grip I've got during my swing and usually end up keeping more weight on the left side.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With the ground being so saturated and muddy you might just be walking a bit funny and also putting different pressures on your body when you swing as you aren't sure of the under footing. Especially at our place if you aren't playing off a mat and move it to the side like I do, I'm sometimes tiptoeing through the mud to get a decent stance somewhere. I'm also aware of how much less grip I've got during my swing and usually end up keeping more weight on the left side.
I do the same. Don't really see the point in hitting it off a mat, so just chuck it to the side.

Spent the last hour looking for a decent lightweight pencil/carry bag with proper legs as don't want to be bending over to pick the bag up after every shot. Struggling to find anything decent for under a ton. Suggestions welcome!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many people are more than 8kg overweight. That is putting more strain on the knees than carrying a golf bag for a few hours.
Whilst that may be true carrying the bag is in addition to the 8kg rather than an alternative for these people.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only carry a max of half set if it's no trolley. The soft ground definately gives me greater knee pain after 13 holes, and lasts for about 4 days. Of course, 41 years of working on my knees doesn't help, but then walking around the streets causes no pain at all.

Skytot

Visit site
I wonder how many people are more than 8kg overweight. That is putting more strain on the knees than carrying a golf bag for a few hours.
I’m probably under weight , but 42 years being a joiner I have at the moment have a bad left knee , golfers elbow , and a tight back . Ibruprophen is my middle name ..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re the OP, I cannot see any benefit in carrying if your knees are giving you grief. No matter how much weight you can get rid of. We had this conversation with our secretary when the club was pushing for as many people as possible to carry. He said it’s obscene seeing that Many trolleys on the course ( though they never banned buggy’s). A few guys told him in no uncertain terms that backs and knees were knackered after years of work. They said they are not risking aggravating old injuries/ problems by carrying.
That aside at times when I carry it is like Bambi on ice with a golf bag on your back. I have slipped over a few times on my back and I would hate to do it if I have a bad back, knees, ankles or hips.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I’m probably under weight , but 42 years being a joiner I have at the moment have a bad left knee , golfers elbow , and a tight back . Ibruprophen is my middle name ..
An old joiner I knew from the pit had a knackered left knee and hip. He was right handed and said it was from decades of standing with his weight on his left side.☹️

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Re the OP, I cannot see any benefit in carrying if your knees are giving you grief. No matter how much weight you can get rid of.
I can see our place being carry only for a while yet. Its either carry, or stay at home being a miserable sod.

I've reduced the weight of the bag as much as I can. Knee feels better tonight than it did this morning. Am due to play tomorrow, will see how it goes. If its bad again, then it's either buy the lightest bag out there, or settle for being a miserable stay at home sod.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see our place being carry only for a while yet. Its either carry, or stay at home being a miserable sod.

I've reduced the weight of the bag as much as I can. Knee feels better tonight than it did this morning. Am due to play tomorrow, will see how it goes. If its bad again, then it's either buy the lightest bag out there, or settle for being a miserable stay at home sod.
I can see the need to scratch the golfing itch but maybe you need to look at the longer term view and if it is going to cause pain and the range doesn't maybe that is the better option, at least short term

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is a bit of physio an option? I get a few sessions a year via my work health cover. It could be as simple as a few exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles and it’s sorted.

Or failing that, consulting a PT when you’re at the gym?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Last two posts both touch on bits that are quite relevant. As Homer says it might be ok now ish, but down the rd. how will it be.
As Canary Yellow says physio or specific exercises may help, in the case of my 87 yr old dad 10-15 mins a day gentle exercise bike helps his knees and Dementia.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can see the need to scratch the golfing itch but maybe you need to look at the longer term view and if it is going to cause pain and the range doesn't maybe that is the better option, at least short term
I agree. I’m trying to get to the bottom of what the root cause is. if it's bad again after 9 holes today, I'll probably give it a miss until such times as we are allowed trolleys.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Last two posts both touch on bits that are quite relevant. As Homer says it might be ok now ish, but down the rd. how will it be.
As Canary Yellow says physio or specific exercises may help, in the case of my 87 yr old dad 10-15 mins a day gentle exercise bike helps his knees and Dementia.
I actually saw a physio a few months ago for problems with the other knee - not quite the same as it was cartilage damage. She gave me some exercises which helped then, so will dig them out.