Impact of carrying on the knees?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re the OP, I cannot see any benefit in carrying if your knees are giving you grief. No matter how much weight you can get rid of. We had this conversation with our secretary when the club was pushing for as many people as possible to carry. He said it’s obscene seeing that Many trolleys on the course ( though they never banned buggy’s). A few guys told him in no uncertain terms that backs and knees were knackered after years of work. They said they are not risking aggravating old injuries/ problems by carrying.
That aside at times when I carry it is like Bambi on ice with a golf bag on your back. I have slipped over a few times on my back and I would hate to do it if I have a bad back, knees, ankles or hips.
If the course is that bad that people are slipping, should it even be open?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see our place being carry only for a while yet. Its either carry, or stay at home being a miserable sod.

I've reduced the weight of the bag as much as I can. Knee feels better tonight than it did this morning. Am due to play tomorrow, will see how it goes. If its bad again, then it's either buy the lightest bag out there, or settle for being a miserable stay at home sod.
Have you tried getting a couple of knee support bandages from your local pharmacy? I have all manner of bandages for various football injuries so I can still get round the course. 😄

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I didn't mean to imply what kind - just any knee support you like the look of really.
I've got one of these. Used to use it for football many moons ago.

Put it on the sore/weak knee this morning for dog walking and then the 9 holes. That knee was fine, but after a few holes, I was noticing pain in the right knee :censored:

Guess I'll have to buy another one and have one on both knees.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the course is that bad that people are slipping, should it even be open?

With weather ever changing over time we either accept courses will be tougher in winter and we will play in conditions we would normally close them or we don't open courses often

Adaption and acceptable is needed

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With weather ever changing over time we either accept courses will be tougher in winter and we will play in conditions we would normally close them or we don't open courses often

Adaption and acceptable is needed
There is tough and there is the risk of injury. I agree golfers and golf clubs will need to adapt, probably at a financial cost to both

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is tough and there is the risk of injury. I agree golfers and golf clubs will need to adapt, probably at a financial cost to both
Life has a little risk. It was pretty slippy last year and at one point I went flying and injured my knee to the point that I could not walk and was unable to play golf for most of the winter. I'd hate to think they would close the course because it was slippy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your bag weighs 7/8 kg try to replicate this in a backpack .
Go for a walk with the backpack on.
If your knees are hurting after this you know it’s the extra weight.

But walking on very soft ground can have this effect.
I get it when mowing the football pitches.

Plus new bags now are miles better than old ones ergonomics etc.

Springveldt

Visit site
I do the same. Don't really see the point in hitting it off a mat, so just chuck it to the side.

Spent the last hour looking for a decent lightweight pencil/carry bag with proper legs as don't want to be bending over to pick the bag up after every shot. Struggling to find anything decent for under a ton. Suggestions welcome!
I bought this one a few years ago for £99, unfortunately it's now £149.

They do an ultra light version, no idea if it's any good or not though. Cheap as chips as well.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought this one a few years ago for £99, unfortunately it's now £149.

They do an ultra light version, no idea if it's any good or not though. Cheap as chips as well.

Thanks.

I bought one of these yesterday, just under 1.7kg, hopefully will do the job

oleinone

Visit site
There's a hell of a range of degrees of " sore knees". A few years ago I did a fair amount of mountain walking and at the end of the day my knees were sore Progressively, my left knee became arthritic and eventually bone on bone, it wasn't sore it was excruciating. The prospect of carrying a bag would have been laughable and no amount of bandages and supports would have helped. Incidentally 5[ 9" and 10st 9lb. I am a bit fed up with the strap it up and lose weight brigade!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There's a hell of a range of degrees of " sore knees". A few years ago I did a fair amount of mountain walking and at the end of the day my knees were sore Progressively, my left knee became arthritic and eventually bone on bone, it wasn't sore it was excruciating. The prospect of carrying a bag would have been laughable and no amount of bandages and supports would have helped. Incidentally 5[ 9" and 10st 9lb. I am a bit fed up with the strap it up and lose weight brigade!
What do you suggest then?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Painful, I had rather less but still pretty bad pain hill walking over new Year. Everyone is different but weight reduction is one of the things that have got a solid evidence base behind it in those who are overweight.

sunshine

Visit site
I've got one of these. Used to use it for football many moons ago.

Put it on the sore/weak knee this morning for dog walking and then the 9 holes. That knee was fine, but after a few holes, I was noticing pain in the right knee :censored:

Guess I'll have to buy another one and have one on both knees.

You'll be fine as long as you avoid Roy Keane out these