Cost of Annual Membership at your Club

How much is Annual Membership at your club?

• Total voters

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure it’s the same at my course though I’d never know as people can’t play off th whites!! There are a lot of older members who I think prefer the shorter yellows but I could be wrong.
I have no problem in some days making it a yellow course and others white or whatnot, what grinds is the white markers are always out yet you can’t use them! Just take them in any only put them out on comp days if you really want everyone to abide by them rules
I guess they have to be left out if you have knockout competitions, played off white tees. Matches could happen any time.

Our club removes the white tees over the winter period, as all comps are off yellows anyway (or reds for ladies)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We have forward tees on every hole during the winter, no qualifying comps or scores from the end of October until March/April. The tees therefore suffer no damage for 5/6 months.

Once the tees are back on we can play from any tee we want and as a group we play every round from the whites.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That very much depends, at my club I would say 90% of members play all their rounds off the whites, meaning generally the yellow tees suffer little wear compared to whites. You can move the markers regularly but you must bear in mind that the course needs to be kept within 100yds of that measured in order to stay qualifying. Better to me that some days members are restricted to the forward tee, as and when necessary to protect the we playing surfaces.
Tee wear is the main reason driving our next major projects, widening many of our tees. They are ‘long’ enough but that doesn’t help green keepers when looking to maintain length whilst managing wear. As it happens our forward tees are well used by many members, especially older seniors and rollups mostly seniors, as course plays a good bit tougher for shorter hitters off back tees (CR is 70 cf 72).

The 6.5% increase for next membership year will fund, in whole or in part, that project…there is no sign at all that the membership will be asked to stump up additional monies to fund the project.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess they have to be left out if you have knockout competitions, played off white tees. Matches could happen any time.

Our club removes the white tees over the winter period, as all comps are off yellows anyway (or reds for ladies)
Our knockouts are played from the plates that show the yardages set in the ground if there are no markers out.
we play off whites all year unless it’s very wet.
It’s not so much the playing surfaces but where the steps are that wear.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
why you going back to Chester mate

Few reasons really, at my current club…
The greens are terrible, it’s a bit of a slog at times, the comps are a bit of a joke too many cliques, the lads I generally play with don’t enter comps, the pro is a bit of a clown and has taken over the running of the club.
I live 5 minutes drive away but I only played in 3 comps last year ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tee wear is the main reason driving our next major projects, widening many of our tees. They are ‘long’ enough but that doesn’t help green keepers when looking to maintain length whilst managing wear. As it happens our forward tees are well used by many members, especially older seniors and rollups mostly seniors, as course plays a good bit tougher for shorter hitters off back tees (CR is 70 cf 72).

The 6.5% increase for next membership year will fund, in whole or in part, that project…there is no sign at all that the membership will be asked to stump up additional monies to fund the project.

So the 6.5% increase is nothing to do with the increased running costs of the club? Given the COL crisis I can only assume that the club has no concerns about losing members with increased subs?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So the 6.5% increase is nothing to do with the increased running costs of the club? Given the COL crisis I can only assume that the club has no concerns about losing members with increased subs?
It is, of course, directly linked to the COL crisis (it’s been 2-3% for years), but the 6.5% increase should be sufficient to enable the proposed course improvements to continue as planned. If we had not seen this increase then the project budget would otherwise obviously have been depleted. We are in a very competitive members club area and we must keep developing our course and overall offering.

And it may well be the case that the board’s judgement is that any loss of membership due to the increase will be filled from our waiting list. Truth is that since we were already paying £1800 and all potential new members would know they’d additionally be signing up to paying a joining fee of the same, the extra £115 subs is unlikely to be a deal breaker for most on the waiting list.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
i need to hear more about this 9 hole golf course that charges £900 a year ..........
I am guessing you think that is a lot for half a course, but why should it be? Members and visitors will be mostly playing 18 holes and the club is therefore limited to half the number of members/green fees as a full 18 hole course.

Albo

Visit site
I am guessing you think that is a lot for half a course, but why should it be? Members and visitors will be mostly playing 18 holes and the club is therefore limited to half the number of members/green fees as a full 18 hole course.
I used to be a member of a 9hole course, the biggest thing for me is variety of holes, playing the same holes twice in a round isn’t great, or at least for me wasn’t. What is also true is the maintenance costs for a 9 hole course have got to be lower than an 18 holer, so I’d expect prices to be comparatively lower. In fairness I don’t know how much 18 hole courses are at that area so this may be the case

Swango1980

Visit site
Presumably the amount of land the club have to take care of is half that of an 18 hole course generally? I don't know if that halves the cost of maintenance, or maybe a bit more than half if there are some fixed costs?

I think £900 is remarkably high for a 9 hole course, but probably also depends whereabouts it is in the UK. As a player, I wouldn't like to fork out £900 to play the same 9 twice every round, have fewer members at the club (possibly smaller competitions) and all the issues about what happens when you start the 10th and there are people waiting to start their round, or you are starting a round and people are finishing the 9th.

JayB

Visit site
I think £900 is remarkably high for a 9 hole course

I'd agree on this, for instance and I know it's depends a lot on location and other available course but I have 2 9 hole courses within 30 mins drive of me, both charge £400 for full membership while all the 18 hole courses range from around £1200 and above.

While I don't expect management and maintenance costs for a 9 hole course to be half an 18, as a customer/member I wouldn't be willing to pay more than 50% than local 18 hole courses.

Just looking on Google, I found a 9 hole course charging £940 and 2 18 hole courses less than a couple of miles away charging £1045 and £1290. Now I don't know the courses so this is only based on google searching but to me the 9 hole course would have to be amazing to even consider it

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to be a member of a 9hole course, the biggest thing for me is variety of holes, playing the same holes twice in a round isn’t great, or at least for me wasn’t. What is also true is the maintenance costs for a 9 hole course have got to be lower than an 18 holer, so I’d expect prices to be comparatively lower. In fairness I don’t know how much 18 hole courses are at that area so this may be the case
I agree on alot of what you say and a nine holer course is not for me either. But whilst course mainternence costs are likely to be a about half that of an 18 holer, so will the income. So if a club is to balance the books they will need to charge the similar memebership fee's to other local course of similar qualify.

Albo

Visit site
I agree on alot of what you say and a nine holer course is not for me either. But whilst course mainternence costs are likely to be an about half that of an 18 holer, so will the income. So if a club is to balance the books they will need to charge the similar memebership fee's to other local course of similar qualify.
Yes I understand from an economic standpoint, however, the product is inferior and for me at least the argument doesn’t stack up overall (not saying it’s wrong economically) to make it a worthwhile spend if it’s the same money going out

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We have just received an email informing us of a 10% increase for the forthcoming year. They are going to levy 7% next month and defer the other 3% for 6 months in the hope that they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and find the funding to do away with it.

I asked if they were hoping for a decrease in energy costs, but they are not, they have just tied into a two-year deal, so they'll be looking at other funding streams.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cooden Beach is just under £1,500.00 a year for full membership.
As much as I love the course, I am having real difficulty in justifying my membership there.
I'm just not playing enough, due to working every Saturday and every other Sunday, on a pro rata basis it's costing me a bloody fortune.
Days of chasing a handicap are over and my main reason for staying is to keep my handicap active so that I can play in open competitions, but the more midweek opens I play in, the less I play at Cooden!!
I should jack it in, but I'll miss the course...