Coping with Self-Isolation

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
It's quite tricky for us, just under 2 years a go my wife got cavitating pneumonia and sepsis and nearly died. She is 44 and after nearly 2 years one of her lungs has still not recovered, it has scarring and she is being monitored quarterly by the hospital. She works full time and on the surface seems perfectly fine however she easily gets out of breath and tired. She is also a school teacher as well as being in a senior role where she works with 6 other schools and new trainee teachers so lots of exposure to people and children.

No issues at the moment and self isolation would not be an issue I just worry more what might happen if she got it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had what appears to be an upper respiratory infection since Saturday. Slept badly each night due to coughing and spluttering through the night. I feel fine-ish but the lack of sleep and hacking cough is not pleasant. Although the sinuses appear to be improving slightly the cough and desire to shift the wall paper paste lining my throat is tiring.

HID did a mega shop today, at least 2 weeks worth of everything bar bread and milk that will need 'fresh' and the intention is to go nowhere till I get an idea which direction its taking.

Big bowling Open this coming weekend and seriously thinking of giving it a miss. As for the 14 day thing, no problem with it. Got loads of books and the TV + are you ever really isolated when you have the internet?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had what appears to be an upper respiratory infection since Saturday. Slept badly each night due to coughing and spluttering through the night. I feel fine-ish but the lack of sleep and hacking cough is not pleasant. Although the sinuses appear to be improving slightly the cough and desire to shift the wall paper paste lining my throat is tiring.

HID did a mega shop today, at least 2 weeks worth of everything bar bread and milk that will need 'fresh' and the intention is to go nowhere till I get an idea which direction its taking.

Big bowling Open this coming weekend and seriously thinking of giving it a miss. As for the 14 day thing, no problem with it. Got loads of books and the TV + are you ever really isolated when you have the internet?
Hope you're OK mate ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is what it is, all you can do is try to mitigate the chances of catching anything since we know society tends to be selfish and "me" centred.
I have to visit countless homes everyday, and cannot count the numbers of times someone is home "ill" from work, but happy to have you do what they want done. As a result, I always carry alcohol gel and clean my hands after leaving each property. I also wipe my tools down regularly.
How many times have you seen someone walking out of a toilet straight past the sinks, soap and dryer ....men and women. No thanks, I will try and protect myself where I can:)

I have no problem with self isolation if the risk is there

I have been on two cruises, and the amount of times I have been in toilets and seen men Walk out of cubicles and stand up latrines and not washed there hands is astonishing. First thing they touch after doing up there flies. The door handle. Then they wonder why ships get novavirus.

Wolf

Visit site
I have been on two cruises, and the amount of times I have been in toilets and seen men Walk out of cubicles and stand up latrines and not washed there hands is astonishing. First thing they touch after doing up there flies. The door handle. Then they wonder why ships get novavirus.
Its not just cruise ships Tashy, that will be every public toilet you use and maybe some cases in your own home.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have no idea what he is going to do or whether he has been advised to do anything. I will ask him. He is on holiday with a group of mates - his wife and daughter are at home. BTW - Aberdeen and Glasgow have airports from which you can fly to Italy :)

I get it, although if he's not already taking protective steps while he's in a country experiencing a mini explosion of cases I don't really think i'd care any more for his UK family than I do for all the Italian families he's potentially risking with his mates if he's still skiing

So your Q of " what does he do when he gets back? " is a moot point. Isn't it more a case of 'what does he do yesterday/today'

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So we have a patient dying with relatives in a so far unaffected area of Italy wanting to fly in to be with their loved one. Not got any issue as the patient is not infected (and has been tested) but clearly some of the staff especially those giving 1-2-1 nursing a tad nervous even though they are maintaining the trust and NHS England infection control protocols

Tashyboy

Visit site
I get it, although if he's not already taking protective steps while he's in a country experiencing a mini explosion of cases I don't really think i'd care any more for his UK family than I do for all the Italian families he's potentially risking with his mates if he's still skiing

So your Q of " what does he do when he gets back? " is a moot point. Isn't it more a case of 'what does he do yesterday/today'

Morning Slab, I was on the phone last night to someone in Northern Italy. She was on about a story I had not heard. Apparently 40 folk from northern Italy turned up in Mauritius for a holiday. Immigration noticed on there passports where they were from and said ” if you stay it will be 2 weeks of self isolation” then they would have to go home. In essence that never stayed in the country and went home. Dont know if it is true. However I told her that Australia was the only country that never had deaths from the Spanish flu around 1918 because they never let anyone in. in essence the country went into lockdown.
Hope alls well out there.

Wonder how “Italian outcast” is. ?

Wolf

Visit site
Morning Slab, I was on the phone last night to someone in Northern Italy. She was on about a story I had not heard. Apparently 40 folk from northern Italy turned up in Mauritius for a holiday. Immigration noticed on there passports where they were from and said ” if you stay it will be 2 weeks of self isolation” then they would have to go home. In essence that never stayed in the country and went home. Dont know if it is true. However I told her that Australia was the only country that never had deaths from the Spanish flu around 1918 because they never let anyone in. in essence the country went into lockdown.

Wonder how “Italian outcast” is
. ?
Probably enjoying the slopes without a care in the world about starting his precautionary isolation and will only be bothered by it when he has to return home through and airport filled with people, then sitting onbthe bacteria breading ground that is the air conditioned plane but will likely go straight into isolation at home and claim how hard he has it.. Or maybe it was just the cynic in me that read the posts that way ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If by ‘Italian Outcast’ you mean my brother - well he is in Cervinia and flying back Saturday. His group have not been advised of anything they have to do in respect of precautions. They are fully aware and are not treating this lightly.

[EDIT] They flew into and will fly out of Turin. And the Aosta Valley region where they are is not one of the affected regions - as neither is Turin. Yet.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Wonder how “Italian outcast” is. ?

Morning, Yeah story is true as far as I can tell, the rest of the folk on the flight were allowed in but it was basically an ultimatum for those deemed higher risk; isolation for the duration of your hols or get aff oor island :eek:

Tashyboy

Visit site
If by ‘Italian Outcast’ you mean my brother - well he is in Cervinia and flying back Saturday. His group have not been advised of anything they have to do in respect of precautions. They are fully aware and are not treating this lightly.
Brother ??, every days a skool day, glad he is ok. Give me a shout when you want a fourball after two weeks isolation ?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I run a small business, it is mine and my wifes. We have had to close for 1 or 2 days previously due to snow but no more than that. If I am not in, if we can not open, if we can not ship out then we would be in major, major trouble. I would work a way around it where possible as no business = no income.

In terms of how would I cope with 2 weeks off in theory, no problem.

Very important people don't go into panic mode right now. Don't forget, if you are fit and healthy you will likely brush this off. Not long until the weather warms off and viruses tend to disappear anyway.

Doesn't matter if you are fit and healthy, if you pick up the virus and become a carrier it's who you pass it it on to.

Hypothetically, if I unknowingly became a carrier due to travel through work, the mother in law is nearly 90 and has just recently had a really bad chest infection, my dad is 83 with underlying health issues and my daughter suffers from asthma, if, I then passed it on to them, they would be more at risk than myself.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Probably enjoying the slopes without a care in the world about starting his precautionary isolation and will only be bothered by it when he has to return home through and airport filled with people, then sitting onbthe bacteria breading ground that is the air conditioned plane but will likely go straight into isolation at home and claim how hard he has it.. Or maybe it was just the cynic in me that read the posts that way ?

Cannot remember where I read it but I stumbled acros a piece which stated where is the safest place to sit on a plague/ Cov19 infested plane, apparently it’s a window seat as your less likely to get up and go to the toilet and pass the lurgy carriers. ?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

I work in a call centre, thankfully I'm in IT and we have our own wing away from the great unwashed and that is not me being flippant. As above the number of men, well teenagers that use the gents and do not wash their hands is disgusting. Some of the people in there are absolute mingers, no self hygene or any kind, the place is just one giant petri dish

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cannot remember where I read it but I stumbled acros a piece which stated where is the safest place to sit on a plague/ Cov19 infested plane, apparently it’s a window seat as your less likely to get up and go to the toilet and pass the lurgy carriers. ?

Is Air Lurgy a sister company of Aer Lingus!