Coping with Self-Isolation

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How would you cope and how would it impact your life if you had to self-isolate for two weeks.

In a previous role I was business continuity manager for a major government service.

The service infrastructure was monitored, maintained and managed by a team of six in a data centre. Only they could do their role due to security constraints. I had to develop business continuity plans agreed with the government department for coping with loss of members of the team due to a Bird Flu pandemic in the UK back when Bird Flu was a high risk. It seemed very unlikely to happen - but I had to consider all scenarios including all of the team being off sick - ramping numbers down from 6 to zero - working out how the service would be impacted and what we would do to cope.

The Bird Flu pandemic didn't happen - however a few months later I had to activate the business continuity plan due to very heavy snow across south of England; roads were blocked - and only one member of the team managed to get to the data centre. And working with the department we stopped work on all aspects of service delivery as we had planned - and it worked well - but if we hadn't had the plan in place it would have been a confused scramble.

Though it seems excessive and over-the-top to consider such things in such detail in advance - it is what business has to do - and perhaps it is really what individuals should think about.

So looking at where we are with Coronavirus (Covid-19) how would a two week period of self-isolation impact you and your family. Could you manage? What about your work? Your income (if zero hours for instance).

Maybe we each have to start thinking about this - just in case.

My brother is currently skiiing in Italy...what does he do when he gets back? His wife and daughter are a midwife and nurse respectively working in major hospitals in Aberdeen and Glasgow. Has he to isolate himself from work and them for two weeks? He can work from home easy enough. But what about his wife and daughter?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Since the 2 week figure is just a guess, and no one knows if it is enough, it seems pretty pointless.

Me? I would be quite happy sitting at home watching drivel on the telly, drinking beer all day. My only concern would be having Mrs Mogs around being sensible.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since the 2 week figure is just a guess, and no one knows if it is enough, it seems pretty pointless.

Me? I would be quite happy sitting at home watching drivel on the telly, drinking beer all day. My only concern would be having Mrs Mogs around being sensible.

Guessing you are no longer working? But if you are still working...and would we be expected to have little of no contact with rest of family and friends. If we are advised to self-isolate are we supposed to be - literally - in solitary confinement? It's fine joking about this.

But my brother may well have to self-isolate when he returns from Italy...and so the risk is real - especially given what his wife and daughter do.

If you were a future dad would you want your partner being looked after by a midwife who has been exposed to someone who may have the virus - and so may have the virus themself? I think that I know the answer to that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sadly for me, due my injuries, long periods of being at home on my own have been quite common through the years.

My biggest problem is boredom eating and I have often put on many pounds in weight during such periods.

Where there is a family residence there is advice coming out about how to proceed to help to avoid passing anything on to the rest of of the family. It is a very hard thing not to do. I had Norovirus a couple of years back and despite isolating myself in upstairs rooms I still had to use the kitchen for food and drinks and despite every precaution being taken that I could think off my Bro and SIL who were staying with me for one night only still caught it.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sadly for me, due my injuries, long periods of being at home on my own have been quite common through the years.

My biggest problem is boredom eating and I have often put on many pounds in weight during such periods.

Where there is a family residence there is advice coming out about how to proceed to help to avoid passing anything on to the rest of of the family. It is a very hard thing not to do. I had Norovirus a couple of years back and despite isolating myself in upstairs rooms I still had to use the kitchen for food and drinks and despite every precaution being taken that I could think off my BIL and SIL who were staying with me for one night only still caught it.
...and so should you back then have put yourself into solitary...?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...and so should you back then have put yourself into solitary...?

I thought I had by living in the upstairs of my house whilst they lived in the downstairs apart from the kitchen. I realised now that wiping down the surfaces is not enough you have to antibacterial clean every single thing you touch.

However the best at the time was probably to advise them to get a hotel as the virus was probably already on things like the front door handles by the time they arrived.

When I was over the contagious period my daughter came home armed with masses of anti bacterial wipes and sprays and helped me to do a deep clean of the house and she never got it.

Wolf

Visit site
Mrs Wolf cousin is a school teacher in Croydon and has just arrived back from Venice and has been told to self isolate as it's likely she has been in contact with carriers of Covid19.

In my case I'd cope pretty well if it was just me I have a gym set up in one half of the double garage so could still train, would be able to get people to go shopping for me for food etc just get them to leave it at the end of driveway. Could sleep lots, watch plenty of films and could watch all the sports i enjoy hassle free.. Being quarantined at home is no longer like solitary confinement of old and we aren't cut off from the world thanks to social media, video calling etc we can still see and speak to people daily, which would still allow me to do a certain amount of work from home to. This site is a classic example we're all spread across the country but able to interact in real-time.

The issue I'd have is it wouldn't be just me, Mrs Wolf can't work from home and gets naff all sick pay, and would go stir crazy a long time before I would.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Let's just say that Tashyboy spent last night googling the web re what foods etc to keep in should that very case arise. Just got back from ALDI having spent 90 odd quid stocking up. Which includes a load of lavvy rolls. If it's not required in will still be used. It's not my sanity that would be pushed to the limit but Missis Ts.
Re SILH opening post, as far as Tashyboy is concerned that isolation is gonna happen to some. Ignore at you peril.
Just thought, need to get a load of popcorn in if I am isolated for reading on here. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Mrs Wolf cousin is a school teacher in Croydon and has just arrived back from Venice and has been told to self isolate as it's likely she has been in contact with carriers of Covid19.

In my case I'd cope pretty well if it was just me I have a gym set up in one half of the double garage so could still train, would be able to get people to go shopping for me for food etc just get them to leave it at the end of driveway. Could sleep lots, watch plenty of films and could watch all the sports i enjoy hassle free.. Being quarantined at home is no longer like solitary confinement of old and we aren't cut off from the world thanks to social media, video calling etc we can still see and speak to people daily, which would still allow me to do a certain amount of work from home to. This site is a classic example we're all spread across the country but able to interact in real-time.

The issue I'd have is it wouldn't be just me, Mrs Wolf can't work from home and gets naff all sick pay, and would go stir crazy a long time before I would.

Wolf, did Mrs Wolfs Cousin go to Venice as part of a school trip or a solo holiday. Think last week or so in Venice was a masquerade gala week so lots of interaction.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is what it is, all you can do is try to mitigate the chances of catching anything since we know society tends to be selfish and "me" centred.
I have to visit countless homes everyday, and cannot count the numbers of times someone is home "ill" from work, but happy to have you do what they want done. As a result, I always carry alcohol gel and clean my hands after leaving each property. I also wipe my tools down regularly.
How many times have you seen someone walking out of a toilet straight past the sinks, soap and dryer ....men and women. No thanks, I will try and protect myself where I can:)

I have no problem with self isolation if the risk is there

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
Wolf, did Mrs Wolfs Cousin go to Venice as part of a school trip or a solo holiday. Think last week or so in Venice was a masquerade gala week so lots of interaction.
Solo holiday to the galas i believe got engaged whilst she was there so her and the fiance are now in isolation but so is her mum as a result of living with her

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Surely being in Croydon is a bigger risk than covid19!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Especially the Thornton heath area she lives and teaches, think I'd take my chances in Wu Han ?

It gets worse for the poor woman!

I used to see a young lady from Thornton Heath and the place is in need of some US friendly fire!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Guessing you are no longer working? But if you are still working...and would we be expected to have little of no contact with rest of family and friends. If we are advised to self-isolate are we supposed to be - literally - in solitary confinement? It's fine joking about this.

But my brother may well have to self-isolate when he returns from Italy...and so the risk is real - especially given what his wife and daughter do.

If you were a future dad would you want your partner being looked after by a midwife who has been exposed to someone who may have the virus - and so may have the virus themself? I think that I know the answer to that.

Cool, here's murph after his two weeks:

fat-thor.jpg

But just in case you were joking about it being fine to joke

I assume your brother is already taking this as seriously as he needs and given the work roles his family have he has already started his isolation before returning home? Or does he plan to carry on living it up on the slopes with them and just worry about it when he hits the tarmac at gatwick?

Wolf

Visit site
It gets worse for the poor woman!

I used to see a young lady from Thornton Heath and the place is in need of some US friendly fire!
I agree wholeheartedly with that we have to go visit now and again im surprised my car still has windows and wheels. I've felt safer patrolling through Helmand on foot...

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with that we have to go visit now and again im surprised my car still has windows and wheels. I've felt safer patrolling through Helmand on foot...

the Helmand locals are probably a lot friendlier and better looking too!