Coping with Self-Isolation

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't matter if you are fit and healthy, if you pick up the virus and become a carrier it's who you pass it it on to.

Hypothetically, if I unknowingly became a carrier due to travel through work, the mother in law is nearly 90 and has just recently had a really bad chest infection, my dad is 83 with underlying health issues and my daughter suffers from asthma, if, I then passed it on to them, they would be more at risk than myself.
Quite true but equally accurate for all winter viruses that go reach each year. This one seems particularly contagious so extra steps are being taken but each of us could be a flu carrier right now and be unaware.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Brother ??, every days a skool day, glad he is ok. Give me a shout when you want a fourball after two weeks isolation ?
Bit tricky with him being in Aberdeen and me in Surrey - but as he's a member of Machrie hope to be heading out there later in the year - but probably a bit difficult making a fourball...:)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People with beards wearing face masks - do they not realise they have no seal and any viruses in the beard will thrive !!

The fabric on OtC masks is far too coarse to filter out the virus - it might help stopping you sneezing and coughing on everyone within about 3m but as a self protection device I'm afraid you'd actually need a full hazmat suit with breathing equipment!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
People with beards wearing face masks - do they not realise they have no seal and any viruses in the beard will thrive !!

The fabric on OtC masks is far too coarse to filter out the virus - it might help stopping you sneezing and coughing on everyone within about 3m but as a self protection device I'm afraid you'd actually need a full hazmat suit with breathing equipment!
cdc_beard_infographic_full.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is also one where the virus can get in through your eyes so you need to be wearing goggles as well! The standard dentist mask is not going to cut it on its own I'm afraid.

My BiL has just flown back to China, he works there, and he has his goggles and proper mask with him (they are not swimming goggles incidentally)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Mrs has oft said that face masks are bit of a waste if time if you need serious protection - OK for stopping splash, spray or hand-to-mouth stuff - but pretty much no use for anti-virus or air-borne protection. Need a chemical warfare or gas mask for decent protection...but who knows.

Anyway - I've just received Email with company advice on Covid-19. Don't travel to areas isolated by Governmental Statement; avoid travel to areas where specific areas where cases have been confirmed, and if you work in an Office continue to go into work.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So much rubbish. We have so many fit masked tested nurses and those that fail (beards etc) have alternative options so all the staff are fully protected at all times. We are as fully prepared (and have a MERS case and a relative travelling from Italy) and infection control has reviewed the policy and how we're dealing with the patient. I am sure measures are equally as robust at all hospitals particularly in vulnerable areas like A&E and ICU

Visit site
Morning Slab, I was on the phone last night to someone in Northern Italy. She was on about a story I had not heard. Apparently 40 folk from northern Italy turned up in Mauritius for a holiday. Immigration noticed on there passports where they were from and said ” if you stay it will be 2 weeks of self isolation” then they would have to go home. In essence that never stayed in the country and went home. Dont know if it is true. However I told her that Australia was the only country that never had deaths from the Spanish flu around 1918 because they never let anyone in. in essence the country went into lockdown.
Hope alls well out there.

Wonder how “Italian outcast” is. ?
Thriving marra - I'm not in the WWZ lockdown zone ;)

its all a bit crazy = there are some cases in a small village near us - but otherwise there's no chaos here
The new case count is slowing down a bit in Lombardy
The measures taken locally - closing bars etc don't really matter much - i still walk the dogs each day to the local bar for a coffee and they get their biscuit :p
All golf is cancelled at the moment which is a bind
Nearly all my working is remote so thats not an issue

The only hassle is I'm due to go back to Scotland to visit my father - have put that on hold for a week or so and then see - the flights from Bergamo and Milan to the UK are all running as normal
Mind, that may change - reading between the lines that case in NI flew from Bergamo (or milan malpensa) to Dublin I reckon - so that may create some concerns

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thriving marra - I'm not in the WWZ lockdown zone ;)

its all a bit crazy = there are some cases in a small village near us - but otherwise there's no chaos here
The new case count is slowing down a bit in Lombardy
The measures taken locally - closing bars etc don't really matter much - i still walk the dogs each day to the local bar for a coffee and they get their biscuit :p
All golf is cancelled at the moment which is a bind
Nearly all my working is remote so thats not an issue

The only hassle is I'm due to go back to Scotland to visit my father - have put that on hold for a week or so and then see - the flights from Bergamo and Milan to the UK are all running as normal
Mind, that may change - reading between the lines that case in NI flew from Bergamo (or milan malpensa) to Dublin I reckon - so that may create some concerns

Good to hear apart from the golf, was talking to a lady who lives just north of Ceriano Laghetto, she was gutted the market in Saronno was cancelled. Made me chuckle. She has A holiday booked in Newcastle on March 12th but does not know how that will pan out. Look after yourself me man. ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Depressing reading. I'm due to travel with a group of friends to Japan in 3 weeks time. At the moment, we are all still committed to travel, a lot of personal expense paid out etc., and not covered by any insurance if we cancel because of non-inclination to travel. We are checking the the Foreign Office daily, Japan is currently not on the "Don't Go" list. Have checked with my office, they are not recommending no tavel, or self isolation on return, although one of the guys travelling has been recommended to work from home when he comes back. Of course we will cancel if we really have too, individual safety is paramount, not to mention that of family and friends, or the risk of transmission if infected. It's quite a dilemma based on the current global situation. One of the biggest problems is discerning fact from fiction, or, fact from hyperbole. Essentially, we are literally waiting to the last minute before making any further decision, unless the Foreign Office tell us otherwise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depressing reading. I'm due to travel with a group of friends to Japan in 3 weeks time. At the moment, we are all still committed to travel, a lot of personal expense paid out etc., and not covered by any insurance if we cancel because of non-inclination to travel. We are checking the the Foreign Office daily, Japan is currently not on the "Don't Go" list. Have checked with my office, they are not recommending no tavel, or self isolation on return, although one of the guys travelling has been recommended to work from home when he comes back. Of course we will cancel if we really have too, individual safety is paramount, not to mention that of family and friends, or the risk of transmission if infected. It's quite a dilemma based on the current global situation. One of the biggest problems is discerning fact from fiction, or, fact from hyperbole. Essentially, we are literally waiting to the last minute before making any further decision, unless the Foreign Office tell us otherwise.
If you do go, hope you enjoy it if you do, it may make sense to buy masks and goggles before you go. Sounds extreme but it will be pretty standard out there I suspect and that may enable you to get around better. Wearing face masks is not unusual in parts of SE Asia and at the moment in particular it is probably default. Easier to get them here than trying to buy them out there as soon as you arrive. My BiL bought his online before flying back to China this week.

Tashyboy

Visit site
If you do go, hope you enjoy it if you do, it may make sense to buy masks and goggles before you go. Sounds extreme but it will be pretty standard out there I suspect and that may enable you to get around better. Wearing face masks is not unusual in parts of SE Asia and at the moment in particular it is probably default. Easier to get them here than trying to buy them out there as soon as you arrive. My BiL bought his online before flying back to China this week.
When I spoke to the lady from Italy the other night, she is a right character and always wheeling and dealing. She told me she was thinking about buying as many masks as she could whilst she stayed in Krackow last weekend as she thought she could make a tidy profit when back in Italy. ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I spoke to the lady from Italy the other night, she is a right character and always wheeling and dealing. She told me she was thinking about buying as many masks as she could whilst she stayed in Krackow last weekend as she thought she could make a tidy profit when back in Italy. ???
We used to sell those masks many years ago to companies with clean rooms. Not many, just a small number each year. When there was another of these scares, it may have been SARS, we were contacted from companies from Hong Kong, Malaysia etc trying to buy them as their own stocks had run out. Ironic as the products were being made out there and shipped over here! Anyway, when I tried to buy more in the UK I discovered they had all been snapped up by the big boys. I would suspect that is the same now. Your friend may be able to buy some to sell on Ebay, local market etc but the bulk stuff has likely already been snapped up. That would have happened on day one of the scare in China.

Tashyboy

Visit site
We used to sell those masks many years ago to companies with clean rooms. Not many, just a small number each year. When there was another of these scares, it may have been SARS, we were contacted from companies from Hong Kong, Malaysia etc trying to buy them as their own stocks had run out. Ironic as the products were being made out there and shipped over here! Anyway, when I tried to buy more in the UK I discovered they had all been snapped up by the big boys. I would suspect that is the same now. Your friend may be able to buy some to sell on Ebay, local market etc but the bulk stuff has likely already been snapped up. That would have happened on day one of the scare in China.

The stories I could tell you about her wheeling and dealing. She is the funniest woman I know. When I told her me daughter was divorcing her ex the phone went quiet. After a few seconds she said “ Andy I don’t drink but I am going to get Alfredo to buy me a bottle of champagne coz her ex is a ***”.
Lovely long story about her investing in silver if you have 10 minutes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

We did look at getting some before going to Japan, but they are being touted at 10 times the normal value at the moment as demand outstrips supply

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would self-isolation include driving down to the golf club, playing 18 holes on my own, waving to anyone from a distance and then changing my shoes in the car park and driving home without going into the clubhouse? ;-)

Wolf

Visit site
Would self-isolation include driving down to the golf club, playing 18 holes on my own, waving to anyone from a distance and then changing my shoes in the car park and driving home without going into the clubhouse? ;-)
No because some muppet would risk catching it just to moan at you for changing shoes in the car park?