Coping with Self-Isolation

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had what appears to be an upper respiratory infection since Saturday. Slept badly each night due to coughing and spluttering through the night. I feel fine-ish but the lack of sleep and hacking cough is not pleasant. Although the sinuses appear to be improving slightly the cough and desire to shift the wall paper paste lining my throat is tiring.

HID did a mega shop today, at least 2 weeks worth of everything bar bread and milk that will need 'fresh' and the intention is to go nowhere till I get an idea which direction its taking.

Big bowling Open this coming weekend and seriously thinking of giving it a miss. As for the 14 day thing, no problem with it. Got loads of books and the TV + are you ever really isolated when you have the internet?

Out of the weekend's Open, and couldn't go out if I wanted to. Although I feel marginally better today, the cough now starts somewhere near my boots. Not bothered catching it in a tissue, I'm using industrial strength kitchen roll. Not had a cough like this for 20+ years... its not pleasant.

HID is bowling tomorrow and Sunday, and if I'm well enough I might catch the final Sunday afternoon. Equally, I'm conscious that I'd hate to give this to someone, especially the older coffin dodgers... we're out for a club meal next Friday with a member who will be celebrating his 92 birthday - he got through the first round of a pairs k'out last week. He's amazing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Some astonishing photos released by NASA flying over China. In essence the pollution has all but gone due to the lockdown. Every cloud and all that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some astonishing photos released by NASA flying over China. In essence the pollution has all but gone due to the lockdown. Every cloud and all that.
They are mostly due back to work tomorrow, probably not in Wuhan but everywhere else, so that may be short lived. It will be interesting to see if the govt learn from this or whether, as I suspect, it will simply be business as usual again ?. If we genuinely want to make a difference on the climate then the likes of China have to be brought onboard, as these pictures show..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Self isolation seems very much pushed onto the public rather than pushes businesses to do more.

In this day and age a lot of meetings could be done via facetime or conference call rather than jetting around the world. Risking spreading this unknown virus

This also would help cut our emissions greatly

But no it's fine we just can buy cars and have to self isolate

Sod big business just punish the individual

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well that was an interesting day!!!!!!!!!

PHE in and madness dealing with phone calls from press, relatives and the public. Only the 13 hour day and back this morning with the TV camped outside and journalists scurrying around the hospital looking for an angle or a story

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Depressing reading. I'm due to travel with a group of friends to Japan in 3 weeks time. At the moment, we are all still committed to travel, a lot of personal expense paid out etc., and not covered by any insurance if we cancel because of non-inclination to travel. We are checking the the Foreign Office daily, Japan is currently not on the "Don't Go" list. Have checked with my office, they are not recommending no tavel, or self isolation on return, although one of the guys travelling has been recommended to work from home when he comes back. Of course we will cancel if we really have too, individual safety is paramount, not to mention that of family and friends, or the risk of transmission if infected. It's quite a dilemma based on the current global situation. One of the biggest problems is discerning fact from fiction, or, fact from hyperbole. Essentially, we are literally waiting to the last minute before making any further decision, unless the Foreign Office tell us otherwise.

Well, we've cancelled....... :(:(. Not because we were all scared of travelling, or even becoming infected, but becauase of the wider implications if we need to self isolate, or enforce isolate. We run the risk of affecting too many other people, so we have pulled the plug on travel. Haven't cancelled flights yet because Lufthansa aren't refunding at the moment, but that may change in the next two weeks.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well, we've cancelled....... :(:(. Not because we were all scared of travelling, or even becoming infected, but becauase of the wider implications if we need to self isolate, or enforce isolate. We run the risk of affecting too many other people, so we have pulled the plug on travel. Haven't cancelled flights yet because Lufthansa aren't refunding at the moment, but that may change in the next two weeks.
Gutted for you NMW. I can thoroughly understand your thoughts. There’s something about all this Covid 19 that I am missing. There have been and will continue to be deaths, but some folk are just not getting the implications behind getting the virus. There’s a fine line between the alleged media scare and what is happening. But I still think that some folk are ignorant to what’s happening. Why’s that?

Wolf

Visit site
Good luck with Lufthansa, we're still waiting on a refund from them cancelling our connecting flight in August last year, meant we were stuck in Munich Airport departures lounge, couldn't leave the airport as we weren't meant to be there and they weren't able to provide a replacement or alternative flight to bologna meant the entire plane of passengers awaiting the connection had to fork out for different means of travel.

Wolf

Visit site
Gutted for you NMW. I can thoroughly understand your thoughts. There’s something about all this Covid 19 that I am missing. There have been and will continue to be deaths, but some folk are just not getting the implications behind getting the virus. There’s a fine line between the alleged media scare and what is happening. But I still think that some folk are ignorant to what’s happening. Why’s that?
Perhaps some aren't being ignorant at all but are merely getting on with their lives whilst maintaining good hygiene, just because some people don't go into hysteria or panic buy doesn't mean they don't take things seriously

Wolf

Visit site
Well spoke to the oldest boy about his upcoming school ski trip to Italy in April. Its all paid for he's raring to go and school still can't decide if they're going or not, nor can they tell us that if they cancel it will money be refunded to parents.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Perhaps some aren't being ignorant at all but are merely getting on with their lives whilst maintaining good hygiene, just because some people don't go into hysteria or panic buy doesn't mean they don't take things seriously
I know some people are getting on with there lives like myself and the vast majority of others. It’s the ones who go on social media and just seem to think it’s the media making a “mountain out of a mole hill”. I think these are the ones that will just carry on as normal which is the worrying aspect for me. As you mentioned it has far reaching implications.
It’s odd you should mention skiing in Italy. One of the folks that springs to mind who I have on Facebook.He is a clown, he talks about this virus not affecting his life coz he can still go out on his “benders”/ drinking. The very next post a day later he talks about how worried he is coz his lad is due to go skiing with the skool ( shire brook area) the skool should make a decision, his lads life is not worth risking etc etc. But it don’t affect his life ?

Wolf

Visit site
I know some people are getting on with there lives like myself and the vast majority of others. It’s the ones who go on social media and just seem to think it’s the media making a “mountain out of a mole hill”. I think these are the ones that will just carry on as normal which is the worrying aspect for me. As you mentioned it has far reaching implications.
It’s odd you should mention skiing in Italy. One of the folks that springs to mind who I have on Facebook.He is a clown, he talks about this virus not affecting his life coz he can still go out on his “benders”/ drinking. The very next post a day later he talks about how worried he is coz his lad is due to go skiing with the skool ( shire brook area) the skool should make a decision, his lads life is not worth risking etc etc. But it don’t affect his life ?
This post makes no sense whatsoever.. ?
That's complete contradiction you're doing the same as they are in simply carrying on as normal only difference is they've written a post on social media and you're judging them by assuming they maybe somehow clueless and should worry about them. Maybe I'm missing your point but depsite them writing a status update they are doing no different to you..

As for your mate with the Ski trip kid I don't see the issue where you think he's being contradictory. Because he can still go about his life as normal on the lash unaffected as long as he maintains decent hygiene but is rightly worried his kid maybe going to an area where there has been more cases. That's simple parenting he not worried about himself but is not wanting anything to affect his lad.