Things you didn't have as a kid...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was born just before sugar rationing came to an end.

I think my mum went a bit barmy with the stuff and we were allowed to put put heaps of it on all of our cereals etc. e.g I remember two large desert spoonfuls of sugar syrup in my porridge and 4 heaped spoonfuls in my tea.

I blame what happened for being very overweight as a child.

Is Sugar Syrup what we call Golden Syrup? Lashings on porridge but also I'd spoon a big "slab" on each Weetabix (just two though)! Luckily I think that otherwise I didn't overeat and was very active so quite a skinny kid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Haha... but on the plus side, I'm sure you learnt how to ride a bike.

I feel a bit sorry for the kids I see down the park in electric cars. They are usually obese and their dad is always following close behind. The kids on a bike or trike are having much more fun riding wherever they want to go.
I would be out every day after school playing sport of some description, on the bikes or walking to and from friends houses which in hindsight weren't as close to home as they may have seemed at the time but at least we were exercising. I got into running and joined a club around 10 years old and even when I was 15 and should have been studying for my o levels I was bunking off and working in the pro shop and would walk to the club which was around 5 miles and up several hills. These days a lot of kids do nothing and you see them in town with the obese parents usually with junk food or sweet drink, waddling round and struggling to walk too far

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was born just before sugar rationing came to an end.

I think my mum went a bit barmy with the stuff and we were allowed to put put heaps of it on all of our cereals etc. e.g I remember two large desert spoonfuls of sugar syrup in my porridge and 4 heaped spoonfuls in my tea.

I blame what happened for being very overweight as a child.
I was 6 or 7 when sugar rationing stopped but I don't really remember a sudden increase in its use by my Mam who was a real sugar fan. I remember the bottom of the wardrobe at the top of the stairs always having a mass of sugar bags, just in case rationing started again. I don't ever remember it being completely emptied.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I must have mentioned this before so apologies if I have but I took my action man to the 18th floor of a block of flats in Battersea with the parachute on. I made sure it was open and gently set him free expecting to see him glide down to the ground. Suffice to say it was carnage and I don't think we ever found the head but he was definitely invalided out of the parachute regiment after that jump

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So you had a low defence spend?😳

See you'd think so but the excessive wear on the undercarriage (due mainly to the lack of wheels) meant replacement vehicles were needed far too often
Also the 'soft skin' wasn't ideal in anything but the best of weathers :cry:

Thinking back, cornering at speed was a bit of an issue too :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is Sugar Syrup what we call Golden Syrup? Lashings on porridge but also I'd spoon a big "slab" on each Weetabix (just two though)! Luckily I think that otherwise I didn't overeat and was very active so quite a skinny kid.
Golden Syrup is/was Tate and Lyles brand name for it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was 6 or 7 when sugar rationing stopped but I don't really remember a sudden increase in its use by my Mam who was a real sugar fan. I remember the bottom of the wardrobe at the top of the stairs always having a mass of sugar bags, just in case rationing started again. I don't ever remember it being completely emptied.
It never really affected my brother because he was 4 years older than me and his habits had already been set
Hoarding- there were probably quite a few like that in 1974.
Luckily sugar does not have a use by date.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the only thing springs to mind was Broccoli, every other veg we had but never that. Unfortunately my mother died young so can't ask her why we never had it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
More likely the fact that Tate and Lyle sold off the sugar side of the business or the company that now sells it sells under a slightly different name
Lyles Golden syrup.
Possible legally now not considered a trademark (if ever )
Won't taste as good as the Tate and Lyle version, whatever they call it. The Tates version, ideally from the tin, is dangerously wonderful stuff 😋😍

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My brother used to like salad cream and crisps in a sandwich.

Remembering this, I recently tried soft white cheese (Tesco own brand Philadelphia) and crisps with wholemeal bread.
The trick is in carefully placing a few layers of crisps on one half-slice and then crunching/flattening them with the other half.
Very nice.
Must avoid it becoming addictive.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My brother used to like salad cream and crisps in a sandwich.

Remembering this, I recently tried soft white cheese (Tesco own brand Philadelphia) and crisps with wholemeal bread.
The trick is in carefully placing a few layers of crisps on one half-slice and then crunching/flattening them with the other half.
Very nice.
Must avoid it becoming addictive.

My second job after school I used to have a white roll, Walkers cheese and onion crisps and two pats of butter. Heaven. Got a bit chubby - this was mid morning!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I must have mentioned this before so apologies if I have but I took my action man to the 18th floor of a block of flats in Battersea with the parachute on. I made sure it was open and gently set him free expecting to see him glide down to the ground. Suffice to say it was carnage and I don't think we ever found the head but he was definitely invalided out of the parachute regiment after that jump

Both my action men lost an arm due to failed parachutes.