Things you didn't have as a kid...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I make sure my kids have all of that, wouldn't want them feeling like they're missing out like I did. Hard to find the balance between providing the luxuries and not spoiling them completely.

This is us 100%. Striking the balance is so hard isn't it. We struggle at times to keep them from being spoilt but we just want them to have what we didn't and to be happy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is us 100%. Striking the balance is so hard isn't it. We struggle at times to keep them from being spoilt but we just want them to have what we didn't and to be happy.
Yes agree.
But nowadays everything cost money.
I played footy all day.
Cricket in summer.
Tennis when Wimbledon was on.
Never cost a penny, but you don’t see kids in parks now with “ jumpers for goalposts” 😳😂😂

Good old days didn’t need a phone or internet.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes agree.
I played footy all day.
Cricket in summer.
Never cost a penny, but you don’t see kids in parks now with “ jumpers for goalposts” 😳😂😂

Yeah agreed. You can't most things free anymore

Swimming lessons never cost as much as they do now. Costs me £46 ISH a week for all 3 of mine to have swimming lessons (twins have a instructor to themselves so increases the price) but it's a skill we want them to have to be safe

Getting a family swim these days is almost impossible at weekends

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I always remember the other kids telling me about where they'd been on holiday in the summer or what new game they had and how it made me feel, so I usually just give in and then end up confiscating it when they start playing up.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes agree.
I played footy all day.
Cricket in summer.

We used to get chased off the local tennis courts that weren't even being used in the 90s, can't imagine how much they are to hire now if you can find one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember the other kids telling me about where they'd been on holiday in the summer or what new game they had and how it made me feel, so I usually just give in and then end up confiscating it when they start playing up.

My eldest is 7 soon, for her bday I've managed to get her a switch. My hope is we can all play as a family , some 4 player Mario kart with the twins

Anything that gets them playing together nicely is worth the effort lol 😆

4LEX

Visit site
Very fortunate to have most things I wanted when younger but always dreamt of having one of those mini cars that you can drive around in!

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My eldest is 7 soon, for her bday I've managed to get her a switch. My hope is we can all play as a family , some 4 player Mario kart with the twins

Anything that gets them playing together nicely is worth the effort lol 😆

My son is 7 and I find Mario Kart frustrating as he's bouncing off all the walls.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah agreed. You can't most things free anymore

Swimming lessons never cost as much as they do now. Costs me £46 ISH a week for all 3 of mine to have swimming lessons (twins have a instructor to themselves so increases the price) but it's a skill we want them to have to be safe

Getting a family swim these days is almost impossible at weekends
£46 ouch local canal for us.
But state of it now not a chance

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find it sad that there’s so many one parent families nowdays , I know what it’s like to grow up without a father and it’s only with time being a father and grandfather I know how important it is to have a father or mother in your life and have a stable upbringing.
I was lucky to have a very stable family life as a kid. I think it helped give me a proper grounding but society is a much different place today and whilst one parent families is not unusual it is sad that the kids of today are missing on that balance both parents can give

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seem to remember getting swimming lessons with the primary school and being on a coach once a week to the local pool. That would have been a long time ago so money was clearly not the problem for education as it is now

Yeah they changed it now from 1 year group get it to say year 4 one term year 5 then year 6 term each

No coach to the local pool , they have to walk to the secondary school nearby which takes up half the time!

Like you say money is tighter, I mean today I was at the school for stay and play as the twins there next year. It was a talk for the parents whilst they played in reception , we had to politely drummed in that if you get any benefits that entitles you to free school meals please tell the school, even though school meals are free in London for all primary school it entitles the school to extra £1500 per kid per year so please tell them as every penny helps funding wise

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Very fortunate to have most things I wanted when younger but always dreamt of having one of those mini cars that you can drive around in!

Haha... but on the plus side, I'm sure you learnt how to ride a bike.

I feel a bit sorry for the kids I see down the park in electric cars. They are usually obese and their dad is always following close behind. The kids on a bike or trike are having much more fun riding wherever they want to go.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seem to remember getting swimming lessons with the primary school and being on a coach once a week to the local pool. That would have been a long time ago so money was clearly not the problem for education as it is now
Same here, on the coach to the local pool once a week. When I got to senior school they had an outside pool and the water was always freezing.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Haha... but on the plus side, I'm sure you learnt how to ride a bike.

I feel a bit sorry for the kids I see down the park in electric cars. They are usually obese and their dad is always following close behind. The kids on a bike or trike are having much more fun riding wherever they want to go.
Normally looking at something on his phone, not really interested in the kid.

Having a bike was a real game changer as a kid, first taste of real freedom. From inner London, trips to Kent and deepest Essex (Southend 😁)were possible… and every time my mum would ask, “where you been today?” the reply was alway “just out” 😁

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sugar use was rampant back in the day.
In tea, on cornflakes, in sandwiches.
i guess the amount hidden in processed foods nowadays makes up for it.
Also on food (born in the mid 60s for context), the only pasta I ever encountered growing up was spaghetti hoops; I have no recollection of ever eating a pizza; olive oil was in a small bottle from boots for medicinal purposes.
I was born just before sugar rationing came to an end.

I think my mum went a bit barmy with the stuff and we were allowed to put put heaps of it on all of our cereals etc. e.g I remember two large desert spoonfuls of sugar syrup in my porridge and 4 heaped spoonfuls in my tea.

I blame what happened for being very overweight as a child.