Things you didn't have as a kid...

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Long trousers at school until third year!
Public schools (as we use the term) didn't have uniforms in my day.
We weren't allowed to wear denim jeans or short pants, but other than that, it was literally suit yourself.
We could wear sneakers (I believe you call them "trainers") in the spring and fall if we wished.

In high school, however, males had to wear jackets and ties, albeit still not uniforms.
Females had to wear dresses or skirts, no trousers.

None of that applies anymore. Grades K-12 kids can wear anything they want, including shorts.
So can college kids, for that matter, at public or private schools. [Not the military academies, of course.]

We're less formal than the UK.
More formal than, say, modern Denmark, where it's apparently routine to call teachers by their first names.

Here in the Northeast, however, there used to be lots of Catholic parish-run schools.
There are a lot fewer now, but those kids did wear uniforms and thus could be spotted immediately.
They were relatively common, however, and nobody gave them a second thought.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I didn’t really go without anything tbh.
had at least 1 foreign holiday abroad a year.
only through hard work from my parents.
Dad was a coal miner,mam worked in a sewing factory,so proper working class ☺️

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I stand corrected. Ive always thought Millwall was South London, and Isle of Dogs was just that.
Everyone does!😁.. “interesting” fact, Millwall only played in Millwall for the first year of their existence.

I think this thread proves that money doesn’t equal happiness, loving parents, and friends are far more valuable.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Common sense... to know I never lacked for anything important - so obviously I thought I didn't have ....everything I wanted! :ROFLMAO:

But I do remember desparately "needing" my own cricket pads... because how could I become the next Gasvaskar playing with the school kit that every kid used!! ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never really missed anything as a kid because we didn’t know any better.

Dad was a HGV driver and used to bring a Mars bar home every Friday.
He cut it into three for me my brother and sister.
So guess I missed 2/3 of a Mars bar. 😂😂

I had a great childhood and don’t envy the kids today ( smartphones etc)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Never really missed anything as a kid because we didn’t know any better.

Dad was a HGV driver and used to bring a Mars bar home every Friday.
He cut it into three for me my brother and sister.
So guess I missed 2/3 of a Mars bar. 😂😂

I had a great childhood and don’t envy the kids today ( smartphones etc)
couldn’t agree more.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Long trousers for school.
Finally got a pair in my last year at primary school.
Walking to school in winter with a dufflecoat on, but in shorts. That strange pink colour of frozen knees. Couldn't feel anything when you touched them.

Grandparents.
From age 13, there were none left alive.
Had only known two. Mum's dad died 18 years before I was born. Dad's mum died a few months after I was born.

Two older brothers - so loads of hand-me-down clothes. I liked that though.

Mum's mum lived with us. Six in the house. I think I was well looked after as the youngest. That is my lasting memory.
Material things have never had much importance for me. I don't dwell on the lack-of or the desire-for.

Toys, games and things - I can't recall if any were mine - they were ours - we shared everything.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Long trousers for school.
Finally got a pair in my last year at primary school.
Walking to school in winter with a dufflecoat on, but in shorts. That strange pink colour of frozen knees. Couldn't feel anything when you touched them.

Grandparents.
From age 13, there were none left alive.
Had only known two. Mum's dad died 18 years before I was born. Dad's mum died a few months after I was born.

Two older brothers - so loads of hand-me-down clothes. I liked that though.

Mum's mum lived with us. Six in the house. I think I was well looked after as the youngest. That is my lasting memory.
Material things have never had much importance for me. I don't dwell on the lack-of or the desire-for.

Toys, games and things - I can't recall if any were mine - they were ours - we shared everything.
Your lucky , I only had a older sister so imagine the hand me downs I got lol.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Grand Dads....... SW Durham miners died young. :cry:
Never had a full sized bike to ride except in the Summer when I had 2 or 3 weeks with the rich rellies in Romford.

However I did have the best Bogey in the street & an awesome oak sledge with runners from the local Blacksmith with proper winters to enjoy it in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Grand Dads....... SW Durham miners died young. :cry:
Never had a full sized bike to ride except in the Summer when I had 2 or 3 weeks with the rich rellies in Romford.

However I did have the best Bogey in the street & an awesome oak sledge with runners from the local Blacksmith with proper winters to enjoy it in.
What’s a bogey is it like a Steerie.?

A plank and some pram wheels red hot poker to make a hole for the steering ( nobody had drills then)🙈😂😂

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No grandparents on my mums side. She was orphaned when she was 15. It took me years to realise why she was so close to one of her aunts as it was her that looked after mum until she left home. A football. I never owned one as a kid and had to rely on mates to bring one to the park.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
New golf balls.
I always just used the balls I found so Penfold Aces, Uniroyal, Slazenger or if I was lucky, a decent Dunlop 65.

A few years ago I was at the range when I found a Prov 1 in the basket. Not new but definitely usable.
Just then a junior walked passed (about 12) so I offered him the ball. He turned down my kind offer stating he only uses Prov 1X
How things change.

Also, never had a trolley, none of us did.

This picture always makes me smile.

4-boys-carry-junior-golf-sep-20-mgj.jpg