Things you didn't have as a kid...

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be honest I think I had everything I needed as a kid. Two loving parents, we lived in a nice council house in Millwall we had holidays down Clacton in my Nans caravan, plenty of friends and freedom!

Also my dad was a delivery driver for R. Whites so we had Pop coming out our ears!😁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our holidays were at static caravan sites around England and Wales. We had a car though so were obviously doing okay.

Always took sandwiches, never had cooked food in a cafe or such.

First colour TV was a rental about 1978, first telephone around then too.

I've never had a new bike in my life.
I can relate to a good deal of this. I'm trying to remember when we changed from renting to buying a TV. I can't pick it 🤔. Funny to think of it now but back in the day, renting your tv was standard. It gave you the excitement of upgrading every couple of years 😄

Oh, and did your sandwiches taste of plastic from the sandwich box / tupperware? It doesn't happen now, somehow they fixed the plastic formula, but sandwiches tasting of plastic still lives with me 🤢

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Video recorder, live TV only in our house and if my dad didn’t want to watch something I didn’t see it.
That reminds me of my F.I.L.

Saturday night every body else wanted to watch the film on ITV, he wanted to watch the football. Sometime during the first or second match he would fall asleep. We would slowly turn the volume down change channels and start to watch the film some time later he would wake up with a loud " I was watching that".

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest I think I had everything I needed as a kid. Two loving parents, we lived in a nice council house in Millwall we had holidays down Clacton in my Nans caravan, plenty of friends and freedom!

Also my dad was a delivery driver for R. Whites so we had Pop coming out our ears!😁
Is/was there such a thing?..;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our holidays were at static caravan sites around England and Wales. We had a car though so were obviously doing okay.

Always took sandwiches, never had cooked food in a cafe or such.

First colour TV was a rental about 1978, first telephone around then too.

I've never had a new bike in my life.

But I think we were fairly typical then, people had fewer expectations and there wasn't such a chasm between the haves and the have-nots.

Mostly happy days. :)

Holidaying in static sites now isn't as good tho. They have cottoned on and fleece you left right and centre. We always went to the IOW until I was 20 I believe it was. Same week (2 in the end when money became less tight) always discounted for booking whilst still there. Included 2 meals a day and all the activities were included

Try getting them now! Kids just went to caravan for 4 nights cost like £650 think I paid for them to go and that was with nothing but the caravan, entertainment passes extra. Activities paid on top . Food on top.

Loved every iow holiday though , got to know the staff so well that ended up going out with them to play golf and such when they finished work

@Lord Tyrion yeah we rented our TV and vcr lol was great . Apparently I used to post my toys in the them so they were glad they never owned it

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
4 boys and later a sister too. Mum kicked my father out when I was about 7. Clothes were always from jumble sales. I did a paper round aged 10, then worked in a butchers shop from age 12 when not at school, part of my wage was a joint of meat and some sausages. Passed 11 plus and went to grammar school but forced to leave school at 15 and find work. Only remember one holiday.

Did ok in the long run!

Red devil

Visit site
I can relate to a good deal of this. I'm trying to remember when we changed from renting to buying a TV. I can't pick it 🤔. Funny to think of it now but back in the day, renting your tv was standard. It gave you the excitement of upgrading every couple of years 😄

Oh, and did your sandwiches taste of plastic from the sandwich box / tupperware? It doesn't happen now, somehow they fixed the plastic formula, but sandwiches tasting of plastic still lives with me 🤢
I remember being round at my mates watching Match of the Day and the telly switched off, the money had run out on the meter at the back of the telly. Yes children there was a meter on the tv! No problem, mate got a kitchen knife stuck it in the slot and cranked the mechanism until we were up and running.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was the ordinary kid who got a scholarship to a posh school.

When I went back in September and said I hadn't been away on holiday, no one believed me! We often didn't have the cash to do so!

Fliers for School trips went straight in the bin.

My uniform came from the school sale and there was plenty of stuff I didn't have.

That gave me all the incentive I needed.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember being round at my mates watching Match of the Day and the telly switched off, the money had run out on the meter at the back of the telly. Yes children there was a meter on the tv! No problem, mate got a kitchen knife stuck it in the slot and cranked the mechanism until we were up and running.

We had same meter on tv you used to get a rebate when man came round to empty it, we sometimes didn’t get rebate as we used to cut Lino in shape of coins and put that in when tv went off. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d rather look at how blessed I was. Great parents, though not rich. A week in Great Yarmouth most summers, albeit it with the rain hammering down on the caravan roof. The only let down was two younger sisters turned up!

I do prefer looking back at all the positives. We had a roof. Meals and were loved.

Both my parents worked but my nan lived opposite my school so from about 6 week after I was born mum went back to work and she looked after me every day. She was a wonderful women until she died in 1994, and I'm the oldest of 4 grandkids that side. Im the only one who actually remembers her which makes me sad but those memories last forever. Shame she never got to met any of my kids she would have loved them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I do prefer looking back at all the positives. We had a roof. Meals and were loved.

Both my parents worked but my nan lived opposite my school so from about 6 week after I was born mum went back to work and she looked after me every day. She was a wonderful women until she died in 1994, and I'm the oldest of 4 grandkids that side. Im the only one who actually remembers her which makes me sad but those memories last forever. Shame she never got to met any of my kids she would have loved them.

My nan. Mum’s mum, died in 1970. She was just fab. She lost her husband in the 1930’s, before the national health service and benefits, in the same year she lost 3 sons and her eldest daughter. My other nan left us in 1994, aged 93. What a wicked sense of humour she had.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the time I didn't miss anything. We never had foreign holidays, but none of my friends did either, so I didn't miss them, or feel hard done by. My parents provided just about everything me and my brother wanted. Tbh, they spoiled us rotten. I knew we weren't wealthy but somehow we wanted for virtually nothing.

Looking back, the older I get the more in awe I am of my parents. The more I realise how relatively poor we really were; the more I realise how many sacrifices my parents must have made, and how hard they worked to give us what we wanted.