Things you didn't have as a kid...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was lucky. Felt I had a good childhood and can't really remember going without too much, especially sweets but there again my dad did have a newsagents!! From a golfing perspective I had to buy my own clubs with my national savings stamps and could only get a half set and had to buy the rest club by club. Hardly the end of the world looking back but I did feel inferior to the other juniors with their full bag of clubs

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grew up on Brown sauce sammidges…. Still partial to one every now and again, much to the disgust of my wife and kids 😁
I stlll have brown sauce smeared over my cheese dreams , 2 slices of bread with cheese in-between dipped in egg then fried till crispy.
Only on the odd occasion as its probably about 2000 calories .

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Foreign holidays......nearest we got were the Isles of Wight and Man...
We frequented the usual UK destinations instead.
Might be a reason why I'm not a great lover of foreign travel.....
Huh ..........I never even had a UK holiday until I was 22 years old.
Mind you we did live in a very special place so it probably would have been a disappointment.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You had Sugar ?
Sugar use was rampant back in the day.
In tea, on cornflakes, in sandwiches.
i guess the amount hidden in processed foods nowadays makes up for it.
Also on food (born in the mid 60s for context), the only pasta I ever encountered growing up was spaghetti hoops; I have no recollection of ever eating a pizza; olive oil was in a small bottle from boots for medicinal purposes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sugar use was rampant back in the day.
In tea, on cornflakes, in sandwiches.
i guess the amount hidden in processed foods nowadays makes up for it.
Also on food (born in the mid 60s for context), the only pasta I ever encountered growing up was spaghetti hoops; I have no recollection of ever eating a pizza; olive oil was in a small bottle from boots for medicinal purposes.
She was also Popeyes girlfriend

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After "liking" Lord Tyrions" post i'd better state that my recent heart attack had nothing to do with sugar as I haven't used any for more than 50 years in tea, coffee, cereal or on lettuce 🤣

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Sugar was rationed until 1953 so when the restrictions were lifted folk went mad with the amount they used.
I might have been better off if we also had a sugar shortage in the 1950s as well.

Speaking of the early fifties, I remember seeing an episode of The Honeymooners
in which Jackie Gleason (as lead character Ralph Kramden) made a reference to "Princess Elizabeth."

I've obviously stuck around too long.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Holidays (you can't count a day at Rhyl as a holiday)
My own bike, had to share with my brother who is 6 years older, many times I crushed my most important bits on the bar because it was too big
Any named brand clothes, just wasn't the money for it.

I make sure my kids have all of that, wouldn't want them feeling like they're missing out like I did. Hard to find the balance between providing the luxuries and not spoiling them completely.